User Guides [WD] The Czar's guide to Carputers

1) Introduction

So why would you want a Car PC in the first place?

Well, if your can identify yourself in more than one of the scenarios below then you should certainly (at the very least) explore the idea of building one. :D

• You have this sudden craving to listen to that very Diana Krall single (which you ripped to your home PC last night) when on a long drive

• You are often Lost & confused on your way to that conference center but too proud (or maybe lazy) to ask for directions from locals

• An inexplicable desire to know the exact status of your car’s innards ranging from the mundane ( exact engine RPM) to the exotic ( instantaneous mileage ) to downright geeky (after all, the intake manifold temperature on your car is the perfect conversation starter with the PYT sitting on the passenger seat :lol: )

• Picking up an incoming call on your cellphone without running a risk of coughing up a fresh new Gandhi to the friendly neighborhood traffic cop

• Show off the latest episode of Heroes to your friends in the office parking lot

• Are serious enough about your music to try recreate a realistic soundstage in your car but your efforts are being marred by the inherently bad accoustic setup that plagues car audio

Of course, you could carry a plethora of devices in your rucksack along with a it-broke-my-bank type Head-unit mounted in your car. But face it, don't you wish cheaper yet more effective solution was available (which also has the incidental benefit of incomparable bragging rights.)

Not to mention the additional flexibility and customization opportunities it offers.

2) How to get started (aka challenges)

Now that have you decided to take the plunge, it’s time to set aside a budget and decided on what your carputer (sounds better than a Car

PC, doesn’t it ;) ) hardware and software configuration are going to look like.

Building a carputer isn’t very different from that kick-ass desktop you set up in your den, but there are some major differences, or challenges if you will, that are involved.

Power Consumption

Unlike your AC powered home rig, you cannot afford to put that screaming fast but power hungry quad core CPU or Raptor drives here. Your car PC is going to run off your car battery and alternator and you need to keep the current drain on your car electricals as low as possible, yet keeping the configuration powerful enough to allow smooth operations

Human Interface Devices

A 500 dpi laser mouse and the latest Saitek keyboard is all dandy for your den rig. However, you really cannot take your hands off the wheel to enjoy the top notch ergonomic joys of your conventional interface devices when driving the car. Fortunately, there are several other options available, and we will get to them soon (There is a full dedicated section on this later in the guide).

Operating system

Now there are people who are successfully using Linux and OS X on their car systems, But the vast majority of people use Windows XP as their operating system of choice for the simple reason that a variety of Carputer front-end options exist for Windows (both open and closed source) and there is an active base of dedicated as well as open community development efforts available for the Windows platform front-ends. Those being said, if you are still keen to use Linux or OS X (or want to write your own OS from scratch ☺), feel free to use this guide for the hardware section alone.

However, this guide will focus on windows based front-ends here onwards.

Now without much ado, let’s get to the hardware choices first. The software aspect can be handled once the hardware platform is built and ready.

CPU and motherboard

A vast variety of platforms are used by carputer enthusiasts across the globe, ranging from lowly Via C3 and Pentium III to the screaming banshee like Quad Core Extremes (no, really!)

Having said that, the current platform of choice for most people has to be the mini ITX based Intel Atom platform. Not only is it more than adequate to handle XP, MP3 playback, GPS navigation, Phone BT integration etc, it is also cheap, small and extremely frugal on power too. (Did I hear someone say HD playback, sorry, the atom won’t, but then 1080p playback on a tiny low res carputer screen isn’t what the doctor ordered for the Blue-Ray enthusiasts anyway :p)

If you cannot do without additional computing power, you could also choose the new mini ITX LGA775 offerings from Zebronics and Intel, but be prepared to spend a good bit more on the PSU too (dealt with later in the guide)

If you do however have a Via C7 or AMD Geode board lying around gathering dust, feel free to use it by all means. But if you are buying new, the Intel mini ITX D945GCLF is a no-brainer, really.

Display

Who wouldn’t love to have access to a 30” Apple Cinema display in their car, but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to understand why you cannot do that.

From personal experience, a 7” screen is possibly the best compromise between screen real-estate and the limited physical space you need to mount a screen without much trouble in a car. A lot of people use an 8.4” too which is only marginally more expensive.

Both screen sizes are available from Mumbai based firms, amsimpex.com and iride.in and range from 11,000 to 20,000 depending upon your choice of size, brightness and LCD type.

The best screen type for Car usage is the trans-reflective touch screen LCDs that can be viewed even under direct sunlight but they come at a price. I have been using a non-transreflective LCD for two years now and have not found any real reason to upgrade so far.

If you really want to work on a budget, you can buy a composite input non-Touchscreen type LCD for as low as 3-4 K INR at your local car

accessory dealer (they are used as DVD playback screens) and use a VGA- > composite breakout box to run the LCD. However, a carputer without a touchscreen isn’t very convenient. If you are still determined, move on the Human Interface section for more details on how to live

without a touchscreen monitor in your car.
Coming back to touchscreen LCDs, you can also opt for In-dash motorized display units that fit within a single DIN slot in your car and fold out when powered on. (And iride.in does offer a In-dash monitor with a built-in Amp which would potentially cost you the same as buying a LCD and head-unit separately)

A single DIN TS LCD from iride

However, I have heard of several people complaining about the mechanism getting stuck. YMMV.

Most people outside India use Xenarc/Lilliput screens. Although these aren’t available locally, LCDs from iride and amsimpex are fairly dependable, and possibly sourced from the same OEM manufacturers.

If you were to ask for my recommendation, a basic 7” touchscreen LCD with VGA input is your best bet

Do note that most car LCDs have a native resolution of 800X480 pixels but they work happily at a more standard resolution of 800X600.

HDD,ODD and Memory

1GB of DDR2 memory and that’s it. Any less and your system will act sluggish. Any more and your startup time will take a hit since we intend to use hibernate mode.

As for the HDD, do yourself a favor and get a 2.5”, 5400 rpm HDD , 160 GB ideally.

2.5” HDDs are designed for rough usage and the shocks and heat within your car may tax a regular 3.5” HDD to death quite fast.

As for the 5400 rpm recommendation, 7200 rpm disks are considered more sensitive to rough usage, and the marginally extra performance from a 7200 rpm may not be worth the risk.

The ideal ODD choice would be a slim USB ODD since you can mount one at a convenient location close to the dash and run a USB cable from the ODD to the carputer.

Having said that, I have never felt the need for a ODD in my carputer and don’t have one in it.

Power Supply

A Carputer can use several forms of PSU solutions

• 220 V inverter off the Cigaratte adapter slot: Cheap, but highly inefficient. Essentially you use a regular SMPS powered by the 220V line out from the inverter. Hoever, the DC->AC -> Back to DC conversion is ineffficient. In addition, your carputer will lose power each time you start the engine because of the voltage drop at each crank. Not recommended at all

• 220V inverter off a dedicated power bank circuit: This requires a 220V inverter powered off a 12V sealed Lead-Acid battery (e.g UPS battery) which charges off the car alternator (via a rectifier Diode to prevent the return flow of current during a crank) Although this does solve the problem of restarts during cranks, it brings in additional costs and complexity. I used this setup for a few months, and although it is a usable work-around, I really wouldn't recommend it as anything more than a stop-gap measure.

• A dedicated DC-DC PSU: The most elegant solution for a car PC. Dedicated DC-DC PSUs like the M1-ATX are specially designed to power a PC in an automotive environment. A DC-DC PSU plugs into the 12V power line and provides standard molex connectors with +5V, +12V and +3.3V to power the various subsystems of your carputer. PSUs like the M1-ATX even have a built in tank circuit that allows that PSU to provide uninterrupted power to the carputer during regular cranks.

In addition, DC/DC PSUs automate the startup/shutdown routine of your PC by powering up the PC everytime you start your car and shutting it down when you switch it off.

A SB-80D PDS from iride

I would strongly recommend the usage of a good DC-DC PSU for your carputer. Before selecting the right PSU, please make sure that the 12V power output of the PSU is adequate to power your motherboard.

E.g. The SB-80 PSU available at iride is rated at 5, 5 and 2A on the 3.3V, 5V and 12V line respectively. This is sufficient to power the Intel Atom board rated at a peak 1A on +12V and 4A on +5V. However, this would restrict your selection of usable USB ports to just two (at 500mA each) so if you want to use additional USB peripherals, you may want to upgrade to a 100 or 160W PSU paying careful attention to the available power output on each line.

Other Peripherals

Bluetooth

You would need a BT dongle to communicate with your GPS receiver and phone. Get any cheap 150 INR dongle you can lay your hands on and it would work just fine. Blue Soleil is the preferred BT stack for most car PC applications so make sure you get a Blue soleil supported module.

Radio

Many people use a USB radio module.(although I don’t). In any case, setting up the radio is as easy as procuring and installing a USB radio module and wiring it to your vehicle’s antenna. Your front end will automatically recognize and configure the rest of the stuff.

GPS device

Get any Bluetooth GPS dongle you can lay your hands on (USB would work fine too). Although Sirfstar III chipset receivers are regarded as the best, there isn’t much to differentiate between a Sirfstar or any other standard chipset.

Of course, you would also need a mapping front-end and corresponding maps to handle the map positioning and direction calculation. Read on more about it in the software section of the guide.

You would also need to do a one time pairing up of your GPS receiver with your BT stack and configure it as a Serial port slave. Take a note of the COM port that it connects to and assign the same port while configuring your front-end. (protocol = NMEA, Baud Rate = 4800)

This is what I use:

Microphone

To support phone integration, you would (of course) need a microphone. The best type of microphone for car usage is an array style microphone that help reduce noise and echo

The best place to mount the microphone is right on your sun Visor although above the dash works fine too (If running a wire to the visor proves to be a difficult task)

Beware though that phone integration solutions via your carputer are prone to cause echo problems for the calling party, although the problem is easily solved by reducing the volume of your speakers (In case you haven’t figured this already, the calling party’s voice will be output via your car speakers, and too high a volume on the speakers will cause your array mic to pick up the calling party’s voice too :p )

OBD II

OBD II or On-Board Diagnostics II is a set of standard protocols followed by automobile manufacturers to retrieve information from the vehicle ECU. An OBD II scanner connects to your vehicle’s OBD II interface and retrieves and presents real time data about your vehicle’s internals on your carputer screen.

There are three protocols in general usage viz J1850 VPW, ISO 9141-2 and J1850 PWM. To find out the protocol used in your car, you can refer to the method described here

OBDII - On-Board Diagnostic's System - Does My Car Have OBD-II? The Connector and Communications.

Subsequently, you simply need to procure and attach a OBD II scantool compliant with the protocol used on your car (available with iride), and Voila!

A COM Port OBD II Scanner

Audio Card

Although the integrated audio on the Intel Atom board is pretty decent, many of you may want to explore the option of a high fidelity dedicated audio card for your carputer.

Do keep in mind that your set of choices remain a little limited as a PCI card may be difficult to house within a slim form factor mini ITX casing even with a riser.

USB sound cards like the Asus U1 or M-Audio Transit provide a good alternative, and if you do have a good quality audio setup in a car, a dedicated sound card is highly recommended.

3) Cabinet and Final Assembly

The right choice of cabinet for a Carputer is surprisingly difficult since it needs to be small enough to fit unobtrusively at a readily accessible location within the confined space of a car.

Back in 2007, when I built my carputer, Mini ITX cabinets were unheard of in India while being pretty expensive (for a cabinet) in the US. I eventually ended up building my own chassis on a laminate board housed in a cardboard shoebox.

Shoebox PC :eek:hyeah:

Thankfully, mini ITX cabinets are relatively more easily available now at reasonable costs locally. The Zebronics Chotu at ~2K seems to be a good fit being small and unobtrusive enough to fit under the driver passenger seat (I only wish it had a better name)

A more convenient (if not better) alternative

If you are planning to use PCI cards like a PCI sound card, you may need to look at other alternatives though.

I am assuming you are familiar with assembling a computer so I will skip the details of making the connections. However, here are a few aspects that are unique to carputers.

• For mounting the HDD, buy a cheap (and thick) silicone cover for an ipod nano or similar. They are readily available at your local neigborhood electronics store for less than 50 INR. Cut out small grommets similar to the one below and mount your HDD on top of these.

This would help your HDD easily handle the shocks thrown around at it courtesy the crater sized potholes of our mean Indian streets

• Read the manual with your PSU carefully. Most DC-DC car PSUs come with a configurable jumper that will allow you to select the power down timings which ranges from 1 to 30 mins (Setting the time that the PSU stays on after vehicle power-down). Set the jumper appropriately. I use a 2-minute setting since 2 mins is sufficient for the PC to elegantly shutdown.

• When wiring the PSU, you will also need to connect the power up/down connector from the PSU to the power on/off connector on your motherboard. This connector is what enables your PSU to intelligently power on or shutdown/hibernate your PC based on the ignition key status.

• To minimize the startup time on your PC, I recommend using a WinLited version of XP to remove all non-essential services and components. Google for winlite if you need additional details

• After you have installed XP and the required drivers, treat yourself to a tequila shot (or Orange Juice) as you are (only) 30% done :p

4) Front End Selection

As stated before, we shall limit the guide the front-ends available for the Windows platform only. Although there are options including but not limited to Media Engine, Frodo Player, Street Deck etc.

However most of the action (and active development) seems to be limited to two choices, RoadRunner (FOSS, or at least was FOSS) and Centrafuse (Paid) In addition, I have personally used both the front-ends so here is my unbiased take on both:

i) RoadRunner
Roadrunner, recently renamed to riderunner is possibly the most powerful and highly customizable front-end that you can lay your hands on for your carputer.

The main developer recently sold the rights to roadrunner to a private firm but a free version of the application is still available (and they claim that a free version will always remain available, yeah-right! :mad: ) Anyway, Roadrunner was, and still remains a great front-end for a Carputer with fully customizable skins, support for various different plug-ins. and complete flexibility of implementation

Here are a few sample screenshots

LSX Void – Credit to liquid_smoke at mp3car.com

Digital FX 4.0 – Credit to JohnWPM at mp3car

Now let’s see what’s there to like, and what not to:

Pros

• Amazingly flexible and customizable

• It’s Free.yayyyy :clap:

• Supports various Navigation Frontends and you can embed any GPS program of your choice into Roadrunner ( I used to use MapMonkey)

• Media Playback uses winamp and you can customize your library which ever way you want it to behave

• At the cost of being repetitive, if you are technically inclined, RR gives you a tweakable base like no other front-end. It’s (relatively) easily customizable and provides you the freedom to setup

your carputer exactly the way you want it.

Cons

• Runs sluggish compared to Centrafuse (IMO, YMMV)

• Out-of-the-box install is not very usable and requires a good amount of tweaking to get it in good usable shape.

• Tweaking the app setup has a steep initial learning curve

• Phone Integration not built-in although you can embed phone integration app (like freephone) into it

In short, if you have the time or inclination to tweak Road(ride)runner per your liking, stop right here as you need not look any further.

II) Centrafuse

Centrafuse is a commercial application designed for usage on UMPC and carputer platforms.

Although it’s a paid (and fairly expensive) software, they do have a fully functional time-limited demo available for download from their site: www.fluxmedia.net.

It’s a pretty nifty looking application with an excellent UI although the flexibility and tweakibility is nowhere close to RR.

That does not however change the fact that it works great out-of-the-box and requires very little time from install to usage

After using RoadRunner for close to a year, I switched to Centrafuse for the sake of convenience.

Sample Screen from my Car

Media Playback screen

GPS screen with Car parked in my apartment

Pros

• A good UI focused application with intuitive controls (Having a good UI counts for a lot in a carputer since you don’t want to spend more than a fraction of a second looking at the screen while driving)

• Works well right after install. No need to mess around with cryptic ini files like RR

• In-Built Support for GPS, Phone and OBD II

Cons

• Expensive

• Limited customization potential

• Bad support for keyboard/remote keys and tardy hotkey support

• A mostly intuitive UI marred by some random UI aberrations

In short, if you do not have the time or inclination to master the esoteric ways of RR, you can choose to lose the power it offers and opt for Centrafuse (which still is a great Front end)

Other Sample Screens

Mixer

5) GPS Software
Currently, there are primarily two mapping applications available with reasonably good India Maps, and a third upcoming choice.

a) Map My India (MMI) : Although the POI information and mapping data is fairly accurate, MMI unfortunately uses a DB format compatible only with an application called iNav. Although the iNav front end is available for Symbian and Win CE, there is currently no corresponding Windows front-end for it.

b) Satguide : Which brings us to the second and only current available option for carputer users in India. Satguide maps are published by a Hyderabad based company called Satnav (www.satguide.in).

Their maps are fairly accurate and the POI information in the latest maps is quite good for most major cities.(The POI info was pathetic two years ago)

Satguide maps are accurate to by-lane levels for all major cities covering all metros and most A class cities (e.g. Jaipur/Patna etc.) Smaller towns currently have only highway level support .

Satguide coverage is more or less at par with MMI and there is no clear winner between the two.

Thankfully, Satguide map DB is in the Destinator API format. Destinator maps are supported out of the box with Centrafuse, and are also easily supported via Roadrunner (Just install the MapMonkey or Freedrive plug-in)

Once you have purchased the map files from Satguide, just copy the map folder into your Front End application folder (e.g. “root drive”\Program Files\FluxMedia\Centrafuse OR “root drive”\Program Files\Roadrunner\Mapmonkey )

Now start your CF/RR application, switch to the Navigation section, and configure it to use the India maps (and also set the appropriate COM Port for your GPS while you are at it)

Centrafuse running the CHENNAI Satguide map

c) Garmin (MMI) :

Garmin has recently launched its India maps which were so far based on Navteq maps

Although the Garmin Front end can be integrated within CF and RR, the PC version (Garmin Mobile XT) unfortunately does not have any On screen keyboard

I played around with Garmin mobile XT on my Carputer last week for a while, and although the maps are fairly accurate, there are a few major downers

a) No address search option for India maps

b) Lack of OSK

Now the latest news doing the rounds is that Garmin has tied up with MMI to offer MMI maps over the Garmin engine (which would be awesome, since the garmin engine is a joy to use) but I haven't had a chance to lay my hands on it as yet

6) Other Features
Video Playback

This one is a sitter. Just install the appropriate codecs on your windows install and you are all set.

Camera

If you installed a USB camera on the system, your front end will automatically detect it.

Note: A good place for installing a camera is just above the brakelight cluster inside the passenger cabin (unless you decide to go all out and buy a weatherproof night vision camera and install it on the rear bumper

Phone

CF supports Speakerphone integration for most Bluetooth phones out of the box., just follow the configuration wizard instructions.

Configuring a phone on RR is a little more complex and you would need to obtain a plugin like freephone and configure the ini files manually to get your phone integration up & running..

Remember, don’t cut costs on the microphone. A cheap poor quality mic will make conversations incredibly difficult as even though you will be able to hear the other party clearly, the calling party wouldn’t be as lucky.

Internet enabled applications

If you have a GPRS enabled phone, just pair it as a dial-up GPRS device via USB or Bluetooth and you are all set.

If you spend quite a bit of time in the car, getting a dedicated USB Internet access dongle from Tata Indicom or Reliance may not be a bad idea either.

Wi-Fi

Install and configure a USB wi-fi dongle, and you are all set for war-driving (although Windows kinda sucks for this)

7) Installation

Depending on your level of comfort with the electricals of your car, you can either choose to go the DIY route or get it done by a experienced ICE installer (although they would need clear directions from you)

Monitor Location

I mounted mine on top of the dash smack in the center. I simply used the mounting plate that came with the monitor with some good quality double sided tape. It has help up well for 2 years and 30K kms. :D

On-Dash Mount

To tell you the truth, I set it up there as a stop-gap measure since it was easy enough to mount it there, but it turned out to be such a convenient place that I cannot think of any place better than that.

Having said that, a lot of people mount it in-dash (requires a lot of work and would very likely require the assistance of professional fabricators), while quite a few mount it below dash, i.e. just below the HU too (although it may be unsafe since you have to take your eyes completely off the road to view the monitor.

I find the on-dash location quite appealing as it's not only easy to do, but it also keeps your eye on the road all the time (a sideways glance at the monitor at worst)

PC location

The best location would of course depend upon the car. The two favored locations, not unlike Amps are under the front seat or in the boot.

The front seat location carries the advantage of shorter cable runs, ease of wiring and reduced shocks The boot location offers more space and better air circulation.

A Car PC under the front seat

Considering the low power dissipation of Atom boards, the under seat location may be the more appropriate choice for most.

Power wiring

Wiring a Carputer is very similar to wiring an Amplifier. DC-DC PSUs require three connections. ground, +12V and signal.

The Accessory line that is available inside the passenger cabin is not designed to handle the relatively high power drain of a carputer (especially at startup) and I strongly recommend using a good Amplifier wiring kit (available at most car accessory/audio stores) to run a power cable straight from the battery (via a 15A fuse)

Fuse connections

My car (above) uses a 25A fuse since the same line drives a discrete amplifier with the PC. A 15A should suffice for the PC alone.

You can ground the unit directly on the seat rails.

It may not be a bad idea to use a plug & socket combo connection between the power lines and your Carputer near the install location. This would enable you to easily remove the carputer when giving your car for service.

As for the signal wire: When the signal wire receives a +12V signal, it powers up the PSU thereby switching the PC on.

When the +12V signal is removed, it sends a shutdown pulse to the PC thereby initiating a hibernate/shutdown (depending upon how you have configured your windows power options)

It will subsequently disconnect the power to the PC completely after a pre-determined period (based on the jumper setting you chose)

The best point to wire the signal key is to the accessory power line on the car. Thus the PC will switch on when the key is inserted and moved to the accessory position and will shutdown when you switch off the car. To switch on the PC in a switched off car, just turn the key to the accessory position to switch it on.

Alternatively, you could install a switch on the dashboard that lets you switch on/off the carputer when required.

Audio Connections

This would vary based upon the existing car audio setup you have. For most people, this would mean connecting the line out from the PC to the Aux In on the car Head-unit.

If you have a stand-alone amplifier, you could hook the line out directly into the amplifier too.

For a TA setup, with multiple line outs, wire the fronts and rears to the appropriate line-outs on the PC

8) Man-Machine Interface
Last, but certainly not the least, the Interface devices for a carputer is the one of the most critical elements for success of a project of this nature.

A well thought out interface setup will keep you satisfied with your car PC so much that your daily drive, that used to be a chore will become something you look forward to (Ok, that’s a bit of exaggeration :p ) while a bad interface setup would lead to a scenario that you wouldn’t even bother to switch it on when you drive.

The problem with Carputers, as stated earlier is you cannot use a traditional interface setup comprising of a full blown keyboard and mouse as the primary control for the PC

Thankfully, there are multiple options available and you can always get creative and think of novel approaches to solve this problem

Feel free to use one or a combination of the approaches discussed below

Touchscreen monitors

Most, if not all carputer users use a touchscreen monitor as the primary control mechanism for their PC.

A touchscreen PC combined with a touch friendly User Interface is fairly convenient (not to mention, cool) to use. Both RR and CF also have On-screen keyboards that pop up on-demand (e.g. when you want to search for a particular album)

The only disadvantage with Touchscreens is their lack of tactile feedback, which means that you will need to take your eyes off the road for any task beyond the very basic.

One workaround for this issue is to use gesture controls on the touchscreen. (e.g. swipe right with your finger to move to the next track) Both CF and RR support the usage of gestures.

Trackballs and Touchpads

A Trackball (or a touchpad) placed at convenient location (e.g. between the seats) is a decent alternative to touchscreens. However, you would definitely need to take your eye off the road to perform even the simplest task. A potential solution could be the usage of a trackball with multiple hotkeys, but am not aware of the availability of such devices in the Indian Market

Infrared Remote

Configuring your PC to accept IR inputs is cheap & Easy using WinLIRC and Girder. (It cost me all of 100 INR to build a IR receiver for my carputer). Just google for WinLIRC to learn more. In fact there is a guide for it right here on TE: http://www.techenclave.com/overclocking-n-modding/add-ir-remote-ur-pc-rs-71451.html

schematics.png

You could use any small remote placed at a convenient location (you could always use a remote mounted steering too) and map the keys to different actions per your liking.

Keyboard

Keeping a keyboard attached to the system is not really necessary but it doesn’t hurt to keep a cheap rubberized keyboard attached and stashed away in the glove or right under the seat may not a bad idea. Of course, this KB cannot serve as your primary input device.

Here’s what I use-

In addition, you could also use a small numeric keypad as an additional input device in place of a remote based solution described above.

Some people also use mini Keyboards with an integrated touchpad or trackball. Unfortunately, such combo keyboards are not readily available in India.

Griffin Powermate

A lot of users swear by it with its ergonomic design and programmable interface

I haven’t used it though

Feel free to go creative with your interface options, and if you come across an option or an idea that provides an ergonomic and usable interface method, do let us know :)

9) Costs

Alright fellas, time to tally up the expenses

The costs in the table below are approximate costs at current market rates .

There are three columns listing the components required for a bare-bones, optimal and my-dad-is-loaded-with-cash configurations.

Feel free to mix and match to get a ball-park figure for the costs you are looking at.

The four rows at the bottom list the software costs involved. Remember, the developers spend a lot of time working on the software you are going to use, so do pay your dues and avoid leeching software :p

(View in full size for details)

20090331-83p3cu2841dmewk8fif8c29jct.jpg

10) Conclusion

Building a Car PC may seem like an expensive and difficult exercise. However, it is also very rewarding and also makes for a fun DIY project.

The costs of building a car PC isn’t exactly too high if you consider the fact that purchasing a separate GPS unit , high end head units, DVD players and other paraphernalia (that would just about approach the capabilities of your carputer) will cost you more than 3X to 4X the money.

In addition, the open and flexible nature of a car PC will ensure that future upgrades and feature enhancements are easy and quick to deploy (want AAC playback, just add AAC codecs vs. replacing the entire HU for one that supports it)

If the idea excites you (and not just the bragging rights aspect of it), do give it a shot, and let us know how it goes.

If you run into trouble, feel free to post back with any questions or concerns that you have :hap2:

WTH has happened to reps in this forum !!!

Furthermore, mods need to look into why the tags [floatleft] & [floatright] fail to work for some mysterious reason.

There'd be a lot less white space in the articles and much tighter presentation :)

superb and detailed guide Sir :D It was a really nice experience to read it . deserved the Grand prize !:hap2:

There is one thing missing here, how easy is it hide the fact that you have a car PC, when you are not present :)

Is the monitor ontop the dash attached with velcro ?

Party Monger said:
Nice guide, how does your battery fare after putting the carputer?

no discernible impact

just don't let it run too long when the engine ain't running

blr_p said:
There is one thing missing here, how easy is it hide the fact that you have a car PC, when you are not present :)

Is the monitor ontop the dash attached with velcro ?

no, from the outside, it doesn't look like anything more than a cheap car DVD player screen

the screen can however be easily removed as it is mounted via a plastic lock, so if i have to give the car away for service, i take it out

And you can remove thecarputer and use the wind as the carputer!! haha

A well setup dedicated PC provides a better solution vs using a netbook for the purpose :p

That netbook shall be put to better use :)

PS: Thanks for appreciating guys

Awesome guide.... :)

A Carputer in action

Videos of cisco_tech's carputer

Ahmedabad meet with 2 members :p

[youtube]A6p9V7lUvGo[/youtube]

[youtube]FcgQpvdWQfk[/youtube]

Just as a suggestion,

I would recommend using Solid Stare Flash Drives instead of Mechanical HDDs. Readson: Potholes of our roads can cause lot of head crashes and eventually data loss :)

But the tradeoff is higher price of SSDs vs normal HDD

superczar said:
^^ 2 + years and a 2.5" HDD mounted on rubber grommets is still going strong :)

you should consider yourself lucky:p

Here we got lots of Blind speed breakers and potholes which can't be seen by driver unless he crossed over it:D

Amazingly brilliant guide but why not just use a netbook like eee pc in your car and save from all the trouble of setting up this carputer.

Superb write up czar.

btw. You have that Andrea Mic and Sound Card ? I have ordered it via KMD.

I will also post my Carputer Guide soon. though my project is still not done yet.

Yet to buy Lots of Goodies.

@Gauri. SSD is darn expensive right now. Thats true that You wont be able to see the hibernation screen when you Hibernate your carpc. :D

Back