We want to know everything about you -- Aadhar

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Nice satire, but eerily on the spot.

https://scroll.in/article/847110/we...ernment-handout-that-you-wont-read-on-aadhaar

Dear people of India,

Greetings from your government!

As we celebrate seven decades of freedom from the tyranny of the British Raj, we thought we’d make your day by taking some time out from our busy schedules to explain some things to you. We would have been happier if we didn’t have to do this all the time. However, if talking to you dunderheads is going to get us some peace and quiet around here, then that’s what we’re going to have to do.

Surprised by our tone, are you? Well, this is how we always write our missives. It’s just that usually we have some low-life bureaucrat convert it into polite language so that it makes it easier for you to digest. However, we don’t have any patience left so we’re going to break the fourth wall and shower you clueless morons with some hard truths.

You see, you idiots have been watching too many American political shows and movies which have filled your head with stupid ideas. You’ve begun to forget your place in life and have deluded yourselves into believing that the government’s function is to serve the public and that in a liberal democracy, the Constitution remains supreme. You’ve even convinced yourselves that you’re entitled to privacy and are allowed to maintain secrets that the government doesn’t know about.

Well, we’re here to give you dum-dums a reality check. That’s not how the real world works, sunshine. Remember which country you live in. Don’t forget that you’re Indian. In our wonderful land, your official designation of “citizen” exists only on your passport and in your civics textbooks. For all practical purposes, you’re a subject. The government doesn’t exist for to serve you; you exist to serve the government.

Smells like teen spirit
This is why we argued in front of the Supreme Court that there is no right to absolute privacy in the Republic of India. In fact, you don’t even have exclusive ownership over your own bodies. The government shares its custody with you as well as the rest of society. If we give you complete rights over yourself, god knows what kind of anti-moral things you might indulge in.

Why are you so insistent about privacy, anyway? What is your real agenda? Why do you want to hide something from us? You can share all your private information to Google and Facebook, but you don’t trust your own government? If that isn’t an indication of anti-national bias, then we don’t know what is.

That is why it is imperative for us to know everything about you. Like where you live. How you live. Who do you live with. We want to know how much money you earn and the things you do with that money. We want to know what you bought on last Saturday evening and why did you buy it. We want to know whether your condoms are ribbed or if your favorite lube smells of strawberry.

Let’s get one thing clear. We decide what you can eat, where you can eat it, how much you have to pay for it, and the size of the portion you get served. We decide which movie or TV show is good for you and which will lead to a national moral decline. We tell you what books you can read and which books are a disturbance to peaceful order. We decide who you can love and who you can marry.

Why? Because sc**w you, that’s why.

So, when we say that you need to give your Aadhar number to get a death certificate, you don’t ask us why, you just nod your head and do as we say. Why is this even controversial? Here’s the thing: you can’t simply walk out of this great national experiment as per your whims and fancies. Being dead is not an acceptable excuse! It’s Hotel California rules, baby. You can checkout anytime you like, but you can never leave.

You think we’ll make an exception for someone just because they’re dead? You think that is going to melt whatever it is we have where our hearts are supposed to be? We didn’t even deter from making Aadhar mandatory for mid-day meals in government schools. For most students, this was probably the only assured meal they got in a day and yet if they don’t have an Aadhar ID, they don’t exist for us.

We even made Aadhar compulsory for receiving cash assistance from the government for the treatment of tuberculosis. That’s right! We’d rather have a deadly, infectious disease go untreated than have someone avoid being part of the UIDAI network. That’s the extent to which we’re willing to go. You think your measly privacy concerns are going to sway us, you abject simpletons?

How do you like me now?
As for your charge of the data being leaked, we’ll be gracious and admit that there were a couple of hundred government websites that might have inadvertently leaked all the information of a few hundred million citizens, but that’s about it. What’s a leak of 130 million in a country of a billion people? Not even a drop in the ocean! Such things happen! Look at the bigger picture, you pedants.

Admittedly, it was our bad. We didn’t realise that a top notch, secret password like “password” could be cracked. But now we’ve taken strict measure to fix the problem. All your data is secure. In fact, we’ve even changed the password to “p@$$w0rd!” so that it becomes impossible to crack.

Another frequent complaint is that the individual assigned an Aadhar ID does not have any control over it. Even if it is misused, the person it belongs to will never be able to know. And that if someone’s Aadhar number gets deactivated, they’d lose access to all the services it is mandatory for.

Oh god, you numbskulls, that’s a feature not a bug. We didn’t give you any right over your data because we didn’t think you’d need it. And if somehow your ID gets deactivated, we will turn it on back for you. As long as you can pay us a little off-the-books “convenience fee.” Or you can repay us with your abject loyalty and silence. Whatever we require from you at that particular moment in time.

Boy, if you think the UIDAI project is intrusive, we don’t even want to know how you will react to the other things we have lined up.

But that’s a story for another day!

Happy Independence Day, fellow citizens of the Republic! Enjoy your freedom!

...At least while you still have it.

^^Articles like these are the reasons why people advocating privacy rights are not taken seriously. These idiots completely make a fool of folks who have genuine concerns regarding data security, privacy and lack of accountability in the Aadhar system - just like what is going on in the right to privacy case in the supreme court. Sarcasm beyond a point is bad!

Nice satire, but I think it's a bit too much over the top. But then, I see we have too many idealists idiots here who don't realise that there needs to be a balance between privacy, realism and transparency.[DOUBLEPOST=1503245158][/DOUBLEPOST]
^^Articles like these are the reasons why people advocating privacy rights are not taken seriously. These idiots completely make a fool of folks who have genuine concerns regarding data security, privacy and lack of accountability in the Aadhar system - just like what is going on in the right to privacy case in the supreme court. Sarcasm beyond a point is bad!

+1

The article is way too true for me to consider it as satire. And those who think that something on scroll.in is diminishing the effect of the 'real' fight, what do you think is really happening? It's just an eyewash, the Supreme court is dillydallying (almost two years) while the govt. makes aadhaar nearly universal. Once they have 90%+ reach they will just say it's too big to rollback now. That is, if the Supreme court rules against it, of which there is a slim chance.

The article is way too true for me to consider it as satire. And those who think that something on scroll.in is diminishing the effect of the 'real' fight, what do you think is really happening? It's just an eyewash, the Supreme court is dillydallying (almost two years) while the govt. makes aadhaar nearly universal. Once they have 90%+ reach they will just say it's too big to rollback now. That is, if the Supreme court rules against it, of which there is a slim chance.

True, eh? Do let me know the alternatives, will ya. All I see is a kid who whines about his privacy.

Err, even though the article is labeled satire, you will notice a few hyperlinks in the text. If those, and all the other facts we've already seen so far aren't enough to convince you, then nothing will.

And what alternatives are you talking about???

I bet you think all the petitions filed in the SC are 'whining' too.

The sheep are being fattened and lead to the slaughter. When the blade falls, it will be too late.[DOUBLEPOST=1503260744][/DOUBLEPOST]It's truly amazing how well the PR has worked and how indifferent people are. Instead of fighting against an oppressive regime which is slowly stripping away all semblance of liberty and freedom, they are fighting those who speak up against it ! smh

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of what people think, The way that present govt sees Aadhar is as a means way of getting complete and central control over the people from a single system. Even if they had decided to throw away the Aadhar program itself, they would have brought in a different program with the same goals. Security of data is least of the concerns. It was never even a factor and none of our present or part govt gave a damn about it.

Aadhar is no longer just a means to ensure that benefits reach the right people or ease up things like PF transfers. By linking everything from birth, money and death, it is meant to become a tool to get utter control over the people. Soon, it will reach a point where you wont be able to get access to your own bank accounts online or offline without Aadhar pin and you won't be able to even at a doctor look at you when you require it. The govt will be able to completely destroy anybody just by disabling their Aadhar. Show any dissent and the govt will be able to destroy you and erase you from the system without physically attacking you.

This is the dream of every govt and political outfit out there. Make no mistake, no govt of any democratic country really wants them to stay democratic. Every one of them crave for the means to abolish democracy and establish themselves as the dictators. What is stopping it from happening is the people preventing the situation from reaching such a stage. This is why people in countries like America are still able to speak up against the govt or the president despite all their antics get control. But, in our case, people are way too stupid and willingly give away their liberties one by one on a silver platter and support the govt in doing it.

China is supposedly experimenting with a reputation system associated with a unique Id. File complaints about public services or facilities like conditions of roads or water supply or don't talk positively about govt on Chinese social media and your reputation will suffer and you might find yourself and your children extremely less likely to get access to services like Phone/Internet or even land a job. That is where India is also soon going to end up, the way things are going.

Last edited:
Strong judgement from the supreme court this time. I am glad that this matter was not taken lightly. Nor was the government given any means to backdoor their way in.

can someone analyze what can be the result of today's judgement ..
basically I like to resist taking Aadhaar Card & using it for everything ..

Someone please explain how this works:

"Several cases have been reported across India where parents have found their lost children as they were identified by tallying their biometrics to the humungous Aadhaar data"

http://www.news18.com/news/india/why-you-must-apply-for-an-aadhaar-card-today-1499753.html

Not a single case was cited.
You have spotted a lie here.
I will glad to know if anyone have come across any such case, even through media.

I strongly feel that UIDAI doesn't have capability of SELECTing a single record using only the bio-metrics.
For verification, the aadhar number AND bio-metric data has to be passed.

They have strongly resisted requests for fetching data based on only the bio-metrics data:
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...-aadhaar-data-use-to-probe-crime-uidai-to-sc/

Another point: UIDAI doeesn't know how many Aadhar holders have multiple aadhar numbers.
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/uida...aadhaar-cards-cites-national-security-1710681

Lamers are ruling us!

1. Fingerprints are not unique across a large population.
2. Fingerprints can change over time including getting worn out.
3. Not everybody has fingerprints.

Fingerprints by themselves cannot be used to search for matches from a big database. It can only be used for verification once identity has already been established.

Also, Aadhar is apparently not issued if the fingerprint matches another persons finger print beyond a certain degree. Same goes for the case where you don't have fingerprints. I have heard that people with worn out fingerprints and those without both hands are not enrolled and issued Aadhar. With the way Aadhar is being made mandatory for everything, the govt does not want these kinds people to exist.

Attorney General (A-G) Mukul Rohatgi on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that the right over one’s body is not absolute and called the arguments of bodily intrusion to take biometric data for Aadhaar as “bogus”. His added that Aadhaar biometrics are no more intrusive than photographs used in other identity documents and that an individual does not have absolute authority over their body because the government was already regulating abortions in women and collecting fingerprints from criminals. The A-G also argued that the leaks did not come from the central database and so the Aadhaar database cannot be called unsafe.

Aadhaar on its own is not scary but when you put into the context of comments like these made by top government officials you should come to understand what is their mentality as to us as individuals

They have strongly resisted requests for fetching data based on only the bio-metrics data:
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...-aadhaar-data-use-to-probe-crime-uidai-to-sc/
This exactly was my refrain against Aadhar and everyone'r reply used to be: Are you going to commit a crime someday? I had to succumb to getting one as I couldn't file my taxes.

The problem using biometric data for "forensic purposes" is this:

or Read - http://tv.avclub.com/frontline-the-real-csi-1798172440)

The takeaway from Mayfield’s story is that even fingerprint analysis, which the FBI until recently touted as “infallible,” is ultimately a subjective judgment. (Alas, those fancy computers that can make a positive match within seconds are but a figment of Hollywood’s imagination.) To quote Ken Moses, one of the experts who tied Mayfield to the Madrid bombings, any fingerprint identification ultimately comes down to “a leap of faith.”
And given our great police infrastructure, they would rather beat people or use third degree to get out a confession, instead of doing proper work. This means people who get identified by finger prints are in trouble.

Last edited:
Yeah, there is nothing bad about the concept of having a single identity, We already had PAN. But the problem is how the govt wants to link it everything essential and more importantly make it a banking instrument which by itself can be used to access your bank accounts and also the govt's willingness to exclude segments of people and not care about problems that people are facing. There are loads of people who cannot get aadhar and the govt's answer to them is complete indifference. There are serious problems with the Aadhar OTP system and neither govt nor UIDAI cares.

Recently, I was not receiving Aadhar OTP messages on my phone properly.. I tried contacting UIDAI about it on their customer support number which doesn't even work most of the time. The first lady I got connected to didn't even want to listen to me. She pretended that the line is not clear even though it didn't appear to be the case. In 2 min, she told me that I should cut the call and try again. She doesn't even want to do her work. The second guy was also impatient and rude and after I told him the problem, he said something and just abruptly cut the call. This is what about tax money is being used for and how a system that is supposed to be linked to every essential service is being run.

Still, there are idiots who are dissing at the supreme court judgement and calling the judges corrupt. As I said before, there are way too many people in this country who are too stupid and willing to give way their liberty on a silver platter.

Attorney General (A-G) Mukul Rohatgi on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that the right over one’s body is not absolute and called the arguments of bodily intrusion to take biometric data for Aadhaar as “bogus”. His added that Aadhaar biometrics are no more intrusive than photographs used in other identity documents and that an individual does not have absolute authority over their body because the government was already regulating abortions in women and collecting fingerprints from criminals. The A-G also argued that the leaks did not come from the central database and so the Aadhaar database cannot be called unsafe.

Aadhaar on its own is not scary but when you put into the context of comments like these made by top government officials you should come to understand what is their mentality as to us as individuals

This was some time ago i think. For an (now ex-)AG, he doesn't seem to know much about law or common sense in general. The govt. is now dismissing his statements as "courtroom banter". I must say though, Arun Jaitley seems to know and respect the law more than the AG(s).[DOUBLEPOST=1503648993][/DOUBLEPOST]Too few people like these: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...r-tathagata-satpathy/articleshow/60212395.cms

Last edited by a moderator:
Back