Website Re-launch legality?

iosoft

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5
Skilled
Hello,

In the past, I developed a WordPress based Directory Listing website on Adventure Sports when I was in my 1st company.
It was a very cool concept totally aimed towards US, but it could be extended to IN also.

The site does not exists anymore. The .COM domain is now un-registered (now available for all).

Can I buy/register this domain by myself, update WordPress, update Plugins and change the Theme..... custom-plugins might have to rewrite..... and re-release the site by myself?
What about the site logo/icon?
Is there any legal issue?

Hello,

In the past, I developed a WordPress based Directory Listing website on Adventure Sports when I was in my 1st company.
It was a very cool concept totally aimed towards US, but it could be extended to IN also.

The site does not exists anymore. The .COM domain is now un-registered (now available for all).

Can I buy/register this domain by myself, update WordPress, update Plugins and change the Theme..... custom-plugins might have to rewrite..... and re-release the site by myself?
What about the site logo/icon?
Is there any legal issue?
IF domain is available you can register for same about code, code is owned by your 1st company (unless it is closed as well)

better to not use exact logo or its resemblance & the earlier icons
registered trademarks can be used with disclaimer

All assets for the old website would be the property of your previous employer (assuming you made the website for the company and not for yourself in your spare time). This would include graphics like icons and logos.
However, ideas can't be copyrighted/owned, so if you want to launch a similar site with your own assets I don't think there should be any legal issues preventing you from doing so.

Note that if you signed any sort of non-compete with that company, that could prevent you from taking on this project - even if that company has shut down its own site.

As far as I know, there are no rights to a domain once the domain expires.

if they have and you dont know, you can be sued if they come to know. Dont use any previous company assets. If you start from afresh, you should be ok.
As I said, it was on WordPress and 95% JS/CSS/FontAwesome etc. are all free to use.
Only thing is the Logo (I can change) and the Domain name which is now un-registered and available.

As I said, it was on WordPress and 95% JS/CSS/FontAwesome etc. are all free to use.
Only thing is the Logo (I can change) and the Domain name which is now un-registered and available.
Also en-sure if it was a paid theme or custom theme for WordPress.
If custom WordPress, if you have to everything from scratch.
If paid, you can buy that theme from seller/store if available.

Back