PC Peripherals Weird HDD Problem and Solution

Apex

Skilled
This problem was introduced to me by one of my friends.
His HDD is literally dead and produces horrible sound while the disk spins.
Abt 99% hardware dealers he approached for a solution said that nothing
can be done and he needs to get a new HDD.

but...there's always a genius...and that genius dealer suggested the
following...

1) Wrap the HDD in Anti-Static bag.
2) Make it air/water/everything proof.
3) Keep it in a freezer for 8 hours.
4) Remove it frm there and connect it to PC.
5) It will work. :D

Now...i have never heard anything like that. To all experts here...is this thing possible? I mean i can give it a try but then watever little chances are left for data recovery wont exist after this experiment. Please advice. :)

have come across such suggestions on the net b4.. a simple google search wud yield quite a few results.. so QF why dont u be a good sport (read that as bali ka bakra) and let us know how ur experiment goes ;)

go ahead dood.. live upto ur siggy now.. haha

Reminds me of a guy I knew, who claimed he kept his casio digital watch in a bowl of water in the fridge at night. Ahmed somebody or the other, wherever you are (probably hyderabad), thanx for the laughs.

freezing method does work, but its main purpose is retrieve data from the hard disk before it warms up again, it does not save your hard disk just brings it to life for a short time for you to make a backup.

Get IT Done: 200 ways to revive a hard drive :Comp9:

here's the link to the artice :cheers:

this is the print version of article about 14 pages for you to save :cool2:

normal version :hap2:

a must read for everyone, download it, you might just thank the author some day :thanx:

edit - did not know i was member there :) so here's the pdf version of the file coutesy - Techrepublic

^^This technique works for reviving dead ram for sure! Lots of peepz with dead Mushkin Redline resurrected the RAM after keeping it in the freezer for a few days. Whether it'll work for hard drives, i'm not sure.

Chaos said:
^^This technique works for reviving dead ram for sure! Lots of peepz with dead Mushkin Redline resurrected the RAM after keeping it in the freezer for a few days. Whether it'll work for hard drives, i'm not sure.

I have seen video cards being washed and getting revived (ofcourse washed to get clean and then engineers go to work.....)

Its a funny world and anything can happen....but as far as HDD's go what's the funda behind freezing???

k..thanx guys for ur suggestion, advice.

n thanx for the pdfs and ebooks.

i'll ask my friend if he wants wo try this out.

i'll no doubt help him with the experimentation ;)

but i'm sure he'll need to buy a new HDD now. :D

Back