Linux Weird problem in Putty

mathrisk

.: deleted :.
Adept
I am using Putty to access the client servers. (connected through VPN).
The problem I am facing is, some characters (8~ to be precise) automatically comes in to the CLI.
If I leave the Putty window idle for say 3/4 minutes, its looks like this.

putty.jpg

the characters come even while I am typing.
And its becomes ugly. :(

Code:
/usr -> cd /usr/bi8~n
bash: /usr/bi8~n: No such file or directory

They doesn't appear inside vi but only in command line.
Neither they appear in any other windows applications - Notepad (++), MS Word/Excel, browsers etc.

Anybody have any clue about it?
Is it a problem with my keyboard?

Putty >> windows >> Translation >> UTF - 8 OR ISO-8859-1
It was already ISO-8859-1. Tried also UTF - 8. Didn't worked.

Interesting problem... can you try to enable "local echo only" option, should be in there somewhere.
Couldn't find how to do that. Got something for telnet, but I am using SSH. So confused.

ghost in the machine?
That would be CLI loving ghost. Its not "ghost"ing in other apps. :)

Try logging into a server without vpn. Lets try to isolate the problem.

PS: Is this a shell (like a shell account) ?

Use windows Telnet client #You might ave to enable it via program control panel.
Reinstall putty.

Are you by any chance using anything like caffeine? to prevent your monitor from going to sleep? I faced a similar problem
Dude !! spot on !!
Its 'Caffeine' - installed and was active all the time. Deactivated and the ghost is gone.
Since its old PC assigned to me, I never cared to see the installed applications. And even if I had seen that, I wouldn't have knew what does Caffeine do. Thanks.
(few months back some policy introduced some kinda of tracker in my company PCs. It checks/tracks how much time my PC is active and what are the applications opened - how much time spend on which app etc. It tracks even the URLs from IE. :( I suppose the previous owner might have installed that to beat the system :p)

Try logging into a server without vpn. Lets try to isolate the problem.
PS: Is this a shell (like a shell account) ?
Use windows Telnet client #You might ave to enable it via program control panel.
Reinstall putty.
Thanks, its resolved now.

ghost!!!!! someone get this guy some media coverage!!

Do you want to see me answering "Aapke computer mein bhoot hai. Aapko kaisa lag raha hai ? " :p :p

Back