CPU/Mobo Weird Problem: PC Restarts on Touch/Shake.

Hi guys,

I recently built a PC which has the configuration as follows:
1. G.Skill 4 GB 1600 MHz x1 - Confirmed Working
2. Western Digital 160 GB HDD - Confirmed Working
3. Intel i5 2400 - Confirmed Working
4. Intel DH67BL Motherboard - RMAd - They did not give me a new sealed piece though.
5. SeaSonic SS400BT PSU - RMAd - They gave me a new sealed piece.

I'm having 2 weird problems which I have never faced before:
1. On switching on the power socket switch (on the wall), the PC will start automatically without me pressing the 'power' button on the PC. Initially, I thought this was a power supply problem so I got it RMAd but the problem persists with the new PSU too.
2. On a little shake or touch on the cabinet, the PC automatically restarts/shuts down. Keep in mind, that if I don't touch the case, it works perfectly fine.

My diagnosis:
I figured, there must be a short occurring in the PC, so I reassembled the PC twice but to no avail. Now, I figure it could be a manufacturing defect with the SeaSonic PSU or maybe a problem with the RMAd motherboard that I have received.

What do you guys think it is and what can I do to solve the problem?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks a lot.

:)

same thing happen with my cousin's PC and that was due to faulty motherboard.
It looks to be motherboard problem. If you have the service center in your city, get the board checked there.

Thanks guys for the replies.

This motherboard is under warranty. But how exactly do I RMA this motherboard? Because technically the motherboard is working. I'm sure the service center will just check it and when it finds that the PC boots with this motherboard they'll just return the same one back to me.

Thanks guys for the replies.

This motherboard is under warranty. But how exactly do I RMA this motherboard? Because technically the motherboard is working. I'm sure the service center will just check it and when it finds that the PC boots with this motherboard they'll just return the same one back to me.

just take it to service center and tell them the issue you are facing and that you have already re-assembled the PC. If they aren't convinced, tell them that a friend also had the same problem and the culprit came out to be the motherboard.

Did you try different cabinet or assembling it on a bench ?
Few years back I read in Digit - forum or magazine do not remember, in that case after checking everything issue was with cabinet button getting stuck and hence PC was restarting.

You may try that.

I found the problem coincidentally.

One of the sockets to which I was connecting the PC was not grounded properly. This was resulting in a current being supplied to the motherboard via the display cable. That is why it was starting automatically.

Is it possible that the previous motherboard was spoiled due to this reason?

I found the problem coincidentally.

One of the sockets to which I was connecting the PC was not grounded properly. This was resulting in a current being supplied to the motherboard via the display cable. That is why it was starting automatically.

Is it possible that the previous motherboard was spoiled due to this reason?

Man fix the earthing issue first properly.

Back