Storage Solutions Western digital: Access denied message coming

mike75146

Recruit
I am having a Western digital My Passport Essential 500GB external USB hard drive.I bought a new laptop, and I tried to use the My Passport drive to transfer files from the old laptop. When I pluged the MY Passport into my old laptop, I could access it through windows explorer -- it looks like a regular drive. However, when I pluged it into my new laptop and double clicked to open it, I received a popup saying: "E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." My old laptop is having windows XP and newone is having windows 7 64 bit.

Windows permissions are screwed for your drive. I hope you have admin rights on your new laptop. Try the following,

1. Right click on the drive and go to Security.
2. Look at the "Groups or user names" tab. Check if there are broken permissions, they should look like a long alphanumeric string.
3. Click on Edit. Remove all broken permissions.
4. Click Add and type "System" if it isn't there already. Give it "Full Control".
5. Click Add and type your login name to the system and give yourself "Full Control".
6. Click Apply or OK and pray.

Sometimes the above method may not work, you may have to go folder by folder which will be a pain in some cases. If the above method doesn't work, try adding "Everyone" and give it "Full Control" and see if that works.

Back