Storage Solutions Western Digital Green Reliability issues in new batches

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hey guys,

I am just creating this thread as I have ran into series of problems with 1.5TB WD green drives here.

I bought 4 of them over last few weeks. Different batches, different sources, 2 made in Malaysia, 2 in thailand, one sourced from local dealer, 2 for ebay and one from dealer in pune. All of them have manuf date of march 2010.

Now its really uncanny but all 4 have developed some problems.

One has 7 bad sectors.

Second one has one offline correctable sector ( I guess this is fine as this has been marked while I did zero fill )

Third has 6 Offline uncorrectable sector errors and last one is similar with write error rate climbing through roof.

I first suspected it might be that my PSU be dead or dying causing these hdds to die, but that is not the case as my other 2 seagate 1.5 and 1TB drives are healthy. ( one of them had reallocated sector which is 1 from the day one and its same and not increasing ). So are my old 750GB WD green.

As usual, I made sure I first do zero fill and complete formate following the zero fill ( its pain staking ) to make sure there are no errors on my new HDDs and while doing so, all the new WD green are showing such issues.

This whole past week as been nothing but nightmare here as I have tons of critical surgical videos, security videos and other important stuff that needed to be backed up.

The problem is only with the 1.5TB Green drives, others seems fine. Thankfully raid 1 came to the rescue or I would have been screwed.

Has anyone else faced such issues?

Re: Wstern Digital Green Reliability issues in new batches

I dont know seriously but i used to find the 7200.12's way more better and reliable.

I have run into a problem with my 500gb drive i sold to Roxtin, its not being detected even though i was using it before i sold it.

Now the drive can be heard spinning but its just gonna be RMA'ed which prolly is a pain in the ass with WD.

Can anyone help me with the local WD RMA center number for Pune please.

PS: With such issues popping up and with WD's renowned after sales service, i guess i will be sticking to Seagate.

I never used to have WD's before i was recommended for the greens, sure they maybe save a few watts but nt worth the trouble.

WD doesnt have a service center as such. You need to call them and they will collect the drive from your place.
Call one of these numbers
180011 9393
1800 200 5789
011 26384700

Seagate FTW!! :p

Tell me bout it.
Sold like 8 Seagate drives in the member's market past 6mnths, worst decision ever :(
Ty for the numbers though buddy.

Sandy said:
WD doesnt have a service center as such. You need to call them and they will collect the drive from your place.
Call one of these numbers
Seagate FTW!! :p

About HDD not getting detected.

These new drives do not work on the gigabyte mobos if the mobo is running sata port in native IDE mode.

By any chance if he is running Gigabyte or any other mobo which has this option, tell him to set it to IDE Legacy rather than Native IDE.

But seriously, I know chances of having few reallocated sectors on any large capacity drive will always be there. But these drives have simply developed unrecoverable errors and hence the R/W speeds have been affected ( Green is already slow to start with, and this just makes it worse ).

Now awaiting replacement....

i just got a my 1.5 TB today (bought from ebay dvdstore). Hope i dont run into problems.

Model ID WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1

Revision 80.00A80.

Can you let me know if urs are EARS or EADS ? rev number ?

Well...I order 4 WD 1.5TB 64 MB cache EARS (green)..2 of these drives stopped working one-two days after I connected it to my PC.

I made a thread also for this http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/1-week-old-1-5tb-wd-162354.html

I really lost trust in WD after this.

I was looking to order the WD Black..But after the above incident, have avoided and still thinking about this

Well...I order 4 WD 1.5TB 64 MB cache EARS (green)..2 of these drives stopped working one-two days after I connected it to my PC.
I made a thread also for this http://www.techenclave.com/storage-solutions/1-week-old-1-5tb-wd-162354.html
I really lost trust in WD after this.

I was looking to order the WD Black..But after the above incident, have avoided and still thinking about this

Shripad said:
About HDD not getting detected.
These new drives do not work on the gigabyte mobos if the mobo is running sata port in native IDE mode.
By any chance if he is running Gigabyte or any other mobo which has this option, tell him to set it to IDE Legacy rather than Native IDE.

But seriously, I know chances of having few reallocated sectors on any large capacity drive will always be there. But these drives have simply developed unrecoverable errors and hence the R/W speeds have been affected ( Green is already slow to start with, and this just makes it worse ).

Now awaiting replacement....

I dont think its the drives problem. Its not only WD even my seagate 1TB got detected as 8Mb on a gigabyte mobo. Had to use HDD Capacity Restore to fix this bug.
I have always liked segate drives. I have the older 7200.11 500GB and a 1TB Which many said will freeze or hang I have had 0 issues with these drives. My drive was from the first lot of .11's
I also have 2 TB .12 drives and both are working fantastically! temps stay within 37C

Bought a brand new, sealed 1TB WD Cavia Green from Media Home last month on Ebay. Tried using it last weekend with fresh win 7 install. It didnt boot up again. Gave it to my PC repair guy to help RMA it.
:(

Even I got a 1.5TB EADS in Jan end and it has the same issue as yours, lot of write errors, unrecoverable errors.

I just ordered one more WD drive from eBay and it was shipped today. Looks like I made a big mistake. :(

@Sandy

It is drive / mobo/ bios issue.

It happens with all Seagate Drives made after 7200.9 and 7200.10 and all current WD Green and black drives.

When on Gigabyte mobo, if you set SATA to Native IDE mode, only primary channel will work. So say if you have 6 drives connected, only 3 will get detected. Even those which get detected wont work properly or will report false capacity and manufacturer info on bios screen.

This happens with all x58, H57, P55 boards from gigabyte I have tried so far.

Older drives, specially 7200.9 and 7200.10 will work flawlessly.

I had weird stutter issues on my 1.5 TB WD Green (Which i got after my 1 TB Black simply died one day.).

Every now and then the entire system would lock up and not respond for a few seconds. Reinstalled to an older 7200.11 Seagate and it went away. Some might suggest it to be some sort of virus issue but I'm as sure as can be that the drive was the cause.

Hdtune shows no errors though. Touch Wood.

my 1 year old 7200.11 seagate drive suddenly refused to power up even after I applied the new firmware after all the hoshow around 4 months backs...

My WD 1.5TB is running fine fingers closed !!..need to back up my 1.5tb ...but where?? lol

sharmapu said:
my 1 year old 7200.11 seagate drive suddenly refused to power up even after I applied the new firmware after all the hoshow around 4 months backs...
My WD 1.5TB is running fine fingers closed !!..need to back up my 1.5tb ...but where?? lol

8.5 GB DVD's :D ( got a pack of 50 from ebay @ 690/-)

Ho bad .

Could some one please tell if this is with only 1.5 TB WD green 64mb drives . or is it the problem with 1 TB WD green 64mb drives also ?

I think the prob is showing with all WD....a 1TB Green went dead couple weeks ago, a 640GB Blue of my friend went bad sectored two days ago and my 2nd 1TB is showing some Warning in HDTune now.

Back