PC Peripherals What are BE's?

M@crosoft

The Weather Man !
Adept
hey guys,

i have heard about BLACK EDITION's of hardware such as proccy and HDD !

so what are BE''s actually?

are they worth buying ?

they are considerably cheaper like -Phenom II X2 - 555 BE 3.2 GHz, 7MB, AM3 Rs.4950

do they demand more power(Watts)?

how about their performance as compared to normal versions?

thanks in advance:D

black edition got an additional unlocked multiplier, PII 550be and 555 are great performers.i have a PII 550be and i have unlocked it to a quad core on asus m4a78em\1394 mobo. in short you will get a quad core for dual core money:hap2:

In case of hard drives, Western Digital brands their top of the tier 7200 rpm drives under the black edition lable. Its just a marketing lable and does not correspond to a class of items w/ respect to power consumption or anything else.

damn said:
In case of hard drives, Western Digital brands their top of the tier 7200 rpm drives under the black edition lable. Its just a marketing lable and does not correspond to a class of items w/ respect to power consumption or anything else.

Caviar Black does correspond to a class of high-performance drives. There are several versions in terms of capacities you get in Caviar Black series drives which performs better than their flagship Caviar Green & Caviar Blue series drives.

Black Edition in a more general sense translates to high performance devices.

XFX has black edition power supplies and GPUs, OCZ has Black Edition memory modules, AMD's BE processors and so forth.

More of a marketing gimmick I'd say.

Desecrator said:
Caviar Black does correspond to a class of high-performance drives. There are several versions in terms of capacities you get in Caviar Black series drives which performs better than their flagship Caviar Green & Caviar Blue series drives.
Isn't that what I said? "top of the tier" o_O

What I meant with the second sentence was; unlike "green", which corresponds to low power consumption as a standard or a "chilli" icon to mark spicy food in a diner menu, "black" corresponding to high performing variants of a product is just coincidence and not a standard.

Just branding + product classification. So they clubbed their CPUs -- with unlocked Mx as Black Edition. Kind of similar to what Intel does with the Extreme series. E series are slightly different from the vanilla products. (Can OC the boards/unlocked Mx for CPU)

Not a general rule of thumb, that anything with Black attached to it will be the best.

asingh said:
Just branding + product classification. So they clubbed their CPUs -- with unlocked Mx as Black Edition. Kind of similar to what Intel does with the Extreme series. E series are slightly different from the vanilla products. (Can OC the boards/unlocked Mx for CPU)

Not a general rule of thumb, that anything with Black attached to it will be the best.
they use X for eXtreme series.

eg.
QX9xxx
i7-980X
X6xxx

E is used for dual core counterparts from core/core2

^^

Correct in terms of nomenclature. But can they not be called Extreme series parts..? "E" series, I wrote, was being lazy...!

^ :lol:

M@crosoft said:
they are considerably cheaper like -Phenom II X2 - 555 BE 3.2 GHz, 7MB, AM3 Rs.4950

Just to clarify - no, they aren't cheaper. For eg, the non-BE 545 is cheaper than the 555 BE.

If you notice, the BEs are often the flagship models of a series as well.

Even the WD Black Editions are more expensive than the Green/Blue line.

asingh said:
^^

Correct in terms of nomenclature. But can they not be called Extreme series parts..? "E" series, I wrote, was being lazy...!

i didnt quite get what you meant... :ashamed:

can you please elaborate

^^

Sorry. Meant, that we can call them "that is an Extreme series Intel Board" ; "that is an Extreme series Quad LGA775". When I wrote "E" series, was just using a lazy short cut for "Extreme", of course the OP would get confused with E series from the LGA775 stable.

saumilsingh said:
Those are racist editions. Do not buy :(.

:lol:

dOm1naTOr said:
+1 :rofl:

Please refrain from hotlinking images! Been noticing that you are doing this for quite a few posts of yours offlately. You do realise you are leeching the parent site's bandwidth when you hotlink an image and multiple users across the forum accesses the same thread? Use an imagehosting site like imageshack/imgx/TE's imagehost.

asingh said:
^^
Sorry. Meant, that we can call them "that is an Extreme series Intel Board" ; "that is an Extreme series Quad LGA775". When I wrote "E" series, was just using a lazy short cut for "Extreme", of course the OP would get confused with E series from the LGA775 stable.

yup definitely.
intel itself markets them as extreme series so why can't we call those that? :p :)
but unlike AMD, intel's Xtreme series products have been very costly compared to similar non extreme counterparts.

madnav said:
but unlike AMD, intel's Xtreme series products have been very costly compared to similar non extreme counterparts.

Market monopoly - there's simply no offering from AMD which could match Intel's top-end i7 980X.

AMD did have the Athlon-FX range of CPUs at a time when their Athlon 64 series of CPUs were blooming in the market. Akin to the Intel Extreme edition CPUs with unlocked multipliers. ;)

For AMD black edition, ofcourse. BE offers better OC potential, at just 500~600 bucks more and normally they will be their top of line products in the family. They are worth even for normal users, who doesnt OC, as they are higher clocked too.

Whereas i cant say the same about Intel's EE or X ones. They are priced like double or more, than similar products in same family. They are for true enthusiasts, and one should care about prices.

Back