Monitors What are the affordable 22" LCDs out there, apart from Dell?

Hi all,

This is my first thread here and only my 2nd post on this forum. Seems to be quite active, :eek:hyeah: , I was a regular member on anandtech.com and it's great to see an Indian forum like this.

ANYWAY, the purpose of this post>> 22" LCDs

1) What are the various models out there? (I understand that Viewsonic, BenQ and Dell hav some)
2) What are the good prices for these? (Apart from Dell, I haven't got valuable information on any others)
3) How cheap are 20" WS models right now? I need the 1680x1050 resolution - graphics design ke liye.

My budget is around 20-25k, though I would be happier with a deal below 20k also. Obviously! :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

Dell's 22" used to cost 24k incl. taxes but now is 27k. :(

Thanks,
Payne

I believe the pricing you mention are for the Dell 20" LCDs, 22" will cost a lot more... but if you're getting a 22", get a Dell - nothing else out there are worth it.

^^Actually the indian site only has an entry level 22 inch monitor which is worth less then the 20 inch widescreen

Sorry 100Rs more then the 20 inch one

I guess for an avid gamer 22" Dell TN is better than 20" MVA..games dont need that much color accuracy...And as long as u watch good dvds the imperfect colors dont show up much.

So I guess they are better unless u do professional graphics work...

Thats my view and I want to hear the other side....else Il probably buy the Dell 22" sooner than later.

22.5k for Dell E228WFP 22"???

you sure?...did he get some employee discount... its listed 26k+tax in their site.

d_payne said:
3) How cheap are 20" WS models right now? I need the 1680x1050 resolution - graphics design ke liye.

Since you mention graphics design, i assume you need color accuracy. In which case, you'd probably be better off with an 8-bit color (true 16.7mil colors) S-IPS panel on the Dell 2007WFP.

The 22" Dell model uses a TN panel (6-bit color = 262K colors dithered upto 16.2 mil colors).

vij said:
22.5k for Dell E228WFP 22"???
you sure?...did he get some employee discount... its listed 26k+tax in their site.

yes thats the screen.
no special discount. just good old indian bargaining skills. heh

Crazy_Eddy said:
Since you mention graphics design, i assume you need color accuracy. In which case, you'd probably be better off with an 8-bit color (true 16.7mil colors) S-IPS panel on the Dell 2007WFP.
The 22" Dell model uses a TN panel (6-bit color = 262K colors dithered upto 16.2 mil colors).
yes def S-IPS panel if u r dng professional graphics work. No doubt.
But the 22" dell=262k colors isnt as bad as it sounds...it still reaches 16.2 million colors and the dithering method thats used is a good one in that panel.

^

I'm not too sure about all that. In that case he should probably decide between supreme color accuracy or screen size :)

stormblast said:
yes thats the screen.

no special discount. just good old indian bargaining skills. heh

You mean Dell will reduce their online listed prices after a bit of bargaining? :S

Nice!

Actually the Dell E228 22" was retailing for 23k odd on the site till a few days back before they increased the price. So I guess with a little bargaining 22.5k could have been managed. Its a TN Panel and hence had a lower price tag than the 2007WFP.

@d_payne: If you intend to use the display for professional work, then I would recommend that you go for either the costlier 2007WFP with the S-IPS Panel or the Viewsonic 2025WM if available or better still if you can afford the space, stick with a good CRT. If what you want is resolution, then both 20" and 22" have the same resolution of 1680 x 1050 and the 20" will look a bit sharper because of the smaller dot pitch than the 22".

If you just want a bigger display and don't care about the color reproduction or dot pitch, then you might go for a 22" TN. apart from the dell, theres the Viewsonic 2235WM which retails around the 22k mark. The Dell panel is a bit costlier and theres no point in spending 27k on a TN Panel albeit a 22" one.

Crazy_Eddy said:
^
I'm not too sure about all that. In that case he should probably decide between supreme color accuracy or screen size :)
You mean Dell will reduce their online listed prices after a bit of bargaining? :S
Nice!

they bargain a lot. i myself have bargained almost 20k on a laptop that was costing close to 1lakh.

but on something that costs around 25k they will bargain surely, but less. just tell them ur budget & tell them u cant spend more than that.

Hey all,

Thanks a ton for the replies. Am not a professional but graphics design and post-processing/photography are my chief hobbies. :)

You are right about the Dell, it was 23k when I'd initially set my eye on it...but now it's gone up again.

Which city is the Viewsonic 2235WM available for 22"? I"ll be in Mumbai after a month or so. :D

Thanks again!

Payne

Back