Other What consequences will I experience if I don't use a tempered glass on my flagship smartphone?

abishekh_kc

Recruit
Does using a tempered glass worth 150 to 350 rupees on a flagship smartphone that prices between 35k and 55k rupees have a huge impact? In my case, I don't even use a case cover when using a smartphone. I always enjoy how it feels on my hands.

Why can't high-end smartphones resist minor scratches?

Does using a tempered glass worth 150 to 350 rupees on a flagship smartphone that prices between 35k and 55k rupees have a huge impact? In my case, I don't even use a case cover when using a smartphone. I always enjoy how it feels on my hands.

The glass on your screen is a Gorilla Glass. These glasses aren’t meant to handle very severe falls, but it can handle very minor falls and scratches. Also, there would be a couple of times when your phone would suffer severe falls. But it’s always best to put a screen guard/tempered glass. Once your screen has a crack, the service center people would charge you a handsome amount to get it fixed. Tempered glass on the other hand is only ~Rs. 500. The math is simple my friend!

This link might be able to answer your second question to Some extent .

Glass is glass and glass breaks.

If you use a cheap 30 rs soft cover then it'll absorb the fall impact. No need for tempered glass. If you don't use any case then your phone doesn't have any mean to dissipate energy generated by the fall impact. Tempered glass is weaker than your mobile glass. It dissipates the energy by breaking itself. Thus it protects the display.

Not all tempered glass are equal though. There are some called 4G or 5G. Such tempered glasses usually have black bezel. These are stronger than the gorilla glass so during the fall, the display breaks but tempered glass remains intact.

To put it in simple words, yes. The quality of the glass would depend highly on the price. For instance, tempered glass from Spigen do cost a lot, but they equally provide good protection.
In terms of protecting it's the same. The higher price is about better fit and maybe more layers of oleophobic coating

yes, it will save your phone from an inadvertent drop. Or at least increase your chances of not cracking the screen. There are limits to this of course.

If you're not using a case I would say a TGP should be mandatory. I use a case in addition to and don't even have a top-end phone.

The consequences otherwise are the price of a replacement screen for your phone and decide whether that is something you are ok with.

Or a screen protector at a fraction of the cost

Last edited:
Does using a tempered glass worth 150 to 350 rupees on a flagship smartphone that prices between 35k and 55k rupees have a huge impact?

It helps with the resale value. Unless if you're using an iPhone, most (android) phones aren't supported beyond two or three years of updates so you would want to upgrade every couple of years. I get one of those Rs 49 screen protectors put on every few weeks and it keeps the screen pristine so that there's less drama when it comes to selling the device.

As for responsiveness and usability, all glass is pretty much like every other glass so it's basically down to the initial finger-oil buildup which takes a couple of hours after a new glass protector is applied.

Last edited:
Many people here are mistaking the intent of case and tempered glass, or maybe it's me who's mistaken.

Tempered glass doesn't do jack shit for drop protection. Think about it - it's barely 2-3mm, what protection do you expect from it? How much impact do you expect the material to bare? Within 3 drops it'll crack, heck it might crack on first drop depending on the drop angle and surface. If a tempered glass is used and the glass cracks, at least the shards won't fly everywhere. But with modern phones, the shattering is also minimal. Soft case provides more protection but only marginally and for smaller falls.

I had Redmi 2 prime and didn't use it with a tempered glass and stopped using case because it made the device bulky. I've dropped it down a flight of stairs TWICE and it survived both times. I dropped my phone on distance of literally 5 inches and that cracked the display. I dropped my Mi A1 from waist height onto a tar road, screen down (yaay) and completely shattered the glass. The screen protector kept the shards in place - the shards in the edges flaked off.

I feel it's more to keep the device "looking" in good condition. Glass gets microscratches quite easily esp from pocket lint and that one time you put keys on same pocket as your phone :p

I would rather have some kind of protection for two reasons:

1. Servicing a broken display is a pain in India and for premium phones, it costs a lot (unless you have accident warranty like Apple Care+ or OnePlus Care).
2. More the number of scratches/scuffs on your phone, lower your phone's resale value is. My OnePlus 8 is just as good as new (been 20 months) and I was offered 20.5k for it last month. Decided to keep it though as a backup phone.

Coming to back case. Most of the phones are slippery as hell. A good case offers really good grip and also protects internal components by absorbing most of the shock from a fall. I use Caseology TPU Nano Pop Mag back case with my iPhone 13 and Ringke Fusion X case with Oneplus 8. The protection they have offered is just amazing.

I had tried to use Samsung Galaxy S7 without a case and tempered glass. Within two months, broke the display glass and the rear glass panel. Paid around 10k for repairs. After that, used the phone with cheap case (299/-) and tempered glass (99/-). Been this way for more than 3 years and I never had to visit service center again.

With Oneplus 8, I had to take accident warranty and it has curved display. I was not really keen to use those shitty UV glue protectors. So, I just got thin film protector to avoid scratches and used Ringke Fusion. Phone fell down many times and till date, not even a single scratch on display or body.

711VbioYihL._SL1110_.jpg

This is the one I have been using on my OP3, OP7T pro. Its sturdy and protective

Last edited:
I tried an el cheapo tempered glass but it reduced my touch screen and finger print responsiveness. So i removed it. I haven't used screen protectors since last 5~6years. I always use a sturdy case as these glossy phones are too slippery. Used a Nilkin for my OP 5T and now a Ringke for my S20 FE.

My wife too got an el cheapo installed at same time for her realme 7pro and she dropped it a week or two back and the tempered glass cracked.

Tempered glass doesn't do jack shit for drop protection. Think about it - it's barely 2-3mm, what protection do you expect from it? How much impact do you expect the material to bare? Within 3 drops it'll crack, heck it might crack on first drop depending on the drop angle and surface.

Tempered glass works entirely differently from protective flexible films. (Samsung/Corning research paper). It is supposed to sacrifice itself for protecting your display. In that sense, tempered glass is single-use.

The process of tempering puts the outer glass surfaces into compression and the interiors of the glass into tension. These tempered glasses absorb the physical energy upon any impact, and utilize that impact energy plus its own stored energy for breaking and cracking, thus preventing the impact energy from passing through, reaching the display glass and damaging it.

You can think of it as reactive armour for your phone screen.

Doesn't matter if you use it or not..matter of personal pref. and extra care thats it!
These days even cheapo phones come with gorillas and scratch proof display.
I use a 80 bucks gorilla and my phone fell few times on the display, it neither cracked nothing.
One time it fell pretty bad and there was a thin crack, yet used it for a year unless I felt bored and replaced it with a sub 100 bucks.

One more important to consider is some after market glass are bit thicker so touch issues can persist!

Many people here are mistaking the intent of case and tempered glass, or maybe it's me who's mistaken.

Tempered glass doesn't do jack shit for drop protection. Think about it - it's barely 2-3mm, what protection do you expect from it? How much impact do you expect the material to bare? Within 3 drops it'll crack, heck it might crack on first drop depending on the drop angle and surface. If a tempered glass is used and the glass cracks, at least the shards won't fly everywhere. But with modern phones, the shattering is also minimal. Soft case provides more protection but only marginally and for smaller falls.
Nobody is saying a TPG is better than a case. I don't think soft cases do as much as ones with corner protection and raised edges to protect the screen.
I had Redmi 2 prime and didn't use it with a tempered glass and stopped using case because it made the device bulky. I've dropped it down a flight of stairs TWICE and it survived both times. I dropped my phone on distance of literally 5 inches and that cracked the display. I dropped my Mi A1 from waist height onto a tar road, screen down (yaay) and completely shattered the glass. The screen protector kept the shards in place - the shards in the edges flaked off.

I feel it's more to keep the device "looking" in good condition. Glass gets microscratches quite easily esp from pocket lint and that one time you put keys on same pocket as your phone :p
So that is a study in randomness which you can use to prove and disprove whether a TPG is effective or not :D

After Using tons of flagship devices what i have understand is..glass back of a phone (iPhone 12/13 pro max, S21 ultra ) will pickup scratches faster than front screen...If the phone have a curved display, then hardly any tempered glass fits it properly unless its a uv glue glass (s21, s22, Vivo x80, OnePlus 10 pro all) .In that case a hydrogel or wet screen protector works better to save from scratches.. For me i use a front plus a back screen guard for all the high end smartphone i have used.. it does help with resale purposes too.. Difference between a 200 Rs and 900 Rs spigen tempered is good both longevity and protection wise.

Back