What course to opt for PG

Hello Everyone,

I am doing B.E. from Mechanical branch. Recently my 2nd yr got over and by now most of my friends had started joining coaching for various PG courses exams.
However I am still in dilemma on what course to Opt for. And confusion is increasing day by day. Some of the options I am confused among are

GATE - (M.Tech) My friend's bro and some other suggest to go only for GATE because I am from Mechanical branch and there are lot of option in PG courses for Mech guys. This will give you a big scope and better choice

CAT - (MBA) My dad is insisted to opt for MBA. till 2yrs ago I also thought that MBA is the best option until so many other lines got opened after I joined Engineering.

GRE - (MS) Some of my relatives are singing tales about how good doing MS is and so and so chacha mama's son did and he has xxxxxx package.

PSU/Civil services - Not to forgot, this is another suggested option.. Everybody wants a govt job these days :p

I know some answers would be like, do what your heart says or in which you have interest. But If my heart would had speaking, there was no need to create a thread.

Also, I am less aware of syllabus that comes in entrance exams of these courses (except gate, which is most of technical).. So is it possible to do a common preparation for different exams, if yes, which of them are in same basket??

Any type of guidance is much appreciated.... feeling really confused and unguided at this stage :(

Oops, forgot to write tags.. mods could you do that

First ask a question to yourself, are you eally keen for higher studies or you just want to do it under family pressure or you see friends preparing for higher studies ?

If yes read further. Else STOP :p

Are you good at study, i do not mean the percentile/CGPA you score. A dumb can also score good CGPA but that doesn't really matter. :) I mean does mechanical really excites you, do you feel interested in the basic theory and think of something which you can do out of it. Are you working on any project or are planning for any under any professor's guidance ?

If yes, then a MS/M.Tech would take you to good heights. You should also have interest in studying research paper/journals at IEEE.

Regarding preparing for CAT, this would help you prepare for Campus written/interviews,PSU/Civil service. Whether you want to persue MBA or not depends on you score and whether that exites you or not.

I would say the common bucket is prepare for CAT. :bleh:

First ask a question to yourself, are you eally keen for higher studies or you just want to do it under family pressure or you see friends preparing for higher studies ?

If yes read further. Else STOP :p

Are you good at study, i do not mean the percentile/CGPA you score. A dumb can also score good CGPA but that doesn't really matter. :) I mean does mechanical really excites you, do you feel interested in the basic theory and think of something which you can do out of it. Are you working on any project or are planning for any under any professor's guidance ?

If yes, then a MS/M.Tech would take you to good heights. You should also have interest in studying research paper/journals at IEEE.

Regarding preparing for CAT, this would help you prepare for Campus written/interviews,PSU/Civil service. Whether you want to persue MBA or not depends on you score and whether that exites you or not.

I would say the common bucket is prepare for CAT. :bleh:

Thanxx for the response dude..
Well, I am also personally willing for higher education and yeah I am (atleast was) decent in studies.

You told CAT prep will help in PSU. At the moment I am not knowledged well with syllabus of PSU but my friend told me he is preparing for GATE as he is interested in PSU and it has similar tech stuff as gate...
could you enlighten me more, what comes in PSU... is it close to CAT or GATE (as two of them are quite dissimilar)

@ashvarybabul

If you are pretty sure that you are interested in MS/MTech, I suggest you take GRE before completing 7th semester. As the score is valid for 5 years, this will make it easy for you if you plan to apply for MS, either right after 8th semester or later. Because if you decide to have 1 or two years of experience before you apply, it might be difficult to take time out to study when you work full time. Also, GRE prep will help you somewhat in CAT.

If you are interested in MS, understand that it takes lots of time to gather the information about different universities (US/Canada/UK/Europe/Australia/Singapore etc), courses, application requirements, application deadlines etc. So start reading forums like Edulix to get familiar with it. If you are interested in research/PhD route, start preparing you profile towards that goal by working on research projects / doing internships etc to gather relevant experience and outstanding LoRs.
For MBA, start going through Pagalguy.

Civil Services exams will take even more dedication and hard work than GATE or CAT (assuming you are talking about UPSC). So first decide if you are really interested, if yes, study hard! Don't try to do too many things at the same time...chances are high you might not perform well in some. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back