What do I require for 2.5G Home networking ?

kuduku

Skilled
Hi
I have seen and gone through various thread on fiber broadband and Home networking and have few queries which i presume most home users will be having
I am laying Cat6 in my house and not decided or clear on the final hardware setup . Looking for future proofing atleast in internal networking
My purchase will be from Aliexpress and USA if required . Itesm will reach me by year end only , i have time .
So here we go

1. I are getting FTH using one of the available providers
2. I can either utilize ISP provided ONT/Fiber Modem or buy you own and get MAC added in ISP or Clone the MAC address/Serial Number to use your own or use bridge mode
3. Now this use your own comes in many flavours like cloned PON serial or 2.5G WAN Ethernet port ONT or with SFP port or SFP+ port
4. Again for 2.5G WAN Ethernet port you require something like this - VSOL ONU 2.5Gbe +1 Gbe Ports https://www.vsolcn.com/product/25gbe-1ge-ont-v2802rh
5. For using ONT/Router which have SFP or SFP+ ports you require SFP/SFP+ sticks like HSGQ GPON SFP STICK listed in one of thread
6. Then we have switches which are unmanaged and managed , which are POE and NON POE , which may/may not SFP/SPF+ slots with 1G/2.5G/10G LAN Ports
7. Once we add IP based CCTV setup which may be POE it adds another layer of complexity , Wired or non wired ...
8. I would like to use VLAN and keep IOT seperately which keep increading day by day .
9 I will have AC2200 WiFi Mesh setup with wired backhaul
10 I am running Plex/JellyFIn , NAS , Adguard/Pihole etc also

So my few queries
I require a Router with SFP/SFP+ slot + SFP/SFP Gpon stick to remove ISP ONT , Can anyone list something under 10K ? Ubiquity and Microtik are quite expensive for my Home usage
or
Can i use any switch which has a SFP/SFP+ slot to insert a XPON SFP/SFP+ transreceiver/stick and remove ISP ONT ? Like sold by Aasim ?
or
If i keep using ISP ONT / Cloned own ONT etc then i require 2.5G switch for home usage with LAN ports . Then what is the use of SFP/SFP+ ports on that switch ? I understand one can insert a SFP+ LAN Port stick to get more LAN ports . But what else these SFP+ ports are for ?
Which is decent switch with VLANs

For all the above hardware i am NOT loking for the top of the line Ubiquti but decently priced hardware with home budget I could get used Ubiquiti from US also
I have gone through GPON stick thread on broadband forum also @anmolbhard004 has put his experiences - https://broadband.forum/threads/can...work-switch-and-get-rid-of-ont.200256/page-20
i have also gone through - Finding the BEST Cheap 2.5GbE Switch by STH
& https://www.servethehome.com/the-ul...gear-hasivo-mokerlink-trendnet-zyxel-tp-link/
@vivek.krishnan comments ?
Would request networking guys to pls comment and advise

Last edited:
Sfp ports usually go till 1g and sfp+ ports till 10gig.
Both sfps can be used interchangeably but will restrict the 10gig port to max of 1gig with sfp but with sfp+ it can be made 1gig/10gig.....or maybe 2.5/5gig depending upon hardware if it can do that.
On same ports u can insert electrical SFP also which can then be used to connect the LAN cable to it directly.

I just connect my PC directly to my NAS/Proxmox server via a TX201 2.5 gbe NIC on the server, then connect the server to my router via its inbuilt gigabit NIC, finally I just bridge the two network cards together. That way, I get 2.5 gb/s up/down to my NAS/Server. For any other devices, I'm happy with gigabit. 2.5gbe switches do not seem worth the price to me. Do you plan to have anything on your network that requires 2.5 gbe? Because I find that the vast majority of things don't. And if you want real futureproofing, then it seems 10gbe is really the only option.

If you can get stuff from the US, I think used enterprise 10gbe NICs and switches can be had for much less from ebay.

I just connect my PC directly to my NAS/Proxmox server via a TX201 2.5 gbe NIC on the server, then connect the server to my router via its inbuilt gigabit NIC, finally I just bridge the two network cards together. That way, I get 2.5 gb/s up/down to my NAS/Server. For any other devices, I'm happy with gigabit. 2.5gbe switches do not seem worth the price to me. Do you plan to have anything on your network that requires 2.5 gbe? Because I find that the vast majority of things don't. And if you want real futureproofing, then it seems 10gbe is really the only option.

If you can get stuff from the US, I think used enterprise 10gbe NICs and switches can be had for much less from ebay.
Nothing which demands 2.5G , But atleast for Home networking i can try to get 2.5G . I can drop the 2.5G FTH as living in TierB city and dont expect 2.5G another 5 years . That time even the ONTs will change .
But i really do want to have 2.5G internal networking . 2.5G switches are not so expensive if getting from outside India , and if the switch has a SFP/SFP+ port it added bonus

Nothing which demands 2.5G , But atleast for Home networking i can try to get 2.5G . I can drop the 2.5G FTH as living in TierB city and dont expect 2.5G another 5 years . That time even the ONTs will change .
But i really do want to have 2.5G internal networking . 2.5G switches are not so expensive if getting from outside India , and if the switch has a SFP/SFP+ port it added bonus
Right. I'm sure it will be useful in some cases but I can't think of many other than just uploading/downloading from a NAS. For example, with plex/jellyfin, a 4k Bluray remux will top out at 100mb/s. Maybe 200 mb/s in the worst case. Even assuming a 2-4x jump for 8k in the next 5 years, that would still put you comfortably within gigabit territory. At which point, I'm personally going to think about upgrading to 10 gbe.

I have the VSOL 2.5 gbe ONU you linked, bought from @anmolbhard004 a few months ago. It's good and pretty cheap for a 2.5 gbe device. The SFP/SFP+ version are slightly costlier and I remember him saying something about them being a pain to keep cool.

So as i understand and accept it , FTH hardware upgrade is a niche exercise for now . Not recommended
Even internal Home networking is a wishful thinking as i dont have any hardware /network card to utilize that 2.5G .
As most devices are wireless , wired backhaul with decent AX2200 and above mesh routers should remedy the frame rate skips and buffering i am seeing in different on Plex
But will try for one of 2.5G switch from STH video

But surprisingly even after many users here with SFP ports and 2.5G+networking , no has commented in the thread or recommended hardware...sad

Right. I'm sure it will be useful in some cases but I can't think of many other than just uploading/downloading from a NAS. For example, with plex/jellyfin, a 4k Bluray remux will top out at 100mb/s. Maybe 200 mb/s in the worst case. Even assuming a 2-4x jump for 8k in the next 5 years, that would still put you comfortably within gigabit territory. At which point, I'm personally going to think about upgrading to 10 gbe.

I have the VSOL 2.5 gbe ONU you linked, bought from @anmolbhard004 a few months ago. It's good and pretty cheap for a 2.5 gbe device. The SFP/SFP+ version are slightly costlier and I remember him saying something about them being a pain to keep cool.
yes sfps are a pain in ass to cool it down, ONUs are better in every sense.
Hi
I have seen and gone through various thread on fiber broadband and Home networking and have few queries which i presume most home users will be having
I am laying Cat6 in my house and not decided or clear on the final hardware setup . Looking for future proofing atleast in internal networking
My purchase will be from Aliexpress and USA if required . Itesm will reach me by year end only , i have time .
So here we go

2. I can either utilize ISP provided ONT/Fiber Modem or buy you own and get MAC added in ISP or Clone the MAC address/Serial Number to use your own or use bridge mode
3. Now this use your own comes in many flavours like cloned PON serial or 2.5G WAN Ethernet port ONT or with SFP port or SFP+ port
4. Again for 2.5G WAN Ethernet port you require something like this - VSOL ONU 2.5Gbe +1 Gbe Ports https://www.vsolcn.com/product/25gbe-1ge-ont-v2802rh
5. For using ONT/Router which have SFP or SFP+ ports you require SFP/SFP+ sticks like HSGQ GPON SFP STICK listed in one of thread
6. Then we have switches which are unmanaged and managed , which are POE and NON POE , which may/may not SFP/SPF+ slots with 1G/2.5G/10G LAN Ports
7. Once we add IP based CCTV setup which may be POE it adds another layer of complexity , Wired or non wired ...
8. I would like to use VLAN and keep IOT seperately which keep increading day by day .

So my few queries
I require a Router with SFP/SFP+ slot + SFP/SFP Gpon stick to remove ISP ONT , Can anyone list something under 10K ? Ubiquity and Microtik are quite expensive for my Home usage
or
Can i use any switch which has a SFP/SFP+ slot to insert a XPON SFP/SFP+ transreceiver/stick and remove ISP ONT ? Like sold by Aasim ?
or
If i keep using ISP ONT / Cloned own ONT etc then i require 2.5G switch for home usage with LAN ports . Then what is the use of SFP/SFP+ ports on that switch ? I understand one can insert a SFP+ LAN Port stick to get more LAN ports . But what else these SFP+ ports are for ?

For all the above hardware i am NOT loking for the top of the line Ubiquti but decently priced hardware with home budget I could get used Ubiquiti from US also
I have gone through GPON stick thread on broadband forum also @anmolbhard004 has put his experiences - https://broadband.forum/threads/can...work-switch-and-get-rid-of-ont.200256/page-20
& https://www.servethehome.com/the-ul...gear-hasivo-mokerlink-trendnet-zyxel-tp-link/
hey will reply asap am just busy till tmrw
Hi
So here we go

So my few queries
or
or

for airtel to work in bridge mode you just clone the serial number and it works [ for 2.5 gb you can get that hsgq stick or vsol onu ] or if you want to keep it to 1 gb only then tp link g7 will do the work costs about 900-1100 rs.
the cheapest router that supports 2.5 gb is mikrotik L009 link I have personally used this router and its the best currently under 10k.
you can easily get vsol from alibaba for about 2500-2700 [ UPC ONES, APC ONES ARE COSTLY] I guess this is also the cheapest ONU currently.

managed or unmanaged switches it totally depends on you , if you just need poe switches for CCTV get the unmanaged ones.
for point 7
ALWAYS POE CAMERAS AND OBVIOUSLY THEY WILL BE WIRED. [ any trusted brand hikvision/ tapo/ dahua]

no I guess.

see the only reason I use SFP is that I have to use a less power adaptor , nothing else also it looks cool:cool:
and to keep them cool just install some heatsinks on them and it will take care of the heat @Pauljacob750 may be able to share you his sfp photos he installed some heatsinks I guess.

attaching some photos
using a noctua fan to cool down the sfp but this is not required now as the exhaust fans at top of cabinet take care of the heat

photo_2024-07-01 10.36.46.jpeg
photo_2024-07-01 10.36.47.jpeg

Last edited:
managed or unmanaged switches it totally depends on you , if you just need poe switches for CCTV get the unmanaged ones.
for point 7
ALWAYS POE CAMERAS AND OBVIOUSLY THEY WILL BE WIRED. [ any trusted brand hikvision/ tapo/ dahua]

using a noctua fan to cool down the sfp but this is not required now as the exhaust fans at top of cabinet take care of the heat
Any recommendation for budget , managed switch . No super technical work but to keep IOT separate VLANs and firewall rules

how has this Noctua fan been connected with power ?

Any recommendation for budget , managed switch . No super technical work but to keep IOT separate VLANs and firewall rules

how has this Noctua fan been connected with power ?
how many ports?
if 8 then i got one from madit infotech bangalore for 8k I guess [ tp link ]
somebody here was selling those for cheap some china ones
noctua is being powered by a 1 amp usb adaptor

how many ports?
if 8 then i got one from madit infotech bangalore for 8k I guess [ tp link ]
somebody here was selling those for cheap some china ones
noctua is being powered by a 1 amp usb adaptor
8 is fine , will check it out

I know you have a a Static IP as per your comments on another thread . Whats the usage for a Static IP except the novelty at home ?
Asking as my ISP has double NAT with IP being blacklisted at many places including MS so was thinking of taking one for 99/ month . Have no ipv6 also
One could have own Domain name for self Hosted Apps making life easier is one major use case scenario

Last edited:
Back