CPU/Mobo What do I with a CPU that is running hot?

Xarzu

Recruit
I downloaded the tool Speccy and it says my CPU tempurature is over 90 degrees C.
I powered off the computer for the night but in the morning it is still running hot.
What causes this and how to do prevent it?

Old dried out thermal paste, dust, clogged fans, bad CPU cooler mount etc.
Adding to this, on the software side - it could be corrupted applications on startup/background, drivers or even bios. Also, once had an old laptop which overheated when fast startup was on.

I powered off the computer for the night but in the morning it is still running hot.
You mean, you shut down from the OS and leave the power switch on, and it was running hot before you even boot the system back on!?

Thermal paste & Cooling - These are pretty much the only things that keep your CPU cool. Since nobody has mentioned this, If you have recently got a new PC with an AIO cooler, there is usually a plastic sticker on the heat sink plate that can be forgotten to be removed, thus leading to very high/abnormal temperatures. You will have to disassemble your CPU/Cooler to check for said possible issues, do have a look at this as well if applicable in your case.

Software cannot make a system overheat. It can make it run hot but not hotter than a stress test.
Software can make a system overheat when one is running some cpu benchmark tool like prime95, cinebench etc. or some massive zip/rar operations.
CPU overheat can also occur due to malwares running hidden in the system constantly hogging resources causing the temps to shoot up like anything.

Software can make a system overheat when one is running some cpu benchmark tool like prime95, cinebench etc. or some massive zip/rar operations.
CPU overheat can also occur due to malwares running hidden in the system constantly hogging resources causing the temps to shoot up like anything.
I advise you to read again what I wrote, especially the second statement.

I advise you to read again what I wrote, especially the second statement.
I read hence my second statement on it.. I used 3ds max/maya etc. and they too stress your cpu to its limit and they are as good as prime95 like tools. So even a render job will test any OC settings.
Malware/virus are also softwares no doubt tiny yet powerful enough to screw it all!

I have exp. all these years hence quoting on that basis..

Last edited:
It can make it run hot but not hotter than a stress test.
Don't quite understand what you're saying, but I think you assume stress tests make the system do the max computing possible. This is not exactly true. Stress tests are designed to safely find the max computing a system can do without crashing or failure. When the software is corrupt, it could be boundless and might try to keep on computing things it's not designed to handle, hence heating up more than a stress test would allow it to.

System specs?
I found out what was going on. I got some malware loaded onto chrome as a browser extension. I fell for a scam where I as asked to identify that I was not a bot by clicking on "allow" and there was some malware running in the background. I am seeing if this is really a fix. But, anyway, here are my specs:
1680597378258.png

1680597396845.png

Don't quite understand what you're saying, but I think you assume stress tests make the system do the max computing possible. This is not exactly true. Stress tests are designed to safely find the max computing a system can do without crashing or failure. When the software is corrupt, it could be boundless and might try to keep on computing things it's not designed to handle, hence heating up more than a stress test would allow it to.
Not true. Corrupt software doesn't stress system at all because it crashes. Boundless ones will stress only a core which is nothing. Major janta won't even notice it.

Stress tests are designed to crash the systems. They do it by maxing out on resources. These are meant to find the limits of the system. Stress test = max heat.

It is 4690k so definitely the thermal paste has dried up and there is a malware which is using your cpu for mining in the background. It has happened to me once when my cpu was getting used for mining by a malware. Reinstall your windows, change thermal paste and done.

Can you further elaborate please?
OK, you asked. So, I saved a lot of URL's in a file because of some research I was doing. Anyway, apparently, one of those URL's (you know, website addresses) that I got from my search engine investagation was a very bad website where some bad people were doing some really underhanded things. I will explain:

You know, there are a lot of times when a website will want you to show you are not a bot. When you register on a web forum, there will be something sometimes put there to demonstrate that you are not a bot. For existance, there might be a challenge or a puzzle. Othertimes, it is just a checkbox put there that you have to click on. Well, someone took advantage of this and made what seems to be a similar challenge but what you click on is actually downloading a chrome extension that will hijack your web browser and F up your comuter. When I found the chrome extension, I googled it and found a youtube video talking about this. And, yes, the image matches exactly what I had seen.

1680658894048.png

Where can I buy thermal paste and what is a good one to get?

Last edited:
Back