All OS What happens to unsold phones from the shops in India?

bits168

Recruit
I might not have phrased the title perfectly. I meant, the phones in the local mobile stores.
Things age, and we know mobile tech ages faster and more frequently. I was wondering what happens to the (sealed) phones that are never sold. I am sure nobody can 100% predict how much a phone will sell. Some are left unsold and new fresh pieces are stack on top of them. Their value decreases but their price doesn't decrease as significantly.
Do the companies or manufacturers recall the stock, or are they left somewhere? Or maybe some third party purchases it from them at a lower cost.
I'm asking this just out of curiosity. And maybe there is a chance we can get an older gen mobile phone at a much lower price now, even if it was never opened. I know some such pieces roam around the 'used' market, but that is very rare. Where is the bulk?
I have always had this question in my mind.

Bigger players like this one or this one have several approaches to this.

1. Bundle it for free with the appliance you buy from them.
  2. Sell it off to smaller shops in rural areas.
  3. Put them for sale at discounted price at the shop entrance.
  4. Put up a sale at a hall with big discounts.
I have seen option 4 quite a few times in my hometown. I was able to pick nice Sony headphones with a 70% discount. They had a ton of old phones (sealed) at throwaway prices sold out quickly.

Usually cos. take them back AFAIK but with some deductions. While some prefer to sell to rural market for a bit cheaper price with no warranties and help the poor.

Also, some high end people and biz even today prefer old normal b/w or feature phones for only calling purpose such as call centers who buy them in bulk only for calling purpose and even gift the phone to their employees during felicitations/appreciations etc. I remember few people got micrmax tablets just few years ago when their tab was nowhere seen in the market.

Then there are these retail agents, advocates etc, who prefer such phones for daily biz.

They even bundle such phones with car/scooter sales and both new and new ones and with local appliances.

Also, in some shitty outdated, over insecure IT MNCs where they pay you 5lacs per months but policy states to carry only such 500 buck phones, utter insult and disrespect to ones image and dignity..:p
Have seen ceos getting off from their swanky jaguars and Mercedes only to answer calls on such cheap phones..:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last but not the elast, not to forget goons etc. who obtain similar sims and these phones are best suitable for their biz for ransom calls and regular biz. They dump them once job/supari is done and who cares about a sub 1/5/10k phone anyways when one earns khokas and petis for the jobs.:sweatsmile:

THus even outdated tech is of utmost importance in fats paced world..just one needs to make the right use of it..

khokas and petis
Pretty enjoyable reply you wrote lol.
But I am not talking about third-class manufacturers and feature phones like Intex, Spice, etc. I am talking about good midrange or upper-midrange phones from good companies. Not the ones which goons might use-and-throw, haha.
I was wondering if there is any legit source for the public to be able to get old-gen phones, and if people are actually buying them somewhere.

Pretty enjoyable reply you wrote lol.
But I am not talking about third-class manufacturers and feature phones like Intex, Spice, etc. I am talking about good midrange or upper-midrange phones from good companies. Not the ones which goons might use-and-throw, haha.
I was wondering if there is any legit source for the public to be able to get old-gen phones, and if people are actually buying them somewhere.
I have incl. those midrangers from brand cos. as well. Eg: Samsungs galaxy series and Mi are very popular while gifting something to staff or to be used as an internal office phone. Some even dump them at throwaway rates in some local sale. I will ask more about this to my friends who run such shops. But if its some insider thing then even they wont reveal it..

Bigger players like this one or this one have several approaches to this.
I looked at these websites. I am confused, honestly, these are very weird website. The first one seems like a b2b company's site.
And the second one has so many latest products of major brands, yet I have never heard about it. How was this one related to the unsold stock topic?

I looked at these websites. I am confused, honestly, these are very weird website. The first one seems like a b2b company's site.
And the second one has so many latest products of major brands, yet I have never heard about it. How was this one related to the unsold stock topic?
These are Offline stores that have a pretty good presence across south Karnataka. Their website is pretty meh not really into selling stuff online.

I bought up these two as an example who run big discount sale once or twice a year to get rid of old stock.

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping to get a galaxy s10e when it got old and came down from the ridiculous 43k price. Well, it never came down and just disappeared from stock.

Otoh did manage to get an asus 5z 8/256 for 17k from FK around Dec 2019...

O/T i also wonder where all the tens of thousands of Tata sumos running on the roads have disappeared. I mean they're just gone!

I was kinda hoping to get a galaxy s10e when it got old and came down from the ridiculous 43k price. Well, it never came down and just disappeared from stock.

Otoh did manage to get an asus 5z 8/256 for 17k from FK around Dec 2019...

O/T i also wonder where all the tens of thousands of Tata sumos running on the roads have disappeared. I mean they're just gone!
Tata Sumo's are getting Crushed/Blasted/Culled by Heroes, since it was used by their Villains.

Yeah, I was also looking at S10e in that same scenario, compact size and good specs.
Among S10 series S10e model was manufactured/retailed in lesser quantities and was sold out. Also they (S10e/S10/10+) were bought back by the distributor at less price who then sold it to middlemen allegedly for resale abroad when the later models (S20/S20FE) were released.

Tata Sumo's are getting Crushed/Blasted/Culled by Heroes, since it was used by their Villains.

Yeah, I was also looking at S10e in that same scenario, compact size and good specs.
Among S10 series S10e model was manufactured/retailed in lesser quantities and was sold out. Also they (S10e/S10/10+) were bought back by the distributor at less price who then sold it to middlemen allegedly for resale abroad when the later models (S20/S20FE) were released.
Tata Sumo #endangeredspecies

I was also looking for S10e, even used they had pretty ridiculous pricing. Ended up getting LG G8x so I can play Drastic/Citra on it and pretend I have a 3ds lol.

But G8x is pretty good for the price ngl. I just hope it gets Android 12 lol.

galaxy s10e
Even I wanted to get the S10E. I remember it was priced 50k. Last price I remember was 47k.
And damn, I didn't know there were so many people who liked the phone. I always thought it was just me and everybody else hated the phone so much that no one ever bought it and was a big fail in India at least. I would still get the phone if sealed and at a good price.

Back