What random purchase of yours do you consider your best and why?

Two purchases, definitely not impulsive but I was so happy with the items that I did not bother waiting for a price drop in a sale.

Compact tank bag
This has been my ride companion for one too many rides. Perfect in every sense and a must buy if your motorcycle has a metal tank.

Pair of peelers
Simple concept and I am surprised this isn't popular. Definitely worth the price. I've purchased it twice already, first time for me and the second time to gift.

Last edited:
Simple concept and I am surprised this isn't popular. Definitely worth the price. I've purchased it twice already, first time for me and the second time to gift.

same here. very useful. been using and have gifted too, albeit with different design & blade.

Quite a few actually but Something that really was totally worth it.

One is about 7-8 years ago I came across Under Armour Base layers on Amazon India. I had not much awareness of that brand .
They were being sold on introductory price

I was skeptical about it but researching on google i found its a big brand in USA and they make awesome sports apparel.
So I gave it a try and bought few of these base layer.

What an amazing purchase it was. Has been with me to many treks across Alps and Himalayas and even on some serious conditions.
The whole sweat wicking and drying really fast has helped me to take on continuous number of high mountain passes without getting sick.
Just now they have started to come apart and is about to thrown by me.. I still wear it for short hikes but they are no longer useable for long duration treks.

Now also the prices have skyrocketed . I had bought them for Rs 800 or so back then. Totally more than its value.

I do see some sales in USA at times but when i come across those sales ....no one is their in USA at that time.

Indian prices are always high now.

But honestly now with decathlon and many other brands brining whole quick dry and wicking clothes too. The choices are plenty today in India compared to 7-8 years ago. and I have few from decathlon ones and they are pretty good too for the price but quality is an issue . I mean they are okay to wear couple of times as they fall apart much sooner than Under Armour ones.

Next is my first proper hike shoes from Garmont Zenith Hike GTX 7-8 years ago .
Another great buy for me... One thing they are right about Italian Shoes. They really make some great shoes.

I had it with me over many hikes and some serious climbs over tough terrains. Great comfort, good warm and sweat wicking. Must have done over 3000-4000 kms on it on rough places- snow, rain, boulders etc. Just last year I had to throw it. Completely gone but amazing shoes.

The only thing I ever bought on impulse was a mechanical watch.

I was looking into buying a hybrid smartwatch from Garmin (not a fan of the chunky look of typical android/apple watches). Suddenly walked into an old watch shop (while out buying jeans) and asked to see if they had any vintage stuff. I was never too much into watches but one look at the watch and I bought it on the spot. Didn't even haggle, which was a mistake because I soon learned they had overcharged me a fair bit.

Abandoned smartwatches for the e-waste they are and I'm now building up a nice little collection of the real stuff.

20231023_151742(0).jpg

The best would be my current bike, Hero XPulse 200 4V. At that time I was using this 2nd (or possibly 3rd) hand BSIII RE classic. I was quite happy with it after a few mods. I was actually saving up and waiting for shotgun 650 to launch. But out of nowhere decided to buy a dual sport or ADV, as I felt limited with the classic: loose terrain or mud were extremely hard to tackle, especially for the beginner me handling such a heavy machine; and since it was such a beauty, I always feared dropping it.

Ended up exchanging it for the Xpulse within a span of weeks. Although I had the budget for a Himalayan and was seriously considering it having bitten by the RE bug, after a test ride I felt it is too heavy for it's own good & that I wouldn't feel any different with it. Now I'm certain that for what I'm looking for in a bike, it has to be cheap, easy to repair and be able to take some thrashing. I appreciate design & elegance a lot, so never thought I'd be as happy as I am with something that looks as utilitarian as the XPulse does!

There's also this weird GPU I bought from Olx. Over a year ago I listed my PC on Olx, wanting to buy a laptop. I happened to stumble upon this 6GB 6700, which the seller claimed was a dev unit. The price and everything about it felt like it was a scammer, so I only intended to troll the seller when I reached out. But ended up buying it, which I still don't know why I suddenly decided to. I paid 13k for it if I remember correctly and for the price, I'm more than happy with the performance.

Most recently, I wanted to buy the Logitech G29 but ended up buying a G27 for 7k. That felt similar as well, in the sense that, 'me wanting a shiny new flagship, then somehow gravitating towards cheap stuff, but all the more happier for it'.

Don't have a ready picture of the GPU, but can be seen here.

Attachments

• IMG20220630183700__01~2.jpg
    IMG20220630183700__01~2.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240125_163741.jpg
    IMG_20240125_163741.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 29
A cordless drill, at first i thought it was a waste of money but it is an indispensable tool and a good one will last many many years.
I had a Philips screw driver set of 10 different sizes which i bought in like the 1990 and it was expensive for its time but to this day it works like a gem and the quality is amazing.

My mechanical keyboard. Had been using a membrane keyboard, but then I saw a mechanical keyboard on a huge sale and immediately bought it without seeing reviews and whatnot. Best upgrade of my life, love those clicky sound

My mechanical keyboard. Had been using a membrane keyboard, but then I saw a mechanical keyboard on a huge sale and immediately bought it without seeing reviews and whatnot. Best upgrade of my life, love those clicky sound
heck yea, My cheap ass couldnt really decide whether it was worth spending so much money on a keeb but I YOLO'ed and got a RK100, this thing has been a blast so far, tho I really wish I had gone for a full size layout instead of a 96%, the keys are way too smushed and mis-presses are common even after a year. I really wanna get a new set of keycaps and switches for it but its really hard for me to justify sinking the price of the RK100 into keycaps and switches.

Back