Storage Solutions What to consider while purchasing a used M.2 SSD?

Digigear

Disciple
Would you buy a used M.2 SSD if it came for a REALLY good price?

Let's say that it's got a few TBs in the the total host writes and some few thousand hours of power on time. But the health is at Good at 100%. And it comes to like half the price of the same SSD new. Would you buy it? Why? Why not?

Would you say getting a new HDD at the same cost of a used SSD for the same capacity is a better option?

SSD all the way. Make sure the TBs written are as per the price. Run a full surface scan of the disk. Also there should be no SMART errors. With all that you should be good.

SSD all the way. Make sure the TBs written are as per the price. Run a full surface scan of the disk. Also there should be no SMART errors. With all that you should be good.
I'm thinking of getting a 2TB WD sata SSD. What TBW would you say is the lifespan of the drive?

depends on model, give more details and it's in the spec sheets too. If it's a WD green, don't bother. It's the worst SSD ever. Just for storage, maybe. I wouldn't use it as a boot drive.

depends on model, give more details and it's in the spec sheets too. If it's a WD green, don't bother. It's the worst SSD ever. Just for storage, maybe. I wouldn't use it as a boot drive.
I already have a gen4 SSD for boot. WD SN750, which is a gen4 SSD.

This I'm considering solely for games storage.

It's the WD Blue 2TB drive. Specs -
I'm getting it for less than 10k. Final price isn't set yet. But could be as low as 7.5k.

Seems good but the label's off, there won't be any warranty whatsoever. If anything fails in future you won't be able to do anything but it's WD blue so should be fine I guess for the most part but still keep that risk in mind.
I've also purchased imported but completely unused SSD drives from a trusted member here but those are Samsung drives so kinda more reliable but no warranty. It all depends if you trust the drive to last or not. Risk will always be there. Price is good.

I believe SN750 is a PCIe Gen3 drive.
Screenshot_2022-04-24-05-42-38-23_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
It comes in both varieties.

For m.2 drives make sure you have correct slot(NVME or STATA) in your motherboard.
For drive life
  • higher the capacity the better. Look for 1 TB or higher. Higher capacity drives have way higher endurance rating compared to same model's lower capacity drives.
  • check for Drive remaining life( total GB written / max write endurance rating) don't buy anything below 90%. You can run HWiNFO to get this data easily.

Best to read reviews from toms or tech powerup or any other reputed sites, there are too many things like speed(obviously), drm cache size , temps, sustained write performance and so on , endurance rating is also critical but it depends on your usage, i use my PC for mostly gaming and browsing i have only done like 20tb in the past 5 years, so you can see , we don't need very high endurance ratings,

Back