what to do in delhi ?

so this will be my 1st time in the capital for ~10 days. although i will be busy for most of the day, i might have evenings free and a 2 day weekend to my disposal as well. apart from being confined myself to the hotel room and the www was wondering what else can i do ?

have heard public transport is a pita and rickshaws fleece like crazy.

if bikes are available on hire (for a reasonable price) i might just hire one to roam around etc. any help would be appreciated.

Take a ride in the DMRC and you will be taken for a pleasant surprise on the way transportation has evolved in our country. :)

In Delhi just 1 thing to do is, Eat...Drink and be Merry :) In Delhi you can savor one of the finest world cuisines. Give a visit to Old Delhi, shop in Palika. And yes take a day pass and roam in the Metro :p

dude, definitely go for a ride in metro.. and visit different places.. go to rajeev chowk(cp) roam around, watch the crowd, stare at girls.. shop there if you want to and of course there is the famous palika bazar, but be careful..

if you are a non-veg, this is a must do activity:

go to jama masjid, you can go by metro itself and then find karim's give a treat to yourself and try mutton korma.. it is mind blowing, believe me..

there are many places to for in delhi, it all depends on your mood and personal preferences..

in the end, pick up some beers, and take my advice: instead of ordering from the hotel, go to any famous eatery, pack the food.. and try that after you are full SET!!

thetechmind said:
if bikes are available on hire (for a reasonable price) i might just hire one to roam around etc. any help would be appreciated.

I doubt that you can get bikes for hire.... the traffic is horrendous & right now temp. is so high that you will burn yourself to death... :p

I would suggest you to stick to Metro.. It will be easier on you & your pocket..

There are a lot of places to visit in Delhi depending on your interests... Museums, archeological sites, restaurants & places to hang out if you just want to just chill your eyes.. ;)

What are your interests since you are on a time-line...

returning back to this thread....

summary...

1) Ride in the DMRC

2) Eat - [strike]Drink and be merry[/strike] - i dont drink

3) Shop in Palika.

4) go to rajeev chowk(cp) roam around, [strike]watch the crowd, stare at girls[/strike] - :| not interested in that

5) find karim's give a treat to yourself and try mutton korma - i love to eat :D

6) in the end, [strike]pick up some beers,[/strike] and take my advice: instead of ordering from the hotel, go to any famous eatery, pack the food - would love to try the food around, definitely wouldn't want a bad stomach the other day though.

7) Museums, archeological sites, restaurants & places to hang out - not into museums and archeological site seeing, but would love to try my hand at photography there.

[Strike]Striked Off list[/Strike]

1. Since all have said, ride the Metro. Though during non-office hours. Weekends are decent.
2. Visit Indian Habitat Center (IHC). See the art gallery there. Eat some quick cooked food at American Diner (within IHC).
3. Visit Connought Place (CP) and window shop. See some colonial type architecture.
4. Go to the following markets: Khan Market, GK-2 M Block, South Extension 1,2.
5. See Red Fort and hop across the street to see Old Delhi/Jama Masjid (Original Karims is behind this). You will be shocked believe me. So many people...!
6. See Akshardham Temple/Lotus Temple (Kalkaji)
7. Visit Nehru Place -- and see one of Asia largest IT market.

Carry your shades, and water when traveling. Bargain with auto bhiyas. Best of luck.

Back