Budget 90k+ What to do with my MacBook Pro 15, 2015 model :(

I bought this MacBook pro 15.6 inch model way back in 2016 few months before the new models were announced.
Its running good, but there are 2 issues with it.

1. Dead Pixels: Yes there are few dead pixel, not noticeable unless you pay close attention.
2. Speakers Burst: I replaced its speakers from apple authorized service centers twice. On both occasion the service center blamed VLC Media player. So i removed VLC player, but it was Netflix that again started creating bursting sound. It sounds like there is something else that's affecting the speakers.

Is it worth spending nearly 40 INR or even more to get the screen replaced, and find some permanent solution for the speaker problem, that might cost around 15-20K INR?
Or should I sell this MacBook and buy a 16 inch with M1? This MacBook still run smooth and I don't have any other issues except the ones I mentioned.

One option is to look for a used model and swap out parts. I have seen shops selling them for 18-25k on OLX. However, exercise caution while dealing on that platform.
Well I will likely visit apple certified repair shops, in New Delhi if they have a second hand screens at a reasonable price I will replace it
One option is to look for a used model and swap out parts. I have seen shops selling them for 18-25k on OLX. However, exercise caution while dealing on that platform.
Do yo know any place in Delhi, that can get the screen replaced with warranty

Last edited:
Well I will likely visit apple certified repair shops, in New Delhi if they have a second hand screens at a reasonable price I will replace it

Do yo know any place in Delhi, that can get the screen replaced with warranty
Unfortunately am not from Delhi and can't comment on parts availability or shops.

Are the few dead pixels interfering with your work? If not, ignore them.
Regarding speakers, 15-20K is lot of money for those tiny speakers. Just use headphones or small bluetooth speakers.
Though the 2015 MBP is still a great laptop, it's 6 years old at this point. Spending 50-60k INR on it is not justifiable IMHO.
BTW, AFAIK 16 inch MBP with M1 chip is not out yet.

No, it is not worth. Just use external speakers and ignore the dead pixels. Also do Apple certified shops perform all repairs? I have heard that they can only perform 3-4 selected repairs allowed by Apple.

Are the few dead pixels interfering with your work? If not, ignore them.
Regarding speakers, 15-20K is lot of money for those tiny speakers. Just use headphones or small bluetooth speakers.
Though the 2015 MBP is still a great laptop, it's 6 years old at this point. Spending 50-60k INR on it is not justifiable IMHO.
BTW, AFAIK 16 inch MBP with M1 chip is not out yet.
Speakers they will replace for 4K but I know in a couple of month the speaker will again burst

Definitely not worth spending more than a few thousand of something 6 years old, unless you don't need the horsepower from newer machines.

2. Speakers Burst: I replaced its speakers from apple authorized service centers twice. On both occasion the service center blamed VLC Media player. So i removed VLC player, but it was Netflix that again started creating bursting sound. It sounds like there is something else that's affecting the speakers.
Sorry to hear about your service experience.

I have heard people here saying that apple devices can sell for almost close to 70-75% of original price after several years, so my advice would be to sell it and invest in a newer computer instead of something this old

Sorry to hear about your service experience.

I have heard people here saying that apple devices can sell for almost close to 70-75% of original price after several years, so my advice would be to sell it and invest in a newer computer instead of something this old

Yes if it is in good condition. With busted speaker and dead pixels, OP won't get good resale value. If the dead pixels don't affect work and OP can do with bluetooth speakers, he should continue using it since there is a good chance (just assuming), his next machine would be a Macbook and that means he will have to spend close to a lakh.

Yes if it is in good condition. With busted speaker and dead pixels, OP won't get good resale value. If the dead pixels don't affect work and OP can do with bluetooth speakers, he should continue using it since there is a good chance (just assuming), his next machine would be a Macbook and that means he will have to spend close to a lakh.
I wonder who will pay 70k for a 6 year old laptop even if it has no known defects. I would still sell it for 50k if you can trap someone as the rate at which things are failing, who knows whats next.

I wonder who will pay 70k for a 6 year old laptop even if it has no known defects. I would still sell it for 50k if you can trap someone as the rate at which things are failing, who knows whats next.

Yes thats what I told, OP won't get 70K kind of price for this laptop in its current condition. Also I think 2015 Mac Pros are pretty desirable due to non butterfly keyboard, lots of ports and upgradability.

Yes, many people are actually looking for the 2015 MBP. It should fetch at least 45-50K INR.
Well look
Are you using any Boom 3D type software?
No.
The first time speakers got screwed because of VLC Media player, atleast that’s what the service centre guy said. So I got the speakers replaced for 4K, but ignored his warning and kept watching movies in VLC. In 3 months the speaker got screwed again, I went to the same service centre and told him that he gave me faulty speakers replaced . This time he took the speakers from another MacBook and replaced it.
Só I decided to remove VLC media player once in for all. Everything went good but in 5 months the speakers got screw again and this time it was because of Netflix

Is it true that VLC can damage laptop speakers? Heard it before also.

And if the answer to this is Yes then what is different in VLC w.r.t Macbook speakers for it to cause damage. I don't use my macbook air for media playback and may be one off youtube video watching I will do but this is my first ever macbook and am I awestruck by the quality and loudness of the speaker on this slim macbook air.

Back