Android Whatsapp data taking too long to transfer from old phone to new

Arjun

Skilled
I upgraded to a new phone so was transferring whatsapp folder to the new phone. Normally i transfer the whats app folder to a sd card then transfer it to the new phone.This usually takes about 30 mins, this time its taking too long 6-7 hours and then i get a message that there isnt enough memory in the card when the card has 10 gb free and the whatsapp folder is 5gb. I also tried using Gdrive this would have taken 4-5 days it was very slow.

It is because of multiple very small files. That increases the transfer time tremendously.

What I used to do is ZIP all the WhatsApp files in one file, transfer that file, then unpack in the new phone.

You can try this, but don't delete the files from your old folder until the new WhatsApp is set.

PS: This would require you to have enough empty storage space on your old phone.

I upgraded to a new phone so was transferring whatsapp folder to the new phone. Normally i transfer the whats app folder to a sd card then transfer it to the new phone.This usually takes about 30 mins, this time its taking too long 6-7 hours and then i get a message that there isnt enough memory in the card when the card has 10 gb free and the whatsapp folder is 5gb. I also tried using Gdrive this would have taken 4-5 days it was very slow.
do you have your chats backed up to the Samsung or google account? I usually restore it from there instead of copying to the SD card route

I tried zipping i increased the file size to double but i was not avle to transfer it, even tried rar it was taking too long. If i try to transfer the folder to PC the connection disconnects.

I bought couple of mobiles this sale so what I did is transferred WA folder to PC then zip the folder without any compression (use store option, its fast to unzip with your phone), Now transfer to phone and unzip it using phone file explorer.

I tried zipping i increased the file size to double but i was not avle to transfer it, even tried rar it was taking too long. If i try to transfer the folder to PC the connection disconnects.
Try FTP connection to your PC, it might work but the transfer will be slow-ish.

I didn't exactly get what you meant by "increased the size to double". Did you zip it and place it inside the same WhatsApp folder and then tried to copy the whole folder again?

And as mentioned above, when compression, use fastest/store compression technique.

This app works very well for me.

Try FTP connection to your PC, it might work but the transfer will be slow-ish.

I didn't exactly get what you meant by "increased the size to double". Did you zip it and place it inside the same WhatsApp folder and then tried to copy the whole folder again?

And as mentioned above, when compression, use fastest/store compression technique.

This app works very well for me.
Zip file was double the size of the folder, it was not in the same folder.

Do a google drive backup in Whatsapp instead. All is done via cloud then. As soon as you install whatsapp on new mobile and sign-in then you'll be presented with an option to restore from your gdrive including media such as videos.

PS: google and whatsapp account should remain same in both phones.

Do a google drive backup in Whatsapp instead. All is done via cloud then. As soon as you install whatsapp on new mobile and sign-in then you'll be presented with an option to restore from your gdrive including media such as videos.

PS: google and whatsapp account should remain same in both phones.
Google drive was taking forever, i left it at 45% before sleeping and in morning it had reached 55%. Its done now, through USB OTG.

Back