Where and what Digicams to buy?

I'm planning to buy a Digicam. This Dubai Shopping festival is around the corner as well. Even in the GITEX promotions, I saw Nikon and Canon 6 MP models (I don't know the name of the models) for Dhs 1000 (~ Rs 12,000) with 1GB/512MB card and Epson Photo Printer. Sony 7/8 MP model was costing around Dhs 1,450 (~ Rs. 17,000 - 17,500). Are these cams cheap? We'll be getting similar type of offers during DSF as well. Can I go for them?

Now my cousin is going to Chennai (via Dubai where he'll be waiting for over 5-6 hours for the Emirates conmnecting flight to Chennai). So I want to know if cams are cheap in USA, Dubai or in India? I've no idea abt the rates of various cams in India.

I don't care about the brand whether it's Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm or Kodak.. I want to buy a good cam with the picture stabilization thing, good quality in low lights as well and should last long. I'm ready to spend upto Dhs 1500 (~ Rs 18,500 / $425).
Now I have 3 cams in mind:
Canon A710 IS
Canon SD800 IS
Canon S3 IS

I don't care abt the 1 MP difference in the first 2 and the last model. Zoom is also not a big factor. This SD800 IS is sleek and "flat" compared to A 710. Will it be good to shoot stuffs..I mean will it be OK
to hold and have a nice grip over the cam? I'm no photographer but I always love to take good shots..
SD800 IS and A710 IS both have 7 MP only. Cnet has rated 7.8 for SD800 IS and 7.6 for A 710 IS. Both looks similar only with no difference in features. I think I'll with A710 IS only. At Dhs 1350 (Rs 16,400 or $365), is it worth?

Or do you suggest me any other mobile within Dhs 1500 / Rs 18,000 / $425?

Suggestions guys.... Also where to buy? In Chennai, New York or in Dubai?

There's hardly any price difference in Sony's... Canon's are expensive in India for reasons best known to them..

If you must get a canon (they're good IMO)...go for the A710...and well the difference will be around 4-5K

Dubai's good if you can get it during the shopping festival. Chennai's market is the cheapest in India...remember purchases abroad are with bill and don't have warranties in India...

At this point of time, A710 IS is costing Dhs 1350, ie around Rs. 16,335 with a 512mb card as well. One of my friend is also planning to buy it. So we'll ask for Dhs 2500 (Rs. 30,300) with 1 GB cards and pounches.

And I think I'll go with A710 IS only.. S3 IS is little bulky and looking like a DSLR...and I dont want to pay Dhs 150 extra for SD800 IS only for the sleek body.

Back