Where do you guys buy your computer components?

good question, i recently wanted to buy from primeabgb and requested them for a quote @ sales @ primeabgb dot com
no response!
:)

no wonder with these stores being great ( physically ) we still pick up most of our online stuff from amazon and flipkart..

I would be stopping purchasing my company stuff via prime because of their new policy for cheque payment - delivery on cheque clearing only - understandable for a new customer, but not for an old customer. Either way, we are using Arihant for our server requirements and Miracle for Dell products.

For personal stuff, I would be preferring them for reliability, but lets see.

We're so used to buying online these days that some people end up paying more without checking in local stores.
Local shops in Pune suck, I don't know of any good dealer anymore and it's pretty hard to find non generic stuff.

Apart from Cloudtail and OverclockersZone on Amazon these are some of the online stores I've used.

Deltapage & SMC - Prompt and reliable, I last ordered from them sometime in 2015, not sure how the service holds up these days.
PrimeABGB - Decent but packaging sucked all three times I ordered from them, also the CC seems to fluctuate all the time going by user feedback here. Website too is a bit slower and not the best to filter/navigate.
MDcomputers - Good catalog and service, one of the better online stores in the past few years. They get the latest products really fast and have decent deals every now and then.
TheITwares - Some people have reported horrible experiences with this guy including on TE, some guy on Youtube received a brick or something of that sort instead of a gpu last year, I'm not sure how it turned out in the end for him but I've ordered plenty of stuff off of him on ebay.

Recently bought an SSD from ebay as Prime abgb took my money and didn't deliver, the SSD was shown as in-stock and also later i was assured by a phone call that the SSD will be shipped soon. Prime / onlyssd sat on the order/money for two weeks and the total time from order to refund was 3 weeks. So, Avoid Prime abgb/only ssd at all costs.

It is better to pay more for Amazon fulfilled orders, you get fast delivery, stock assurance, fast refund etc. This peace of mind is worth 5% extra you pay. Even ebay is a good option when you use with the weekly coupons.

@psyph3r are you getting a ryzen build yet?

Yes I'll mostly have one by May end. I've started offloading my components, cousin took my RX470 and PSU already and my bro will be getting my Haswell build once his exams are over.
I'm getting the 1700 too like yourself, it's reasonably priced and good vfm. Hopefully I'll be able to pair it with Vega if AMD doesn't drop the ball on performance and pricing.
Have you managed to find any good boards yet ? I'm still trying to decide between B350 and X370, more boards should be available in the market by May but the MSI B350 Tomahawk and ASRock Taichi X370 look good from what's available locally.
Other components I've decided on so far:
RAM - GSkill Trident Z 3200 MHz
PSU - RM650x
Case - Corsair 460x/NZXT Manta/Corsair Spec Alpha
I'll probably be married by the next build cycle so this is my last opportunity to splurge on a rig :p

Last edited:
LOL ok - congrats on getting hitched :D

I haven't looked too much in detail at boards but I went with the ASUS Prime B350 Plus board since it has better USB ports it appears. Check out the Gigabyte AB350 Gaming3 mobo but don't know about stuff like ASS/warranty issues etc. Getting a X370 probably isn't worth it (save around Rs. 15k) unless some specific need like support for 3200mhz RAM or SLI or whatever.

I guess by May timeframe the new Win10 (creator's update) should be out with Ryzen issues resolved and most of the mobos should have updated BIOSes too.

I'm acutely aware that as of now there is no option on the mobo I opted for to disable SMT (to work around current OS support issues) which I might regret for Linux usage (current releases) and might have to switch to a distro with newer kernels like Fedora or a rolling Arch/whatever. Other B350 boards might have the option but I can't say for sure.

I'm going to reuse my plain DDR4-2133 RAM but it's good you're getting 3200 since some people (and you might have also seen this) are saying the CPU memory controller is clocked 1:2 ratio to RAM and it helps the CPU perf a lot.

LOL ok - congrats on getting hitched

Haha not yet bro but parents have started being a pita.

Getting a X370 probably isn't worth it (save around Rs. 15k)

That's what the adult in me is telling me as well, I'll mostly end up with a B350 too at this rate and use the money to buy a DAC or something instead.

I guess by May timeframe the new Win10 (creator's update) should be out with Ryzen issues resolved and most of the mobos should have updated BIOSes too.

Yep I'm optimistic that everything will be sorted by the time I'll be purchasing, fingers crossed that we won't have another chip level issue like the TLB bug from the Phenom days.

I went with the ASUS Prime B350 Plus board

Looks like a sensible vfm board that isn't missing anything, can't really go wrong with ASUS.

Check out the Gigabyte AB350 Gaming3

Gigabyte has decent ASS in India, that board is a good alternative but they ruined it by all that RGB gamer swag.
P.S. Did you buy the parts online or locally ?

I ordered only the CPU, mobo, cabby (Antec VSK4000) and PSU (Antec VP550P) - all from primeABGB for a total of 40k- will be moving stuff from my current skylake build (RAM/SSD/soundcard/wifi card/GPU) to this new build and then try to sell off my current CPU+mobo with the current cabby/PSU.

I always contact the distributor of the respective brand. A little bit of up down in price don't bother me. I get peace of mind this way as i get genuine products.

I've mostly bought stuff from Prime over the years. However I've found 2 things wrong with them - 1) They've lost touch with their old customers & in keeping them happy with that extra mile service. So yeah - Service is a hit & a miss. 2) They're most often than not - a tad more expensive than others at LT.

These days since I'm based in the UAE - i get my stuff from here. 2 Major vendors - both reliable - are
1. www.gear-up.me
2. www.dubaigamers.net

Prices out here in the UAE are quite competitive. Though the margin to India prices do vary depending on item. SSD's/RAM/Motherboards/CPU's are quite good here.

Back