Car & Bike Where to buy a used car in Bangalore

imad7x

Disciple
I have been looking to buy a good and reliable car for over a month now on several marketplaces and 9 out of 10 times it turns out to be a dealer, who does a really good job at hiding the major issues with the car. I prefer buying from the owner who really knows what's wrong or right with the car and I can hardly find good cars with a fair price because the good ones were grabbed by dealers.

My budget is upto 3 lakhs, I don't have a preference in type and model but the year should be 2011 and above, odo should say 80k and below. And should be KA (or latest NOC if not KA)

Do any of know a trusted place to find direct sellers or are any of you selling their used cars?

Which car are you eyeing?
3 lacs is way too low budget in costly city like Bangalore.
My bro in law bought an i10 for some 5lacs last yr from a dealer. No issues with the car at all.

The market is not flooded enough with cars like Delhi.

TruValue dealers is an OK place to start. They provide some after sale support and warranty.

My experience is limited and it's terrible.

Prices are unimaginably high. I have seen 90% markup. A 2013 base variant Swift costing 5.5-ish lakhs when new is sold at 4.8l today.

Odo meter tampering is rampant.

Ownership transfers are not often done. What you might think as a 2nd hand might have changed owners 3-4times. This is due RTO shenanigans.

Which car are you eyeing?
3 lacs is way too low budget in costly city like Bangalore.
My bro in law bought an i10 for some 5lacs last yr from a dealer. No issues with the car at all.
I have seen several honda city for lower than 2.5 lakhs but these are mostly by dealers so I'm not sure whether to trust them. Fiat linea are available for 2 lakhs but I hear the parts are rarely available and maintenance cost is very high.

The market is not flooded enough with cars like Delhi.
Prices are unimaginably high. I have seen 90% markup. A 2013 base variant Swift costing 5.5-ish lakhs when new is sold at 4.8l today.

Odo meter tampering is rampant.

Ownership transfers are not often done. What you might think as a 2nd hand might have changed owners 3-4times. This is due RTO shenanigans.
All these points are exactly why I'm trying to stay away from the dealers. This one dealer showed me a City that's run 39k on the odo and I found a message from this partner that said it's 68k. He admitted that there was some issue with the meter but it has indeed run 68k and odo was tampered by the owner.

I've browsed truevalue but it seemed overpriced. Will take a look again, thanks!

The preferred option is buying directly from individual.

TrueValue is overpriced, it's the warranty and after sale support that might be well worth it.

Cars24 is running a sale at their Jakkur-Horamavu yard. They have several 100s of cars lying around.

Nearly all used card dealers are connected with each other, the prices remain constant. Buy or sell, they fix a price and rest of the dealers will know where you have been and what price they have quoted.

Cars24 is running a sale at their Jakkur-Horamavu yard. They have several 100s of cars lying around.

Nearly all used card dealers are connected with each other, the prices remain constant. Buy or sell, they fix a price and rest of the dealers will know where you have been and what price they have quoted.
Thanks for the tip, I'll checkout cars24 in Jakkur. I had no idea the prices are different for each location. 100s of cars on sale sounds very promising.

Any experience with Spinny ?
I know a guy who sold an Hyundai Accent to spinny for 1.6 lakhs, they kept it for a couple of weeks and listed it at 2.5 lakhs. Anytime I see a car at spinny valued at 3 lakhs I automatically assume they probably bought it off at 2 lakhs or something.

I know a guy who sold an Hyundai Accent to spinny for 1.6 lakhs, they kept it for a couple of weeks and listed it at 2.5 lakhs. Anytime I see a car at spinny valued at 3 lakhs I automatically assume they probably bought it off at 2 lakhs or something.
It's business bro. They run a company and that's how they gonna earn.

It's business bro. They run a company and that's how they gonna earn.
I agree, it just grinds my gears that all the good deals are grabbed by them and oversold at hiked prices. The bad deals from direct owners are directly influenced by these dealers who've hiked the prices.

Check your apartment WhatsApp groups or pass the info that ur looking for a used car among ur circle to look into their respective apartment's groups.
Check Team bhp classifieds
Check with ur IT friends, sometimes their colleagues might sell or can have internal mailer about such used stuff
Carwale.Com
If u have friends in Delhi who can find a good car, buy it and register it in Blore. It will be cheaper than buying one here

Searching used car will certainly take a lot of time and effort. All the best

I have seen several honda city for lower than 2.5 lakhs but these are mostly by dealers so I'm not sure whether to trust them.
Wat! Which yr/make/model? 3rd owned city sells way above 3.5lacs in MH (model/yr 2014)
2.5 might be that dolphin or 3rd gen yr 2k10/12. but still its too cheap but seems fishy too.
Fiat linea are available for 2 lakhs but I hear the parts are rarely available and maintenance cost is very high.
Of-course as co. left India and fiat was anyways an expensive matter.

All these points are exactly why I'm trying to stay away from the dealers. This one dealer showed me a City that's run 39k on the odo and I found a message from this partner that said it's 68k. He admitted that there was some issue with the meter but it has indeed run 68k and odo was tampered by the owner.

I've browsed truevalue but it seemed overpriced. Will take a look again, thanks!
Actually for quality brands odo shouldn't matter but engine and other in-hood components. You can drive a city/verna/toyotas etc. even 5lac + kms without issues provided you maintain them regularly.

I know a yr 2k12 fortuner which has done 6.3 lac odo and only once the suspensions were changed and apart from that zero issues. Maintenance is they key.

Last edited:
Searching used car will certainly take a lot of time and effort. All the best
It sure is, I've tried all the options. I think I'm just going to pull the trigger at any direct owner car I'll find next. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Wat! Which yr/make/model? 3rd owned city sells way above 3.5lacs in MH (model/yr 2014)
2.5 might be that dolphin or 3rd gen yr 2k10/12. but still its too cheap but seems fishy too.
It was a 2010 model. I couldn't find any 2013 model below 3.5 lakhs here either but 2010 are widely available at lower than 2.5 L.

Bangalore has this used car mafia which controls 95% of the used car inventory. All of those are junk - AVOID.
The rest are in company owned 2nd hand stores (Maruti, toyota, hyundai etc). Mahindra true value is not the same class - more like the scammy startups
if you are lucky you will get a private owner car.

Bangalore has this used car mafia which controls 95% of the used car inventory. All of those are junk - AVOID.
I'm not even surprised. The used car market was never this bad. Dealers are opening showrooms everywhere. Over 90% of all the ads in olx / fb marketplace are via dealers. The number of cars in the city have grown exponentially high in the past decade.
You'd think due to the abundance of car dealers the competition would be high and prices could be fair, but the prices are getting hiked every year.

Interesting, care to publish his name?

If you look at the names of the sellers of all these used cars in blore, 95% of them have something in common. Unfortunately what that is, is a topic that's frowned upon for discussion on most forums as it's a sensitive topic. Most people who have been checking out classifieds would have noticed it by now.

Back