Where to buy Alphonso in Pune?

rdst_1

Skilled
I am in Pune till Sunday and my Dad has asked me to get him some of the famous Alphonso mangoes from here. Where can I find good quality ones at a good price?

Alphonso Mangoes on TechEnclave !! :cool:

Buddy, the best place to get these are at market yard in early morning trade. Majority of Alponso from Ratnagiri gets unloaded there. Few big player sell there as well. Other than that it will also be available at Mahatma Fule Mandai near Dagadu Sheth temple.

I am waiting for "Akshay Trithiya" (21 April) from which normally we start eating the mangoes. The majority of stock will be available at that time only.

My friends usually go altogether and buy the big boxes as it costs cheap and they divide it later.

Alphonso Mangoes on TechEnclave !! :cool:

Buddy, the best place to get these are at market yard in early morning trade. Majority of Alponso from Ratnagiri gets unloaded there. Few big player sell there as well. Other than that it will also be available at Mahatma Fule Mandai near Dagadu Sheth temple.

I am waiting for "Akshay Trithiya" (21 April) from which normally we start eating the mangoes. The majority of stock will be available at that time only.

My friends usually go altogether and buy the big boxes as it costs cheap and they divide it later.

Thanks.
Where is this market yard you speak of situated?
Also supposedly there is a Mango Fest on 10th, 11th and 12th. Any idea whether I will get Alphonsos at a good price from there.

Since I haven't bought Alphonsos before, what should be the price I should be aiming for.

Market yard is near swargate. The best prices will be here.

Check for Desai bandhu shop in the festival, they also have shop near Dagadushet temple....

Like on Last Sunday I got 2 1/2 dozens @ around 1.7k

Yep Market Yard is best place.
It's behind my house.

Make sure u check each and every mango while buying.

It'll be costly now. Prices should come down in couple of weeks. Usually they sell two varieties: Devgad and Ratnagiri. The real trick is identifying them and whether or not they are naturally ripened. There's a distinct smell of these mangoes different from the usual ones.

It'll be costly now. Prices should come down in couple of weeks. Usually they sell two varieties: Devgad and Ratnagiri. The real trick is identifying them and whether or not they are naturally ripened. There's a distinct smell of these mangoes different from the usual ones.

Yes, a lot of small stalls sell others mangoes as Apphanso... Color, smell are primary ways to identify. But, I still don`t get it.

Alphonso color is orange-ish yellow unlike green-ish yellow of other variety. Naturally ripened would smell different, generally a sweet type. You need to smell it near top black spot. Devgad alphonso are little smaller in size and more of round shape. Ratnagiri alphonso on other end are little longer. Currently prices for good quality would be hovering around 700/dozen. We are also waiting for Akshay Tritiya (21st April) to start consuming. :yum:

I think I ate a few when I was living in pune. And I think they are over hyped and grossly overpriced.

People are so fond of them in here, we wait for an year to enjoy it in summer vacation... In May & June, "Aamras" becomes mandatory for lunch/dinner

^ Sure it wasn't a kairi ?
I am from hyderabad. from childhood we are used to eating mangoes in double digits in a single go. buying in dozens doesn't make any sense for me. that too spending more than 100 for a dozen (around 2kgs) is absurd.[DOUBLEPOST=1428660391][/DOUBLEPOST]
In May & June, "Aamras" becomes mandatory for lunch/dinner
for us, it used be lunch/dinner.

U guys need to try Beganphali - Andhra Pradesh Special.
Its awesome... plus its super filling.
That's the go to mango type for daily consumption. In peak summer it sells for 30-40 rs/kg. Alphonso is more like a delicacy due to its price. But Beganphalli is the one which people eat the most.

Back