Where to buy Used Servers for HomeLab

mithya

Recruit
Hi,

Does anyone know where can I buy used servers for my home lab and server ?

Usually in Mumbai and Bangalore, I could get it from the IT Cos scrapping/decom their servers. Over the last 3 years, either there haven't been too many direct sales or the prices are insane.

Any sources online or offline in Mumbai ?

in earlier days, IT cos used to sell their old used systems as almost at scrap level. with the new homelab wave and youtube guides the network admin's started taking it for advantange and moving the old inventry as scrap from companies and selling in the secondary market. I'm seeing that in my company, earlier they used to sell the 2-3 year old laptops for like 100rs but now admins are asking to send back the old laptops to them and are selling them in secondary markets.

I realise this might trigger few: let me add a note, this was my personal experience! may not be a practice everywhere.

Last edited:
in earlier days, IT cos used to sell their old used systems as almost at scrap level. with the new homelab wave and youtube guides the network admin's started taking it for advantange and moving the old inventry as scrap from companies and selling in the secondary market. I'm seeing that in my company, earlier they used to sell the 2-3 year old laptops for like 100rs but now admins are asking to send back the old laptops to them and are selling them in secondary markets.
I am ready to pay 1000rs for macbook if this is true :angelic::brb:

Yeah, a lot of firms that I work with used to give an option to buy back their old desktops after they get a new upgrade. But lately with everyone getting powerful developer laptops or Macs, they have stopped giving that option. I assume this is because of the growth of used pc market post covid.

I really wonder if these are some enterprising admins selling these back or the resellers/vendors buying these at a higher than scrap value ?

Still, servers have been pretty expensive and lately there are no discounts anywhere offline.

I am ready to pay 1000rs for macbook if this is true :angelic::brb:
Well, my current co. offers macbooks for just 3k after a usage of 5 yrs. But its not a scrap but employee loyalty program. Right now I'm in my 3rd yr holding an HP laptop i7 11th gen and once I'm in my 5th yr of the laptops possessions, the laptop is mine for just 1k and I get a free upgrade too. only if I stay with my employer.

And in one of my ex-employments, I had a great rappo with the CEO and MDs and got freebies worth lacs for free. Few Nvidia gpus, lots of mixed brand 8/16gb ddr3/ ddr4 rams, ample of hard drives st/wd/ht and ssds (right now 5 still running in my rig), wireless combos, routers, corsair and coolermasters cabinets, antec/cm 1200w psu, macmini and many more!
Sold much of the stuff locally, gave away few to my friends families, few I used myself for years before selling here.

Last edited:
Well, my current co. offers macbooks for just 3k after a usage of 5 yrs. But its not a scrap but employee loyalty program. Right now I'm in my 3rd yr holding an HP laptop i7 11th gen and once I'm in my 5th yr of the laptops possessions, the laptop is mine for just 1k and I get a free upgrade too.if I stay with my employer.

And in one of my ex-employments, I had a great rappo with the CEO and MDs and got freebies worth lacs for free. Few Nvidia gpus, lots of mixed brand 8/16gb ddr3/ ddr4 rams, ample of hard drives st/wd/ht and ssds (right now 5 still running in my rig, wireless combos, routers, corsair and coolermasters cabinets, antec/cm 1200w psu, macmini and many more!
Sold much of the stuff locally, gaveaway few to my friends families, few I used myself for years before selling here.

Game/VFX design or Bangalore startup ?

Or this is one of the big tech/big finance companies?

Back