Monitors Which 19-inch non-TN LCD monitor ?

PoBoy

Skilled
What are the options for a 19-inch non-TN panel (*) LCD monitor in Mumbai ? Wide screen or not immaterial. General purpose, occasional gaming.

How's the Samsung SyncMaster 971P and roughly how much does it cost ? Would prefer Samsung due to better customer service imo.

Thanks.

(*) - I want something better than TN, the only LCDs I've seen are TN and frankly I prefer my CRT to them,

Wats ur basic usage?? Non-TN panel fer occasional gaming n general usage isn't really a wise investment... Viewsonic n Dell has some but on the costlier side...

afaik, the prob with Dell is the 'panel lottery'. I wouldn't like to spend a lot and then find I got a 'fake' Dell. Also not sure about Dell service here.

@gannu_rox : as I said 'general purpose, light gaming', I spend quite a lot of time editing source text files, also surfing, some image editing / skinning, some - not much video watching.

@PoBoy

Even I'm looking a Samsung 19 inch LCD. The non TN panels are not readily available here in Kolkata. Let me know if you buy/decide on a model.

If you prefer a CRT then stick with it, no way you will get a 19" and a NON TN panel

the dell 19" will be the best you can get unless you wana spend 21k and get a 2007 WFP which is a S-ips

Stick that was my question......and i guess its jus a rumour by dealers..they are big shots they wont do such stuff thats sure......

Anyone considering the Samsung 971P, read this :

X-bit labs - 19" LCD Monitor Roundup. Part VII. (page 23)

Considering the obvious superiority of the new version of the 971P in terms of setup quality, you may ask me how to tell the two versions apart. First, they have different full names. The older version is called SyncMaster 971P PXHV while the newer version is called SyncMaster 971P XXHV (full product names are sometimes written into price lists). And second, the newer version has a dynamic contrast mode which is missing in the older one. So, if the monitor description lists a contrast ratio of 3000:1 instead of 1500:1, this is an indication of the newer version of the monitor, too.
The Samsung SyncMaster 971P is unique among them as it is one of the few available 19” models based on a PVA matrix. It also features an outstanding exterior design which, fortunately, doesn’t tell negatively on its functionality. The only downside is the high price of this monitor, but if you can spend so much money for a deserving monitor – you should definitely take a look at it.

btw : The 971P seems to have pretty good reviews.

see also : AnandTech - The LCD Thread
19": Samsung SyncMaster 971P, 1280x1024 (5:4)
Panel: PVA (Samsung LTM190E4); true 8-bit, 16.7M colors (subject to variation)
Image Delay (rt+lag): 0 - 4.5 - 20
Specifications: Samsung SyncMaster 971P
HDCP Compliant: No
More Info: prad.de
Notes: NOT suitable for any multimedia or motion video editing because of poor response time control. Very nice black level, good for photo editing or static applications like MS Office. No adjustment buttons on bezel, settings can only be controlled through software.
Price: ~$300 USD

PoBoy said:
afaik, the prob with Dell is the 'panel lottery'. I wouldn't like to spend a lot and then find I got a 'fake' Dell. Also not sure about Dell service here.

See my signature, I talk from experience - Dell FIRST CLASS service - and there is no lottery - tell them what you want, and what you expect and that is exactly what you will get.

TheIndian said:
tell them what you want, and what you expect and that is exactly what you will get.

Please let me know how exactly you got your monitor and how to "tell them what you want, and what you expect ".

Edit : Just saw your sig, that's a laptop, right ?

PoBoy said:
Please let me know how exactly you got your monitor and how to "tell them what you want, and what you expect ".

Edit : Just saw your sig, that's a laptop, right ?

Call up dell, tell them you are interested in the 20" LCD but you would like to know if its using the 6 bit panels or 8 bit, and you specifically want LCD panels that have 8 bits only. AFAIK - all their 20" have only 8 bit panels, its the new 19 and 22" that have the 6 bit ones.

About their service, they service onsite anywhere in India, someone else had asked if they service outside bangalore, its anywhere, not necessarily at your place of delivery. I have even got my lappy attended to in another city while travelling.

Rito Mr. Poboy.. Check my signature.. Tat too is a DELL courtesy Raghu.. Xcellent monitor with a contrast ratio of 1000:1.. Gr8 VFM... Nothin beats it in its class...Heck M jus lazy to post a review...

1920 x 1200 on 17" :O
Thats wicked!!! :wow:
The problem with ordering from Dell is that u need bargaining skills to reduce the price to an appropriate level!!! :p

4dh1r said:
1920 x 1200 on 17" :O
Thats wicked!!! :wow:
The problem with ordering from Dell is that u need bargaining skills to reduce the price to an appropriate level!!! :p

:D and its 2 yrs old -

To bargain with Dell all you need is a quarter ending, they are under pressure at that time, and you will get a 10% reduction straight off. Of course skills help too, :D

Guys, the prob with Dell is the 'panel lottery' as I said earlier. When you book a monitor, Dell is not going to tell you that it's not a S-IPS ( or whatever ) monitor. Take this quote from the AnandTech LCD Buyer's Guide :
Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP (panel lottery, PVA panel of poor quality). ... but because of this panel lottery it can't be recommended to the general public. The dethroning is extremely unfortunate because the S-IPS version is the flagship of 20" widescreen LCDs, second only to the NEC 20WMGX2. The PVA version doesn't even come close (it's bad even for PVA, you'd probably prefer a TN).
afaik, there's no way to tell if it is a S-IPS panel or not - until you use it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Remember the 2007WFP costs more than Rs 21,000/-.

PoBoy said:
Guys, the prob with Dell is the 'panel lottery' as I said earlier. When you book a monitor, Dell is not going to tell you that it's not a S-IPS ( or whatever ) monitor. Take this quote from the AnandTech LCD Buyer's Guide :

afaik, there's no way to tell if it is a S-IPS panel or not - until you use it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Remember the 2007WFP costs more than Rs 21,000/-.

You tell them specifically while ordering what you want, and its no longer a lottery - I have enquired about this a while back, and they say its 8 bit ONLY.

Why dont you give them a buzz instead of guessing, after all its their dime :D

Back