Monitors Which 22" Full HD Monitor ?

Hey all, not sure if this question has been asked before, but after a lot of searching, checking reviews etc. this is what its come down to.. need a 22" Full HD monitor.

Budget < 10.5k

The monitors I've shortlisted are

-> Samsung 2233SW

-> Dell S2209W

-> Acer H233H

-> AOC F22"

Please let me know as to which monitor is better and why. Would appreciate if i get the replies quickly, coz am planning to buy it today.

TIA~

Go For Dell 2209WA if you have the funds (for its excellent performance) - It costs around 17K. But the colors, blacks, white, viewing angles, potrait mode, alignment etc are great.
Else settle in for S2409W - 12,750/- (oR) BenQG2412HD if it is atleast 1K less than Dell. Don't go for 22" FullHD.
And there is no necessity that you have to go for FULLHD. Here's the reason.
Long had been my doubt on this subject (since last year, When I had been looking for mera pehla LCD) and still haven't got clarified.

Of course, the first thing that comes to your mind in replying to this thread is 1:1 Pixel mapping. But what exactly is the difference in 1:1 pixel mapping and scaling?

THEORY:

1:1 pixel mapping allows us to see every pixel in detail.
If the scaling is upward (upscaling), then the quality might be degraded, as the pixels are zoomed and the clarity won't be good and it is noticeable.

EXAMPLE: DVD Video of resolution 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL) when viewed on a monitor with 1680x1050 resolution in full screen mode - the pixels are scaled to 1680 wide 1050 height making the video look more blurry (in common language - pixelated).
Thus upscaling reduces the image quality for SURE!

But when a 1280x720 viewed on a 800x600/1024x768 monitor or 1920x1080 video watched on a 1680x1050 monitor, the video is down scaled to their respective resolution making the video more sharper.

Then why the hell are we longing (including me) for a 1080p monitor???

Okay, even if someone proves (YET TO) that 1080p video viewing is better in a 1080p monitor, I've got another solution.

In media player classic - there is an option called "Video Frame - normal, Half Size, Double Size, Touch Window From Inside and Touch Window From outside"
If we select normal mode in video frame option of MPC - it won't scale the video but it will display in 1:1 PIXEL MAPPING.
So if we select FULL SCREEN option and select the "normal" video frame mode for a dvd resolution video in a 720p monitor, It will display the video in 1:1 pixel mapping and rest of the space it'll display BLACK BARS.

And the same thing for 1080p video too! If we select "normal" in "video Frame" mode for a 1080p video in 720p monitor, it will display the video in 1:1 pixel ratio there by cutting some video area(who cares about that few cut out area of a movie) and 1080p IN ITS FULL GLORY IN A 720p MONITOR!

Any comments on this blabbering is welcome!

AXIOMS:
1) The resolution of 1680x1050 of Dell 2209WA can't be considered as a disadvantage as far as video viewing is considered.
2) Whereas, for gaming - YES there will be PURE DIFFERENCE as the rendering itself is just 1680x1050 but in a 24" it will be 1920x1080 OR 1920x1200. SO the detailing will be more. But then, YOUR VGA CARD MUST BE ABLE TO HANDLE THAT RESOLUTION AND ENABLE OTHER EYE CANDIES LIKE AA,AF etc., (IMHO, a lower resolution game with AA,AF turned on is FAR BETTER THAN higher resolution game with AA,AF turned off - any comments?)

my main concern is, from the distance i sit from the monitor, 24" will become too huge and I'd have to take time scanning the entire screen.. so 22" is all i'll ever need. As for budget I can't really go over 11k.. >.<

Go for Samsung dude...
Looks good, feels good, works good, colors are better than all other and 1080p looks great on it. :p

Add to it Samsung's ASS is the best. :eek:hyeah:
Go and have a look at the LCD and u'll get it home...:eek:hyeah:

guess i'll go review them all, does staples have all monitors on display? I'll be heading there right now.. No one seems to have checked out the Acer H233H? Its got good reviews on newegg n other sites too..

emmarbee said:
Go For Dell 2209WA if you have the funds (for its excellent performance) - It costs around 17K. But the colors, blacks, white, viewing angles, potrait mode, alignment etc are great.
Else settle in for S2409W - 12,750/- (oR) BenQG2412HD if it is atleast 1K less than Dell. Don't go for 22" FullHD.
And there is no necessity that you have to go for FULLHD. Here's the reason.
Long had been my doubt on this subject (since last year, When I had been looking for mera pehla LCD) and still haven't got clarified.

Of course, the first thing that comes to your mind in replying to this thread is 1:1 Pixel mapping. But what exactly is the difference in 1:1 pixel mapping and scaling?

THEORY:

1:1 pixel mapping allows us to see every pixel in detail.
If the scaling is upward (upscaling), then the quality might be degraded, as the pixels are zoomed and the clarity won't be good and it is noticeable.

EXAMPLE: DVD Video of resolution 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL) when viewed on a monitor with 1680x1050 resolution in full screen mode - the pixels are scaled to 1680 wide 1050 height making the video look more blurry (in common language - pixelated).
Thus upscaling reduces the image quality for SURE!
agreed...upscaling reduces image quality...

But when a 1280x720 viewed on a 800x600/1024x768 monitor or 1920x1080 video watched on a 1680x1050 monitor, the video is down scaled to their respective resolution making the video more sharper.
i do not agree...since the monitor can display lesser no of pixels it will discard some pixels or lets say cramp more than 1 pixel into 1 pixel by some algorithm to downscale the video...thereby resulting in a loss of details...

i hope u get the above point

Okay, even if someone proves (YET TO) that 1080p video viewing is better in a 1080p monitor, I've got another solution.

In media player classic - there is an option called "Video Frame - normal, Half Size, Double Size, Touch Window From Inside and Touch Window From outside"
If we select normal mode in video frame option of MPC - it won't scale the video but it will display in 1:1 PIXEL MAPPING.
So if we select FULL SCREEN option and select the "normal" video frame mode for a dvd resolution video in a 720p monitor, It will display the video in 1:1 pixel mapping and rest of the space it'll display BLACK BARS.

And the same thing for 1080p video too! If we select "normal" in "video Frame" mode for a 1080p video in 720p monitor, it will display the video in 1:1 pixel ratio there by cutting some video area(who cares about that few cut out area of a movie) and 1080p IN ITS FULL GLORY IN A 720p MONITOR!
by this method u will be cutting out a jolly good 1920-1680=240 pixel out of 1920...tht is 12.5% less...so u cant technically say 1080p in FULL GLORY :p

twas my pleasure

AXIOMS:
1) The resolution of 1680x1050 of Dell 2209WA can't be considered as a disadvantage as far as video viewing is considered.
2) Whereas, for gaming - YES there will be PURE DIFFERENCE as the rendering itself is just 1680x1050 but in a 24" it will be 1920x1080 OR 1920x1200. SO the detailing will be more. But then, YOUR VGA CARD MUST BE ABLE TO HANDLE THAT RESOLUTION AND ENABLE OTHER EYE CANDIES LIKE AA,AF etc., (IMHO, a lower resolution game with AA,AF turned on is FAR BETTER THAN higher resolution game with AA,AF turned off - any comments?)
the OP did not mention his purpose...whether it is gaming or movies...i already commented for movies above...even in case of gaming...with video cards running so cheap nowadays...i dont think there wud b much of a price diff in cards which can play with high details on either resolution...even if thr is a diff...who stops us from playin at a lower res and upscale it to the next res :p

emmarbee said:

LOL.. That is so inaccurate. Fidelity is lost when you upscale as well as downscale. Why do you think there are so many different algorithms for downscaling if its so simple. You loose detail both ways, that's why it makes sense in getting a monitor that natively supports the resolution.

emmarbee said:

That you are doing is not 1:1 pixel mapping, if you do 1:1 pixel mapping of a 1080p vid on a 720p display, you will see only part of the video that fitst in 720p. the rest will be outside the display boundary. What you are doing here is "Maintaining the aspect ratio". The downscaling is still happening resulting in loss of fidelity.

emmarbee said:

If that is what you call that I can but agree. :p

emmarbee said:
(IMHO, a lower resolution game with AA,AF turned on is FAR BETTER THAN higher resolution game with AA,AF turned off - any comments?)

Incorrect!! What's the point of starting with a pixelated image and then apply AA and AF to reduce the pixelation and sharpen the textures if you can start with a higher resolution image in the first place.

Back