Monitors Which 24 incher LCD for Gaming

Spectre

Skilled
Hi Guys,

After taking opinions here and doing my own bit of research, i have decided (more or less) to get a 24" LCD

Primary purpose: Gaming (90%)

Movies - very rare

Browsing experience should be pleasant

1. Dont need great viewing angles for a premium, so will settle for TN panel

2. Does LED backlit really is worth the extra money ( +2/3 K)

3. No additional connectors are really required, except DVI. since i will use it only for PC

4. Looks are not that important, I prefer a simple plain design

Shortlisted:

LCD:

Benq G2420HD ~ 10.5K

Dell ST2410 ~ 12.6K

LCD (with LED backlit)

Dell G2410H ~ 14K

Benq V2420H ????

Budget:

Within 15K, but i want to best value for my requirement. nothing more, nothing less

What would be your pick. Please state reasons and your experiences

If there is any good option missing from the list, please do mention it

Your efforts will be rewarded :) TIA

Mods: Please don't merge with other search threads, as each one's requirement is different

Go with your preference rather than back light technology. LED back lit monitors have better energy efficiency than CCFL but overall TN panel quality depends on how they built or structured. You may also get Dell UltraSharo U2211H but it is 22 inch

So, although it would be wrong to claim that LED backlighting has no advantages, those advantages do not affect the image quality. The only indubitable high of LED-based monitors is their lower power consumption, but their image quality won’t be any better until the manufacturers switch from the white edge backlight to other technologies. And I have doubts that this will occur in near future because edge backlighting is cheap while the more advanced alternatives are far more expensive.

Summing it up, you should only deliberately look for a LED-based monitor if you care about power consumption. Otherwise, you should base your choice on other parameters, ignoring the type of backlight altogether.

I have been using a Dell G2410H since Jan 2010, the viewing angles aren't very good. I suggest getting the Dell U2311 which has amazing picture quality and good viewing angles. It is an IPS panel based lcd and is worth the price.

wont 23" be cramped for the same resolution, than a 24" incher

sunny27 said:
I have been using a Dell G2410H since Jan 2010, the viewing angles aren't very good. I suggest getting the Dell U2311 which has amazing picture quality and good viewing angles. It is an IPS panel based lcd and is worth the price.

^^No it wont. The Dell U2311 is an ips panel based display and its worth every rupee you pay. The G2410H is a very good lcd as well but not suitable for gaming. Its an eco friendly display and the power consumption is extremely low. I won't complain much about the display as it was a free upgrade from a 22" Dell LCD which malfunctioned-so I am happy with what I have! If I were to buy a new LCD today, it would most certainly be the Dell U2311.

Check the review at Anandtech:-

Dell G2410H Review: A Green 24" LCD - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

i know you said nothing smaller but take a look at Samsung PX2370 unlike other LED it is with 2fps response time n look and works brilliantly

If you are not going to get the Dell U2311h then i would suggest you to get Benq G2420HD. I researched a lot on the TN panel monitors and the so called LED effect. A price bump of 4K isnt justified when you are gonna be gaming on it most of the time. LED just improves the contrast and make the photos/videos look slightly more vivid/bright which isnt exactly ur requirement.

Benq also has better response time to suit your gaming needs :)

thanks pal

Even I am eying Benq G2420HD, as its priced well and user opinions are pretty good

and I am considering the best performance for gaming, so this monitor suits it, i guess

any other better 24" in the market, to consider

apextwin146 said:
If you are not going to get the Dell U2311h then i would suggest you to get Benq G2420HD. I researched a lot on the TN panel monitors and the so called LED effect. A price bump of 4K isnt justified when you are gonna be gaming on it most of the time. LED just improves the contrast and make the photos/videos look slightly more vivid/bright which isnt exactly ur requirement.

Benq also has better response time to suit your gaming needs :)

LED - Jacks up the White end of the color spectrum and inadvertently destroys the black. There is no scope for getting this.
IPS - Increases the input Lag along with the PQ output. But in any case there isnt a 24" H-IPS panel that would come under 15K
TN - The contrast ratios & Lag differ here in a very trivial sense. I would get the monitor with maximum amount of extra features like Speakers,Connectivity options etc

The next actuall upgrade would be the 3d 120 Hz monitors like those from Alienware and Acer. A IPS panel based 120 Hz monitor would be a godsend but there are no options available as of now. Though i would actually suggest you to take a closer look at AW2310 ,Also Benq EW2420/VW2420 if you are after serious quality as these are VA based panels.

Anyways i would tell you in short to just go for Benq g24 and save some money for you next big upgrade in monitors cuz as of now there some interesting techs are in development but nothing is for sure.

^ thanks again for the detailed info. I am thinking of getting G2420 for now, as it suits my requirements and also, saves me about 4K for future upgrades.

1 inch is not that much 14-15K for, dell2311H ultrasharp is a great price, you wont regret it ever, not only the viewing angle but the picture quality is a lot better in this compared to TN panel. Backlight bleeding is also less as its the top of the line product

stick with the benQ g2420.....I am using it;its not the best but its worth 10.5k. IPS panels are better but its up to you to decide betwen 24"TN panel or 23"IPS panel
Sure u want to upgrade now ? I would say get a 3D compatible monitor when they become mainstream(which can be as early as next year)

i experience flickering viewing with most all the 3d displays i have tried (except the cyan-red ones)

go for dell23" ultrasharp, 2d will be dormant till 3-4 years.

that's the problem/confusion... With so many options available. LED/3D tech. is in the start process, will sure improve in few months. How much u rate the following monitors on the scale of 10, picture quality wise(movie,games)?
1. Dell U2311H
2. Samsung PX2370
3. BenQ G2420HD

Thanks everyone for your inputs, they were very valuable to me, in deciding my purchase

Today, I bought Benq G2420HD
Net price: Rs.10,650 (incl VAT) - Samta Infotech, KAJ plaza, Ritche St, Chennai

the IPS option of Dell U2311 was tempting, but for my requirements and matching it with the prices, i found G2420 to be a better one for me

Back