Which ADSL 2+ WIFI b/g MODEM to go for ?

jinvidia

Adept
Hey guys. I am having a TPLINK 1043ND wifi router which is linked with a BEETEL 450TC1 adsl wifi modem provided by airtel.

Now let me address the issue .

Sometimes when I reboot the modem (to RENEW WAN IP address) after rebooting is complete the modem freezes. Though this occurs occasionally I am somewhat concerned about this. Its so annoying that I have to go to the other portion of my house and power cycle the unit . So…

I have decided to purchase a better ADSL cum Wi-Fi router. The reason I need Wi-Fi functionality in the ADSL modem, even though I have the 1043ND is because I need two wireless networks. The one which I am going to buy will be kept open without wifi security and that will be a guest access where shared folders cant be accessed

The 1043ND will be Wi-Fi secured.

I have been using the beetel 450TC1 (for ADSL with open WIFI)

I hope the scenario is well explained.

My requirements :

1. Good compatibility with my TPLINK 1043ND
  2. Good Wi-Fi strengtH (just for my floor is enough)
  3. ADSL should not get disconnected frequently as some modems do. i.e., ADSL should be fully compatible with my ISP
  4. There should be no hanging/freezing in case if I reboot modem to change IP
  5. telnet (command line interface ) is welcome but not mandatory
  6. If the modem is going to have a RENEW WAN IP address option then I will be much satisfied…

I have shortlisted the following:

ASUS DSL N10

BELKIN (Don’t know which model)

DLINK DSL-2750u

NETGEAR DGN1000

TPLINK 8961ND

Awaiting your reply and thanx in advance

Finally bought the ASUS DSL N10E yesterday. Seems to work fine till now. But i heard some reviews say that it heats up even this is an ECO friendly model. It is working from last night and there are no hangs of freezeups till now. Will update in case of any issues...

The only product which can compete with this one is the DLINK 2750U with dual antenna but for some extra bucks...

And will the 5DBi antenna make a noticeable difference ?. But this ASUS product is not wifi certified. I dont know the benefits of wifi certification but it has 5DBi antenna.

I picked up a Cisco WAG120N a few days ago, will post impressions soon as well as I use it. So far no complaints

Finally bought the ASUS DSL N10E yesterday. Seems to work fine till now. But i heard some reviews say that it heats up even this is an ECO friendly model. It is working from last night and there are no hangs of freezeups till now. Will update in case of any issues...

The only product which can compete with this one is the DLINK 2750U with dual antenna but for some extra bucks...

And will the 5DBi antenna make a noticeable difference ?. But this ASUS product is not wifi certified. I dont know the benefits of wifi certification but it has 5DBi antenna.

hows the performance and the range??

The performance is good for browsing. But i am yet to test file transfers . Will do that when i get time. No probs, you can go for it. Other option is the dlink 2750U which has impressed many.

Currently i have bridged my tplink router with this.

The wifi range is decent. The 5DBi antenna is a plus point. But the minus point is it is not detachable like the TPLINK ones. I am having it in the middle of my house behind a partition wall which has glass windows. I am accessing the unit from my laptop in my room which is diagonal to the unit and my room wall also has 2 glass windows. Dont know how the performance will be in the absence of glass windows.

But i can access the unit from the 1st floor. The router is kept in the 2nd floor ...

It all depends on your house setup. If at all you want a powerful wifi solution which has to cross several walls , get a cheap adsl router which is compatible with your ISP and a powerful wifi router like the ASUS N13 or N16. They seem to be VFM and there are a lot of reviews in TE itself . You can get opinions from the users. But you have to invest a bit more ...

Back