which antivirus is the best?

GDATA if u've got a good PC and a big wallet... next in line is Kaspersky.... If u want something even lightweight then NOD32 is next best!!

I use Kaspersky and prefer it !!

Honestly it is all about preference. No company has a better solution than any other. I use NOD32 because it is lightweight and gets the job done. Previously I had a copy of Norton which I really liked but it was a resource hog.

No doubt Nod 32 and Kapersky are the best . while Kapersky is a system hog on the otherhand Nod is lightweight but both are paid if you could pay for Genuine

Product then go for btw one of these but if you want Mediocre Free Av then go for Avast,or Bitdefender free edition they are decent enough for Home user ;)

This has been discussed a few times already ... kaspersky is best overall and nod32 is best if you want something light on resources

muffins said:
No company has a better solution than any other.

very untrue... Each company has a different approach and is better at finding specific behavior in viruses... So each AV has its specialty and slowly each AV is evolving learning from newer infections, but better can be different on what kinda viruses u wanna fight!!

Nod32 is good for a low resource computer & its also cheap.... Kaspersky is good if you have an average to high end computer but its not cheap... Neverthless both provide excellent protection... Unlike Norton & McAfee which were the absolute resource hungry & didn't protected well....

Only those who don't know any other option go for Norton/McAfee otherwise you can choose from Nod32 or Kaspersky.....

NOD32 has a great engine, is fast but it cant detect all virii. It's database is weak. Your best bet is Kaspersky. When you buy an av, detection rate should get most importance. And Kaspersky is the best in terms of detection. Its also not a resource hog.
If you want free get AOL Active Shield, which uses Kaspersky engine.

hi,

NOD32 and Kaspersky are the best but there is also symantec anti-virus corporate edition which is bit heavy on resources but then again it is a matter of choice and its u who have the decision making of what u prefer the better of these.

BEST Anti-Virus? There is NO such thing.

The "best" Anti-Virus for each individual user will vary according to several criteria:

- Interface/Ease of use

- Detection rate

- Performance/Resource usage

- Price

- Support, service etc.

If you are going to choose an AV solely based on how many malware it detects, then you should check AV-Comparatives and look at the detection rates for all the tested AntiVirus programs. The On-Demand comparative determines the detection rates at maximum settings and the Retrospective/Proactive comparative test determines the zero-day/heuristic/proactive protection ability of the AntiVirus programs. Basically any AV that gets an "Advanced" rating or better in the On-demand comparatives at AV-comparatives will provide good protection.

You should try all the AVs tested on AV-comparatives and make your decision. In my opinion AVG*, BitDefender, NOD32, F-Secure (Kaspersky engine), and ArcaVir (ArcaBit - antivirus software - ArcaVir) are all good AVs.

* = AVG Paid editions have noticeably higher detection rate than AVG free edition. The listing of editions is as follows:

AVG Anti-Virus Free edition: Anti-Virus only (protection from viruses, trojans, worms)

AVG Anti-Virus Professional edition (Paid): Anti-Virus + Potentially Unwanted Program detection (Adware, Spyware, Dialers, etc.)

AVG Anti-Malware edition (paid): Anti-Virus + Potentially Unwanted Program detection + Additional trojans and adware/spyware/dialers/riskware detection by use of the Ewido Anti-Spyware engine.

AVG Internet Security (paid): All of the above.

Back