Audio Which budget earphones/iem for SGS?

zhopudey

Skilled
The stock earphones for my SGS are gonna kick the bucket soon. The cable will soon break just above the 3.5mm connector :(

I need a decent replacement, but nothing too expensive. I mainly watch movies on my phone, so the sound should be loud and clear, with good amount of isolation. Music quality is secondary, but anything better than the stock phones will be good enough.

I haven't mentioned a budget cause the current iem scene is totally greek and latin to me. I checked a few thread here and found phones for 3-4k and up - obviously not something I'm looking for now (maybe 3 years earlier ...:p). No idea what is the minimum cost for decent phones. Just keep the stock sgs phones as a reference point.

I am a lazy bum, so will only buy these online. :p

What kind of sound are you looking for? An approximate budget?

If you want just a replacement for your stock earbuds, JVC Marshmallow fit the bill, PristineNote sells them at around 560-570 shipped.

abhi_jollyguy said:
what is SGS?

:ashamed: Samsung Galaxy S

From the gsmarena review -

Perfect audio quality

Like many other things about this handset, the audio output of the Samsung I9000 Galaxy S is downright impressive. The handset was reasonably loud and scored excellently on each and every reading in our test.

The signal-to-noise ratio is impressive and so are the flawless dynamic range and frequency response.

The distortion levels are also top-notch and generally there is nothing about the Galaxy S audio quality that we can frown at. And here go the results so you can see for yourselves.

@mephi etc,

Like I said, I don't know what basic decent phones cost. But I guess I wouldn't want to spend more than 600-800. What kind of sound? Well how many options do I have under 800?

Is a in-built mic required ? You can consider options like JVC Marshmallow ,Creative EP-630 for under 1k range. 1k-2k range -Brainwavz M1 , Head-Direct RE2 etc :).

abhi_jollyguy said:
Go with the SoundMagic PL-21 if mic is needed so SoundMagic MP-21. Cheers
But before that it has to confirmed whether the MIC works with the phone or not. Because the soundmagic MP21 advertises that it will work with iPhone and does not mention about any other phones. Had tried them on my Nokia 5230 and the mic does not work as the placement of pins in nokia is different from iphones, similarly it has to be first confirmed that it will work.

Mephistopheles said:
Under 800 you have EP630, PL11 and JVC Marshmallow. All of these are similar in SQ.

I'd say get yourself JVC Marshmallow.

PL-21 also comes under that price range and sounds better than all of them. Havent tried the JVC so cant say about it.
FaH33m said:
Is a in-built mic required ? You can consider options like JVC Marshmallow ,Creative EP-630 for under 1k range. 1k-2k range -Brainwavz M1 , Head-Direct RE2 etc :).
Not the best for movie watching, are they?

I feel that if movie watching is primary purpose, then no need to buy very high end earphones as they wont be VFM, better get anything which is under your budget and you should be good.

raksrules said:
But before that it has to confirmed whether the MIC works with the phone or not. Because the soundmagic MP21 advertises that it will work with iPhone and does not mention about any other phones. Had tried them on my Nokia 5230 and the mic does not work as the placement of pins in nokia is different from iphones, similarly it has to be first confirmed that it will work.
Yes, true Sometimes I feels dat the mic of MP-21 don't work properly with my Nokia 5233

Like they say over at head-fi, "say goodbye to your wallet" :p

So now I'm looking at the PL30 :ashamed: Mediahome has them for 1030 on ebay. Anything else I can consider around the same price?

zhopudey said:
Like they say over at head-fi, "say goodbye to your wallet" :p

It does seem to be an expensive hobby :(.

So now I'm looking at the PL30 :ashamed: Mediahome has them for 1030 on ebay. Anything else I can consider around the same price?

How you narrowed down to the PL-30 all of a sudden? It doesnt have the heavy/boomy bass of the other alternatives suggested above, not the best for movies per se. But has great soundstage with punchy bass, a bit analytical.

Still if you have decided on it then you just missed Prime's deal of the day offer where they were selling them for 850 bucks (i think there was free shipping as well, not sure though). This was last week and Lynx-India's eBay shop too had them for Rs. 845+ Shipping, but currently the shop doesnt have a single item listed:S.

eternoMind said:
How you narrowed down to the PL-30 all of a sudden? It doesnt have the heavy/boomy bass of the other alternatives suggested above, not the best for movies per se. But has great soundstage with punchy bass, a bit analytical.

I don't like heavy/boomy bass. :no: While watching movies, I'm mainly concerned with the dialogues. All reviews say the pl30 have a balanced sound, which I think I would like.

Anything else I should consider?

+1 to the PL-21. Its a good combination of bass and detailing. The best in fact for its price range. More fun sounding than the analytical nature of PL-30.

Back