Camera Which camera to buy - cannon s3 is or sd 800 IS

i have zeroed in on the following two cameras..... and cannot decide which one to buy.... please help... my criteria are as follows

1. mostly to try various manual modes on non life pics
2. will take with me on tours as i like to keep an image collection for memories
3. cant decide between fast processor vs more flexibility

have checked the revies in dpreview but still cannot decide, so please help me with ur comments and experiences.......

also can some one please tell me the prices of the two when taken along with bill and warranty card.....

thanks in advance

Hi,

Given your requirements, I cannot even fathom why the SD800IS is even an option. It has no manual modes except for exposure adjustments and doesn't have half the flexibility as the S3 IS.

The only plus point for the SD800 is the 28mm wide-angle lens. What you really should be asking yourself is whether you need the long-zoom of the S3IS (12x, 36-432mm) or the smaller compact wide-angle of the SD800 IS.

I'd actually suggest you give the Canon A710 IS also a very good look too if you want a small, compact cam which gives you manual features and a decent zoom.

The S3 IS is huuge and the SD800 is ultra small. These cameras are very much chalk and cheese.:)

If you are even slightly interested in photography then get the S3 IS. If you plan on leaving your camera in auto-mode all the time then get the SD800 IS.

Yeah dood...its pointless comparing S3 with the SD :p Consider the A710 - it has manual mode (maybe less options than S3), a decent 6x zoom with IS, and is considerably smaller than S3.

Back