Which Console 2 buy

Ok guys, it looks like PC gaming is nearly dead as more and more titles coming to Xbox360 and PS3. This has left me high and dry with a selected few games that I play on my PC. Its time for me to buy a console and regarding which I have a few queries.
I have an option of buying Console from Singapore or Palika etc. without warranty as I feel that the current prices seem too exhorbitant to warrant 35k for PS3 officially. So here are my choices and questions:

1) XBOX 360 Premium Console -
Whats the Palika/Gray price?
Does this have HDMI?
What region is this from? US, Japan or Asia?
I have heard that Xbox360 go kaput quite soon, is it worth buying from gray and than repairing it if things go bad?
What region games officially sell in India?
Are game titles available locally in India work on the Xbox gray?

If I buy this from SG, what region is it going to be?
Would I be able to play games purchased locally from India on the SG XBOX 360?
Expected price of Xbox360 from SG?
Has XBOX Live been launched yet, and can we play online?

2) PS3 60 GB version Console -
Whats the current Palika price?
What region is this from (I think I know its NTSC -J)
My understanding all games region free so far, but wont play DVDs or PS2 PAL games.

How much would be the cost from SG?
Whats the region of SG PS3, is it the same as NTSC - J or is it PAL (pardon my ignorance,too lazy too google)?
Will I be able to play local PS2 games purchased here on PS3?
Is online play possible in India?

3) Wii Console
Whats the current Palika price?
What region is this from ?
Are games/titles available here, if so which region?
Is online gaming possible?
Are games easily available locally?

Whats the expected price in SG?
What region in SG?
Would games purchased locally in India work on the Wii purchased in SG?

Lastly, which console gets your vote. I am leaning towards PS3... but heard raving reviews about Wii... dont know about local games availability and support though.

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs. I will rep you if you take time to answer :eek:hyeah:

^me in the same boat pal. I have decided to dump PC gaming and get a xbox 360 because all the better games are on xbox. I have spent some time googling and found that it would be best to get xbox with warranty only because chances of failure of xbox are higher than 33%. It seems if we can get wireless controller and hard disk for good price at palika then we can buy the core console from microsoft which comes with 3yr warranty. Otherwise, get a premium console for 26-27k with 3yr warranty.

BTW, playing HALO 3 on xbox live is simply amazing. Hence no modding for my xbox.

Can other people share their knowlege and tel about the best place to buy official xbox console.

go for XBOX360 as, game availability is good and price is also lower that PS3 games.

TE_addict said:
^me in the same boat pal. I have decided to dump PC gaming and get a xbox 360 because all the better games are on xbox. I have spent some time googling and found that it would be best to get xbox with warranty only because chances of failure of xbox are higher than 33%. It seems if we can get wireless controller and hard disk for good price at palika then we can buy the core console from microsoft which comes with 3yr warranty. Otherwise, get a premium console for 26-27k with 3yr warranty.

BTW, playing HALO 3 on xbox live is simply amazing. Hence no modding for my xbox.

Can other people share their knowlege and tel about the best place to buy official xbox console.

Does the Core system have HDMI?

Newer core consoles with falcon motherboard have hdmi out but w/o hdmi cable. Also users have reported that image quality with component v/s hdmi is same. No visible difference

well depends on what ur lookin for , i have played on em all
if its all gfx n gameplay n cheap backups get the xbox 360
if its little fun(tilt functikons of the ps3 controller), expensive games n eyecandy get the ps3
if its all fun and i mean absolute fun immense fun while playin with lotsa people in your house , decent gfx get the wii

if i were u id get the wii hands down , id suggest u try all of em at a frens place before buyin em

TE_addict said:
Newer core consoles with falcon motherboard have hdmi out but w/o hdmi cable. Also users have reported that image quality with component v/s hdmi is same. No visible difference

IIRC the problem of red rings of death is not that prevelant in the models with HDMI/falcon chips.

1. X360

IIRC, the elite version has hdmi out. Dunno about the latest premium ones.

Since you will just be shooting yourself on the foot (33.3% chances of your X360 going kaput) if you will be buying it from palika (since you won't be getting the official warranty), there is only one way to get your premium x360 and that is officially, non-modded. I learned this from experience when I bought X360 from palika and it went kaput within a week, got it fixed for Rs.4k and again went kaput within 2 weeks, and then sold the broken piece for rs.8k.

Believe me you don't want to get your X360 from gray market, please buy it officially if you make up for mind for it.

Indian region is PAL, so your X360 will be pal and it will work with pal region games only. Games can be bought from palika/gray market, official stores like planet m, or the internet (don't know if play-asia stock pal region games, but they should)

And don't get it modded to play backups.

As for Xbox Live, iirc, it was supposed to be launched in India with Halo3's launch (23rd Sept). Can somebody please confirm this?

2. PS3

The prices hovers around 23-27k for 60-80 gb systems. Buy this from gray if you want to, its a quality machine. And it'll be ntsc-j if you get it from gray but it won't matter much since bluray games are all region free, but ps2 games will be region locked.

Will I be able to play local PS2 games purchased here on PS3?

Ps3 won't run pirated/backed up ps2 games. If you buy a pal version of the ps3 (officially) you will be able to play pal ps2 games (all original). With the Ntsc-j console you will be forced to buy ntsc-j ps2 games. And a ps2 retails for rs.7k officially and modded anyways.

And online play works. PSN accepts Indian registrations, but right now a store for India hasn't been opened, so if you want access to demos and trailers on the psn you can do that by creating a new profile and selecting USA as the country so you can get access to their store for all the downloadable stuff.

Online play has been perfect for me so far (on airtel 256kbps unlm). Been playing Resistance and Warhawk online, zero lag.

3. Wii

Rs.14k modded. Have no idea about it reliability. Nintendo is nowhere in India so your only repair source will be palika. Games are nowhere sold except palika again, but it shouldn't matter, discover ONLINE SHOPPING people! Its fantastic. Ebay USA or play-asia takes care of all that. Have no idea about the regions or online.

Now my opinion : Wii is a great console, but it won't satisfy you long enough for this generation. You're coming from PC gaming and that tells me you'd want some high resoltion stuff being outputted through a large ass hdtv via hdmi, and sooner or later you would want to go back to the traditional style of playing games (i.e a gamepad) while the wiimote novelty may wear off after a while. So if you can only go for one console now for a long term plan, make a choice between Ps3 and X360. X360 has bigger library of games, and PS3's library is beginning to be fantastic. Right now I'm addicted to Warhawk, this game is crazy fun and perhaps the most intense game I've ever played online, and PS3 has pretty much leveled X360 in terms of shooters as well. So a lot of great games are on both the consoles but ps3 shows more promise about the future when comparing the exclusives (mgs4, ff13, haze, uncharted, gow, ut3, heavy rain, africa, rockstar exclusive new franchise along with LA Noire etc etc) and I have no idea about the x360 (geow2, mass effect..halo4?). So imo, go for the ps3, you won't be disappointed.

I hardly think that PC Gaming is dying, but still I am also thinking about getting a console just for some of those one-on-one, hack-slash genre of action games that I like very much and that are not developed for the PC. So for me its something to fill a small gap in my gaming rather than a replacement. :eek:hyeah:

Anyway I am also in the dilemma of PS3 Vs XBOX 360. I am not considering the Wii for now as even though the games are fun, they require some physical space to play and actually enjoy.

I have been re(google)searching on XBOX 360 and PS3 and heres the main points

XBOX 360 - Positives

- Current (cross-platform) games have better image quality and lighting on XBOX360 than on PS3.

- Huge collection of games to select from compared to PS3.

- Lots of highly rated exclusives.

- Graphics subsystem seems to be stronger than PS3

- Titles are slightly cheaper than those of PS3

- Cab be modded to play *ahem* games.

XBOX 360 - Negatives

- Questionable Reliability

- Dual Layer DVD Support only (HD-DVD separate addition)

- Region locked games.

- Not as feature rich as PS3.

PS3 - Positives

- Faster than XBOX360 on paper.

- Lots of features.

- Ability to Install OS

- Reliable and trouble free hardware.

- Blue-Ray Player

- Backward compatible with PS2 (60GB version - hardware level with built in Emotion Engine, 80GB version - software emulation).

- Region free PS3 games. So titles can be bought anywhere irrespective of the version of console.

PS3 - Negatives

- Costlier than XBOX 360 unless bought from grey.

- Games costlier than XBOX360 titles.

- Poor availability of games currently.

- Weak Graphics subsystem compared to XBOX360.

- Only PS3 exclusives will get the max out of PS3. Cross platform ones are just being made for PC/XBOX360 and then ported to PS3.

Currently game quality and availability wise, XBOX360 is better, but still other than the exclusives, rest of the popular games will be available on the PC too. So I am favoring the PS3 a bit.

Me: PS3, dont think it has "Weak" GFX subsystem.it just doesnt have USA. its just that no games are presently available to "tap" the Cell+GFX potential, but that would change in utmost a year. and game developers are seeing the potential of PS3 and doing a great job of it. and its future perfect.

But if u want HDDVD, a library of games then xbox360 is the way to go.

PlayStation 3 vs. Xbox 360: Tech Head-to-Head - GameSpot Tech - Computers, Video Cards, Monitors, Laptops, Cell Phones, Home Theater and more

Playstation 3 vs. XBOX 360 - A Game Developer's Perspective - hardCOREware.net

go through this before u make a decision. BTW in a months time Sony is gonna announce an "update" to the PS3 u may wait for that too.

the XBOX360 doesn't deliver that good quality of images on the HDTV gears of war was looking very sharp with no AA or anything as such.

waiting for the PC version

i'de suggest wait save and invest in a good PC cuz many games land up on the PC which are for the Xbox

Ero-Sannin said:
the XBOX360 doesn't deliver that good quality of images on the HDTV gears of war was looking very sharp with no AA or anything as such.
waiting for the PC version
i'de suggest wait save and invest in a good PC cuz many games land up on the PC which are for the Xbox

Dude I already have a great PC.... probably DX10 is only thing missing. I plan to add 8600GTS or 8800GT by November. So no worries on that front.

I guess the best would be to buy a PS3 from SG and bring it home. Games etc. I can buy here. Good game suggestions please....

techcheat said:
Dude I already have a great PC.... probably DX10 is only thing missing. I plan to add 8600GTS or 8800GT by November. So no worries on that front.

I guess the best would be to buy a PS3 from SG and bring it home. Games etc. I can buy here. Good game suggestions please....

How much cheaper will you get the PS3 in sgpore? I am myself planning to buy it from Mumbai (The 60GB NTSC/J version) and get it shipped to my place.

btw, if you want to ensure proper PS2 compatibility then get the 60GB version. The 60GB version offers PS2 hardware level compatibility by including the Emotion Engine chip. The newer versions like the 80GB one only offers software level compatibility through emulation which means compatibility with lesser number of games, performance issues and periodic updates.

Back