Which handycam for parents?

Sourav

Adept
Hi people!

My parents will be going to Bangkok on a holiday for a few days. It's their annual holiday thingy, so i was thinking of gifting them a handycam for their trip this coming February 2008.

Now, they are not exactly comfortable with new technology, and complicated stuff, so please suggest something which is relatively simple to handle. I am not too keen on a digicam, as my dad already has a good ol' Canon(film/reel wala camera :p ) which he loves to death. So i am more focused on a handycam.

So please suggest a Handycam suitable for them. I do not have any ideas on the available models in the market, so please feel free to suggest anything. AFAIK, there are mini-dv handycam's and card-wala handycam's these days. So please suggest the appropriate ones within a maximum budget of 20K's.

Thanks,

Sourav

I'd suggest you talk your Dad into upgrading to a digicam coz handycams are not really used much (people just buy them just to feel good that they have taken a moving picture of the place they have been, all the while without realizing that they will see it maybe once after that and they wasted all the time filming the place when they should be actually actually enjoying it with their own eyes)

If you really have to, I'd say go for any latest Sony one (depending on usage a High Definition one or a standard definition one), my Dad uses it sometimes (older model now DCR HC 40) with ease (It has an easy button which reduces the complexity a lot, also makes the text on the screen larger for easy reading). Also, why not ask them to buy it there itself, it'll cheaper over there...

+1 to rishia comments abt the handycams.

Sourav, i would suggest u to give them ur S5 IS which u have put up for sale re.

Just teach them few basic things in it and they are good to go. If they want to capture some video, u can do the same with the S5 IS.

+1 for the same thing buddy, they are parents, not tech-junkies.... keep thing as simple as possible for them... let them enjoy the shooting the movie rather then understanding the features :)

My dad love to keep his good old Samsung D500 rather then taking any new touchpanel thingy :)

^^ Thanks for the replies folks :) Point noted. Thing is, I need to sell the cam to make some cash for the TV I'm buying them, and i was thinking of getting the handycam/digicam with my credit card :p. So, can you people suggest a not so very expensive digicam now? Nothing like the S3/S5. Bulky+Maunal controls etc are the things I am not looking for. Should be simple and small. Decent photo+video capabilities :) Anything in Sony/Canon?

Hey guys.. I have the same problem.Do you guys have a better model to suggest since this thread was created?

My parents are not comfortable with complicated gadgets and are looking for an extremely easy-to-use and user-friendly camcorder.Budget falls between around 15k.Max stretchable limit would be 20K.

Also since a lot of travel would be happening, I am not going for a HDD based camcorder, with the guys at the airports throwing the bags like crazy into/from the airplanes.I think mini-dvd would be best.

So, basic requirements are -

1. Ease of use while shooting.

2. Ease of use while Watching the movies on TV or transferring it.

3. Within budget of 20K.

Most of these camcorders can be hooked directly to the TV(with the dvd still inside) and played on it, right?

Back