Car & Bike Which Hatchback around 7L?

imkaush

Adept
Purpose – Weekend drives in city (Mumbai - 100 km), sometimes to office (both ways total 20km) and occasional trips to surrounding locations (100-200 km).
Drivers – Mostly me (driving since 12 years => Zen(1st gen), Swift VXi, Zen Estilo, SX4).
Passengers – 2 + 1 infant(2 motnhs old). Parents/InLaws/siblings occasionally. All are around 5ft tall and not heavily built.
Budget – 7L +/- 20k (mostly on loan)
Cars considered – Maruti Ignis Zeta MT, Ford Figo Titanium, VW Polo.
Looking for Petrol variants due to usage pattern. Prefer 1.2 (4 cylinder) engines for reasonable power.
Have test-driven Ignis Alpha Petrol and found it similar to Swift (Already have Swift VXi in family, drive it frequently).
Inclined towards Figo 1.2 Ti-VCT Titanium due to drive comfort, lower maintenance cost, service transparency (based on reviews, not test-driven yet).
Looking to buy in 3-4 months (including delivery).
Want to consider brands which are trusted and reliable in terms of quality and cost, basically VFM.
Please give other suggestions and things to consider.

^^ He has mentioned he prefers 4 cylinder engines, Polo has a 3 cylinder one. Its a real shame, VW have very nice Diesel engines on the Polo and Ameo but the Petrols are meh.

Since you have always only used Maruti cars, I'd say go for Figo, it will be a nice change. Why not the Elite i20 though? Its a good all rounder.

Since you have always only used Maruti cars, I'd say go for Figo, it will be a nice change. Why not the Elite i20 though? Its a good all rounder.
Just compared Elite i20 Era (6.7 lakhs) and Magna (7.35 lakhs) with Figo Titanium (7.06 lakhs)
Era is base version so many basic things missing, and Magna is mid one with ABS+EBD and some other features missing.
i20 Asta and Sport variants are outside my budget.

The Figo Titanium ticks almost all the boxes.

In some forums, I see Tiago being suggested a lot. Has Tata service and maintenance improved with this launch?
It's top end Petrol variant is at ~6 lakhs OTR. Of course it's a 3 cylinder but has some cool features like Harman audio and parking sensors, but is quite small and thus has very less boot space.

Figo is a obvious choice as per your requirements, don't worry about maintenance, its very much comparable to the Maruti now.

If you could increase the budget a bit.. Consider Maruti Baleno as well, the Petrol version has been reviewed favorably as very driver oriented.

Just compared Elite i20 Era (6.7 lakhs) and Magna (7.35 lakhs) with Figo Titanium (7.06 lakhs)
Era is base version so many basic things missing, and Magna is mid one with ABS+EBD and some other features missing.
i20 Asta and Sport variants are outside my budget.

The Figo Titanium ticks almost all the boxes.

In some forums, I see Tiago being suggested a lot. Has Tata service and maintenance improved with this launch?
It's top end Petrol variant is at ~6 lakhs OTR. Of course it's a 3 cylinder but has some cool features like Harman audio and parking sensors, but is quite small and thus has very less boot space.
Tiago is making a lot of noises in the market. Seems TATA finally got something right. It was also rated as COTY in team-bhp

Why can't you go for a test drive and decide. I personally liked the looks of it

Figo is also a very good choice, but it is better to test all the possible options before deciding. All the Best :)

You are saying the other way around.
TATA spares and maintenance is much cheaper than Ford.
6 year maintenance costs from CarDekho (not sure of authenticity):

Tiago: ~23k https://www.cardekho.com/tata-tiago/service-cost.htm

Figo: ~20k https://www.cardekho.com/ford-figo/service-cost.htm

Seems both are at same level if the numbers are approximately correct.

Figo is a obvious choice as per your requirements, don't worry about maintenance, its very much comparable to the Maruti now.

If you could increase the budget a bit.. Consider Maruti Baleno as well, the Petrol version has been reviewed favorably as very driver oriented.
~7 lakhs is already my bumped up budget :p
And boy what waiting times does Baleno have... 6-8 months! :|

Tiago is making a lot of noises in the market. Seems TATA finally got something right. It was also rated as COTY in team-bhp

Why can't you go for a test drive and decide. I personally liked the looks of it

Figo is also a very good choice, but it is better to test all the possible options before deciding. All the Best :)
Yup, will be driving the options... want to know about the experience post-buying like service and maintenance.

Target buy in mar apr as discounts usually pops up this time of the year. Last year march had 45k discount on all polo variant and april had 1 lakh discount on bolt old models. Discounts appear in mycarhelpline

The list is missing brio.

A visit to showroom and a test drive will resolve most queries. A visit to the Tata dealer was what made me drop Tata bolt -which was initially the first choice.

Target buy in mar apr as discounts usually pops up this time of the year. Last year march had 45k discount on all polo variant and april had 1 lakh discount on bolt old models. Discounts appear in mycarhelpline

The list is missing brio.

A visit to showroom and a test drive will resolve most queries. A visit to the Tata dealer was what made me drop Tata bolt -which was initially the first choice.
Will check out mycarhelpline, thanks!

Yup will look at brio too :)

Can you share what made you drop Bolt?

get the baleno, Im sure you will get it in 2-3 months. the figo petrol engine is not really good in power or anything. the diesel though is amazing. ignis is overpriced for such a tiny car.
Also look at grandi10 than i20. Has a lovely engine good for city driving and suspension is very comfartable.

Will check out mycarhelpline, thanks!

Yup will look at brio too :)

Can you share what made you drop Bolt?

Since they were advertising tiago, I asked for a test drive of a tiago. Was told that it was unavailable as it was in some carnival. Which was ok as it was before the launch.
Then I requested for the petrol bolt test drive. The sales person was not sure whether it was available, then checked around and got the keys. We went out only to find that it was a bolt diesel. I was asked to test drive the diesel as he felt both were similar. Apparently the petrol's battery was out.

The staff were actually nice but didn't give a professional feel. And it was the showroom after i had visited Hyundai, maruti,nexa, vw, Honda on the same day. The contrast was stark. So, at that point, I couldn't ignore all the appreciations about Tata.

Back