PC Peripherals Which is the best CD-RW/DVD ROM combo??

Nikhil

Skilled
Well, the title says it all....

I have burnt some DVDs which are not being recognised by all DVD-drives.

My LiteOn 1653S recognises it becuase it was the one which spoilt the damn DVDs in the first place.

MY dad's Acer Ferrari lappy recognises the DVDs. But my old comp's Samsung CD-Rw/DVD-Rom does not recognise.

So, basically, I want the best CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo. But my friend already has a CD-RW. So, even the BEST DVD ROM will do.

COuld you guys please give some model names?? LiteOn?? Or something else??

Thanks

Nikhil

Nikhil said:
Well, the title says it all....

My LiteOn 1653S recognises it becuase it was the one which spoilt the damn DVDs in the first place.

MY dad's Acer Ferrari lappy recognises the DVDs. But my old comp's Samsung CD-Rw/DVD-Rom does not recognise.

So, basically, I want the best CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo. But my friend already has a CD-RW. So, even the BEST DVD ROM will do.

COuld you guys please give some model names?? LiteOn?? Or something else??

Thanks

Nikhil

The Sony CRX320AE/U 52X Combo Drive for Rs. 2200 is the best combo drive.

& the BenQ 1650V 16X DVD-Rom Drive is the best DVD-Rom drive.

Grab a liteon or sony! Both will be the same drive.

Edit: On second thoughts, grab a Benq DW1640. Its just around 600 bucks more than the dvd-cd combo :p. Totally worth it!

Any model of LiteOn is ok??

i.e if my friend does not want to go for a 1640....

BTw, what is the approx price of 1640 in Bangalore?? and what abt a CD-Rw/DVD Combo??

Nikhil said:

When I burn DVD+Rs and take them over to friends places I found most older DVD players and ROMs will not read them even when I have set the bit for -R. The +R disks are not just not recognised by older DVD ROMs/Players. Maybe that is what you are facing too.

When I was looking to buy a DVDROM drive to go along with my BENQ 1640 I checked thru the forums for the most compatible drive and it was no competition everywhere I read people mention the LiteOn DVDROM model SOHD-16P9S ... so that is what I bought for 1500/- and it has truly been an amazing DVD reader/ripper. Not sure about which is the best Combo drive.

Did you try doing a K-Probe/Nero Cd-dvd speed scan....

If the scans are bad, you'd be better off changing the media

Good new drives will read badly burnt media but at the cost of accelerated lens wear-out....

Also, as Eazy pointed out, DVD+R media has issues being recognized by older drives....My Fatboy PS2 has a hard time reading nicely burnt +R's

Well, the DVDs I burnt are almost coasters. You remember the other thread I started??

Well, I was talking abt those DVDs itself.

Anyway, I have given my friend all the options. He is planning to buy a combo drive which in Bangalore for LiteOn is 1990 + taxes. I recommended him to buy the 1640 for 2900+ taxes = 3016...

It is up to him what he decides.... s

BTW,

Does the 1640 come with some sort of DVD-Writing software?? Coz my friend has only Nero for CD-Writing. I dunno which version.

i have the same liteon dvdrom as eazy and i must say its really good,no issues wutsoever,also id suggest a dvdrom over combo,combos r quite problematic

eiethr get a dvd rom or dvd burner,dont get somethin in d middle else ull have issues :p

lotsa my friends have had issues ith combo drives frankly speaking

Well, my friend cannot get the DVD-ROM as his cabby is one of those Zenith ones.

The optical drive is verical and there is no place for ANOTHER drive. So he has to buy a CD-RW combo or a DVd-Writer. He HAS to remove the present CD-RW in his comp.

IMHO, ASUS DVD-E616P3 is a very good DVD-ROM drive. These days, it doesn't
make sense to buy Combo drives, for one can have a decent DVD writer for a
few bucks more.

^ Oops! Just noticed that DVD-ROM isn't an option. In that case, ask him to
get an LG GSA-4167B, BenQ 1640, Pioneer A10XL or LiteOn 1693s.

Thanks Yamaraj.... :)

But then as I explained in my previous post, he cannot have a DVD-ROM as then he would lose the CD-RW capability.

I found my Asus dvd rom to be quite good.... dunno about the ones in the market today but this was bought in June 2003 and its still going great...

btw...its the one I put up for sale on TE....

wanna get another dvd burner...any suggestions....was thinking LG...already have 2 sony burners (720A, 810A)

^^

As far as the DVD burners go just get the Benq 1640. period. The posts above have confirmed that anyway. Even the sony 810A you have is a Benq rebadge. I just got the Benq today for Rs2850!!

It seems you have a fetish for dvd writers and wish to collect all possible types. Lol. If you want to try something new then please get a gigabyte 16x dual layer burner and review it for us. Its available very cheap and im eager to see its performance.

Raghu.

Back