Which is the best custom ROM for Galaxy S i9000?

zhopudey

Skilled
I'd tried CM7, got bored - went back to stock. Now the news of CM9 got me excited, so decided to give CM7 a try again. But the camera still sucks, and I miss the samsung codecs. So I'll stick to a samsung based rom for now. But the question is which?

I've tried a few custom roms earlier, including darky, insanity, and some others that I've forgotten. But usually I came back to stock + custom kernel. That seemed to work the best wrt to stability and battery life. Is there any new custom rom/ kernel I should try out? I need excellent video recording and playback support. General stability and battery life are of course important.

Try MIUI. The camera has improved and is close to/ as good as the Samsung camera now. Lots of customizations/themes. It's based on CM7 so it's fast, smooth and slick. :D

Can't say much about Samsung based roms since I use a Vibrant.

viralbug said:
Try MIUI. The camera has improved and is close to/ as good as the Samsung camera now. Lots of customizations/themes. It's based on CM7 so it's fast, smooth and slick. :D

Can't say much about Samsung based roms since I use a Vibrant.

MIUI is based on cm7 but uses a different cam?

What I mean is, MIUI uses CM sources as it's base. But they have a completely different UI and they have their own apps. The MIUI dialer and camera are wayyyyy better than the stock android crap that comes in CM7. Try it for a day or two and see if you like it.

Samsung stock video player is something you will miss though. But you can always use another player for videos.

stalker said:
hang around for a couple of weeks.. You should have stable ICS available :)

Isnt it gonna be months for samsung to release ICS ?? Heard its not gonna be here before feb 2012, read somewhere on GSM Arena

My Vote goes to MIUI Handsdown

Read up a lot on various roms, and decided to stick to JVT + Semaphore :) Its the little things in samsung stock that I miss in CM7. They all will be missing from cm9 as well :(

Anyway, my next phone is surely gonna be a nexus.

stalker said:
hang around for a couple of weeks.. You should have stable ICS available :)

Maybe not as stable as Zhopey would like I think. But yes, the ICS development for SGS has been really awesome. I had it running on my Vibrant today. :)

ryanrulez4ever said:
Isnt it gonna be months for samsung to release ICS ?? Heard its not gonna be here before feb 2012, read somewhere on GSM Arena

My Vote goes to MIUI Handsdown

I'm not sure you noticed, but the thread title said, 'Custom ROM' :p

Try Darkys/Bionix. They may not be as shiny as MIUI or as "special" as CM7 is but those two are the snappiest, battery saviest ROMS i came across.

Back