Video Which LCD Tv to choose ?

Hi ppl,

I am planning on buying a new LCD TV within next month or 2. Now i am really confused. I have finally got it down to three models. All three models cost roughly the same.

Firstly let me state my purpose - Gaming and Movies through PC - No Consoles. For normal desktop work i love my vx2025.

1. Bravia V series 40" - 720p Rs. 92K

2. Bravia D series 40" - 720p Rs. 95K

Sony India : D Series

This link shows their comparison. Only difference between these two is motion flow.

3. Samsung LS40M81B - 1080p Rs. 98K

LA40M81B LCD TV - television SAMSUNG

The advantage of Samsung is that it is 1920x1080. Which i feel will be good for gaming.

But i saw this samsung TV next to BRavia 40" S-series (s series is lower than the d and v series). And trust me, the S-Series was actually looking better than the samsung 1080p one. The thing is SHould i get a high end 720p from sony or should i get a medium to low end 1080p from samsung. It is in other words, picture and color quality vs resolution. Please let me know your answers as soon as possible. I might be buying it next weekend itself
biggrin.gif

Anyways as a second thought, one more thing has been confusing me lately. For the same cost, i can easily get the DELL 3008wfp, 30" Monitor. And that has a resolution of 2560x1600. Now tell me that resolution would be an overkill even for ultra ???? or will ultra handle it easily. But since my purpose is gaming and movies, i think 40" TV wins over the 30" monitor. But then i thought for gaming and little bit comp work 1080p would be good. But the 1080p in affordable range was nothing in picture quality as compared to 720p bravias. Hence the thought of 30" monitor, which lags in the size department but wins in picture quality and resolution department.

Anyways ... place yourself in my shoes. I have an excellent 20" P-MVA panel which i have no plans to give up on. I will still love to play all the First Person shooters on it (kbd/mouse option). But for games that i play using a gamepad - like NFS and all. I would play them from a distance on this new Display that I would be getting. So please tell me what to buy ??????

If you ppl suggest bravia then also tell me whether to get with motion flow (D series) or the one without Motion Flow (V-Series). I am putting a votion option but please state the reasons for you vote also.

Thanks a lot ppl.

i wonder even if u go for the fastest card and SLI them, i.e 8800 ultra SLI, can it support all the games @ 2560x1600.

Drop the monitor ... I just put it there as a second thought. If it was just 720p Bravia vs 1080p samsung ... both 40".

the requirements i have stated above. What would be a better choice.

Thanks

no idea about the LCD TV man, but tell me this, can u be able to sit near the 40" LCD TV and play PC games??? coz u need to sit alteast 4 feets away from the LCD TV to view it properly(atleast in my case). How will ur setup be for gaming in the LCD TV??? Have u considered this factor. Put on some light for me in this case.

Also as far as Movies are concerned 1080p is always better.

About the LCD TV models, let others answer it :)

P.S. If u r thinking about playing with wireless keyboard and mouse from a distance then i would say its a bad idea.

i suggest you ditch the high funda mumbo jumbo. motion flow and whatever are usually come for a high premium .

i have the U series and it works like a darling .

Not nessesarily is expensive always better

also look at other options . Toshiba is great

for 40inch ideally 720P is too less. But as you dont plan to use it as a desktop replacement monitor either would do.

Bravia engine is biggest selling point of the Sony TVs. It works great, tried and tested.

1080P gaming will be a huge issue with almost all cards out there. But buy 40inch 720P only if you are gonna sit good 4-5+ feet away from it as otherwise you will notice pixel dots on the screen due to larger dot pitch.

Honestly if you have this kind of budget, i would advice you to consider Panasonic Plasmas.

i wont be watching regular TV at all. Maybe in future but not at all now. I dont watch TV at all. So i am in no mood for plasma. As just for PC connectivity, a LCD is always recommended.

Now about the gaming part. I think i have mentioned in my first post, but i will mention again.

1. For FPS games (the ones i play with Kbd and mouse) I will use my existing monitor as i love it.

2. For movies, I will use this New HDTV as I watch movies from around 5-6 feet away.

3. For normal desktop work, again my current 20" monitor.

4. For games that are preferred with a gamepad - NFS, other car racing ones, adventure games like tomb raider, rayman and all, i will use the new TV.

I am not selling my current monitor and i dont intend to use the new panel as a permanent replacement. IT will be for HTPC purpose as i said.

The thing is with the Z-5500 i have the sound of a home theater in my room but when i watch movies from 5-6 feet, the 20" panel seems to small.

So here is my priority for the new TV

1. Movies from PC -60%

2. Gamepad based gaming - 40%

I wont be hooking up the PC to any sort of DVD/BluRay player. Neither will i connect it to Cable or tata sky. Maybe in future I can, but not now.

My question is simple. For the tasks stated, what wins

1. Bravia Engine and Superb colors and all with 720p

2. Samsung with 1080p but not as great as bravia engine.

As i saw the bravia 720p and Samsung 1080p next to each other and really found the bravia to be much better. But that was in a video. I am not sure how the games will look in these two resolutions.

But then if a game wont look good at 720p, i can easily play it on my monitor at 1680x1050. I will have both the displays hooked up all the time.

Thanks

The Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order): 1) contrast ratio, 2) color saturation, 3) color accuracy, 4) resolution. Resolution is 4th on the list and plasma is generally superior to LCD in all of the other areas (but much more prone to reflections/glare.) So pick your display size, then measure your seating distance, and then use the charts above to figure out if you would benefit from the larger screen size.

from here - 1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) CarltonBale.com

p.s. This makes it clear why my 7yr old 15" crt stills looks better than my 22" LCD, specially when I go back to it after a long time spent on the LCD :p

@Chaos - I really respect your opinion. But the reason why i am not in for a plasma are as follows:

1. I am ONLY going to connect it to a PC and everywhere on net i have read that for a PC ... LCD's are the way to go.

2. Earlier, say a year back, it was said that for more than 32" get a Plasma and less than that get a LCD. But nowdays the equation has changed. Now days with the price of LCDs coming further down and LCDs black levels also improving, it is said that even at 40" a LCD is good bet. Though above 46" one is better off with a plasma due to high cost differences.

3. The plasmas that are 40" have a resolution of 1024x768. Even 46" Plasmas (the ones i can afford) are having the same resolution. So even if i get a Plasma, i am stuck up in the same resolution dilemma. (1366x768) or (1920x1080).

Basically, It is decided that i have to get a LCD - I came to this conclusion after a lot of research. But my doubt here is not regarding LCD vs Plasma. But it is Bravia 720 vs Samsung 1080. Just tell me Chaos - if you were given an option to pick up between these 2 models only for movies and gaming, what would you have picked.

Thanks

The Samsung 1080p anyday

I really doubt if Sony's Bravia Engine is really better by leaps & bounds over Samsungs'

A tad better , perhaps...but not enought to justify the huge difference between their respective resolution

Despite the fact that I feel HD is overhyped (but thats just me), a higher resolution for a device connected to a PC is always welcome...

And 1360X768 will just not cut it on a 40" (text looks a little bloated even on my Bravia 32S310)

^^ Thanks man ... I think i am gonna settle for a Bravia. That only reason why i had this doubt was the 1080p of samsung. But with current and Future games, i think 1366x768 will be easier on my graphics card also. :)

I dont want to get a 95K tv and then again a new graphics card in few months. Thanks a lot everyone, i guess bravia it is.

As far as D and V is concerned, the sony showroom guy said that i can get my PC to his showroom (cabby kbd and mouse) and test it out before buying. Now that is something cool. I will know how it will fare on my pc before i actually end up buying it.

thanks a lot everyone.

If you are considering using it to play PC games, then get the 32" or something...But I guess you want the extra size for movies...

Bravia D is a good choice, but then its res will not hold up that well if you are going to stare at it from 4 feet...

Why not go in for console gaming and go for a plasma...

PC gaming and TVs dont go too well...

He He ... I have mentioned .. only for games with a gamepad ... that ones i play with 4-5 feet distance will be played on TV.

for All other games i play using kbd and monitor from close distance, I would be using my current monitor which i really love a lot.

Thanks

ashishkushwaha said:
He He ... I have mentioned .. only for games with a gamepad ... that ones i play with 4-5 feet distance will be played on TV.

for All other games i play using kbd and monitor from close distance, I would be using my current monitor which i really love a lot.

Thanks

Thats says it all. You just dont know it yet...You need a gaming console :p

HE HE, nopes you are wrong ... see 90% games i play with my kbd and mouse. One must be thinking that i will play Tomb raider, Prince and Gears kind of games with a gamepad ... but no no no ... i only play NFS kind of games with a gamepad ... I have no plans of getting a console. I love PC for gaming. And also i will have both the displays connected 24x7. So i will switch between the two as and when needed.

Anyways, i said that the good news is that the person allowed me to get my PC to the showroom. If i for once would get the feeling that it is not looking good, i wont buy :)

No fear :D

Thanks

Back