Monitors Which LCD?

Generally people find that switching to the DVI port from the VGA on their LCD panels gives them sharper text. So yes it is advisable to stick to LCD panels with DVI ports.

However from the bit of reading i've been doing at a couple of good sites, I believe in practicality there's no real reason why a VGA port wouldnt be just as good. The reason they say people notice the *difference* when switching from the VGA to DVI port on the same LCD panel is that manufacturers who place both the ports on the panel can afford to pay attention to only one port - that usually being the DVI port.

When comparing LCD panels with DVI ports to those with just VGA only ports, the text on the VGA only LCD panels was found to be just as sharp as the DVI ones.

Crazy_Eddy said:
Generally people find that switching to the DVI port from the VGA on their LCD panels gives them sharper text. So yes it is advisable to stick to LCD panels with DVI ports.

However from the bit of reading i've been doing at a couple of good sites, I believe in practicality there's no real reason why a VGA port wouldnt be just as good. The reason they say people notice the *difference* when switching from the VGA to DVI port on the same LCD panel is that manufacturers who place both the ports on the panel can afford to pay attention to only one port - that usually being the DVI port.
When comparing LCD panels with DVI ports to those with just VGA only ports, the text on the VGA only LCD panels was found to be just as sharp as the DVI ones.
Any reference links so I can make up my mind as the 740N sounds quite good and I might plonk for it? Don't wanna buy it & find out I could do better with a DVI input model:hap5: !

well i think tht offer on printers is no more right?
i too want a 17 inch lcd just waiting for some diff panels as i really cant afford to see a single bit of color depreciation over a 17 inch crt when i am spilling 20k on some monitor.

DVI on a 17" is hard to find and not worth it. The printer offer is over though.

I'd vouch behind my LG 1730S anyday for games/movies over the Samsung 740N (I've used both).

Samsung is about Rs.700 cheaper here, check out your prices..

Anish said:
DVI on a 17" is hard to find and not worth it. The printer offer is over though.

I'd vouch behind my LG 1730S anyday for games/movies over the Samsung 740N (I've used both).

Samsung is about Rs.700 cheaper here, check out your prices..
The spec sheet for the LG shows response as 12 ms<Samsung's 8 ms. Also the contrast on the Sam is 600:1> LG 550:1. Is it really better than the Samsung? I'm confused,man:huh:

Naga said:
Well, it's the Benq FP71E+ for me then.

I would check out the Samsung 770P as it is a 8bit monitor and according to what I have read and Chaos has said it MAKES a BIG difference in quality of display. It was mentioned in Techtree as being available for 28k !!

Eazy said:
I would check out the Samsung 770P as it is a 8bit monitor and according to what I have read and Chaos has said it MAKES a BIG difference in quality of display. It was mentioned in Techtree as being available for 28k !!

better buy a Viewsonic VP930b for 29k than a Samsung 770P.

I had Benq 71E+ for 1 day demo.

It has DVI and there was noticible difference in the sharpness with DVI over VGA.

Its a good monitor, colours are good, its very bright( was too bright by default for me had to turn down the brightness), there wasent much ghosting in the gaming too. I could totally play NFSMW and CSS on this monitor. And honestly i am very very picky about the LCDs when it comes to ghosting.

Decent for sub 15K monitor. Getting it for my Dad.

Udit said:
better buy a Viewsonic VP930b for 29k than a Samsung 770P.
Budget=18k max. Honestly, doesn't anyone read the posts carefully:S ? Thanks but please remain within my budgetary limitations. Or are you guys doing your own thing here:S !!!

^ Psst.. Chill pal, he was just making a relative comparison to the Samsung 770P ;)

BTW, couldnt remember where I read this unusual comparison between DVI and VGA, so I guess you can dismiss my statement for now. Play it safe and opt for DVI :p

If going for the Benq, the Benq FP71V+ or the Benq FP71G+ would be better candidates than the E+ version cause they have better response times. And RiO is right, 18K tends to be a little towards 19" LCD territory, so if you can - try getting the 19" equivalents of the respective monitors .

Also I hope you know that if you're choosing a pure gaming panel with fast response times, they will almost always be TN type panels - these are 6-bit (18-bit for all 3 colors) panels that natively support 262K colors and use dithering to represent 16.2 million colors, in other words picture quality will suffer (but wouldnt make a difference in games).

The IPS or PVA/P-MVA panels are ones that are 8-bit (24-bit for all 3 colors) and support a true 16.7 million color reproduction, however they dont tend to be too good in their response times, and ones that can manage good response times (ViewSonic VP930b for example) tend to be quite expensive.

Eazy said:
I would check out the Samsung 770P as it is a 8bit monitor and according to what I have read and Chaos has said it MAKES a BIG difference in quality of display.

I believe there is a 19" LCD panel, the Samsung 970P which is a PVA panel as well, and has specs listing it as supporting 16.7 million colors. However, the shocking truth is that it actually is a 6-bit PVA panel with dithering (http://geocities.com/icecow88/970p-dithering-en.html). Apparently you require both the panel as well as the electronics to be 8-bit capable to actually get native 16.7 million colors. So you should watch out for this and not take PVA panels as also the 16.7 million color spec as a sign that it is a true 8-bit panel ;)

*Assuming* the 770P is the younger sibling of this same 970P model, I guess it would not really be a wise buy either (however note the "assuming" part, I dont know this for sure!).

Back