Which Satellite television network should i choose?

shanu53219

Disciple
Hi Friends,
I would like to have your suggestions and experience for Satellite television networks , which are currently available here in india, i wish to choose one which one has good picture quality and good channel support(paid), so plz guide me to choose one among whole lot .

with regards

shanu

Hi there
Can you please provide some more information as to where are you currenly located and your preffered channels..
Genericly speaking airtel's services are good and the plus is that you get a unviversal remote..

well i have both big tv and airtel digital tv,if u want a peace of mind get airtel,big tv does have a slight edge in video,but their service and support is bad,they still have issues with their software.

I have Tatasky and airtel,and i would suggest you to go for airtel there aint big difference but still i feel airtel is slightly better.and ill suggest you to not even think about Big which is trully pathetic...service is cr*p.for peace of mind either choose tatasky or airtel.:)

So far 3 candidates mentioned...

Tata, Airtel & Big

if you are from the south , i hear Big is better otherwise the other 2.

As far as major sports tournaments are concerned, is it accurate to assume you will receive them with either of the three ?

well big tv might have a slight edge in video quality,but having used big tv for 9 months i am still not happy with it,interface looks like a half hearted job compared to airtel digital tv,the menu,channel changing,volume control sometimes takes as much as 10 sec or more to respond,and for no reason even in a clear sky its say no signal.the customer care dont have a clue about this,once u do lodge a complaint they most of the times fail to respond and after a week or so when u enquire they say they have closed the compaint and assumed it to be solved,and a whole lot of other problems as well.

adder said:
but having used big tv for 9 months i am still not happy with it
adder said:
for no reason even in a clear sky its say no signal.the customer care dont have a clue about this

So, could you say what % of the time in those 9 months you had no signal ?

This is a tricky one as its weather related, how do you know the other providers would not also face a similar problem. Granted this is a downside of sat vs a cabled offering.

But you are saying one has more trouble than the other :)

blr_p said:
So, could you say what % of the time in those 9 months you had no signal ?

This is a tricky one as its weather related, how do you know the other providers would not also face a similar problem. Granted this is a downside of sat vs a cabled offering.

But you are saying one has more trouble than the other :)

well i have a airtel digital tv no issues whats so ever,well if in the 9 months of big tv,when ever it rains there are 85% chance of it showing no signal,and being in bangalore i guess u know how it is here,and on clear days i would say a 5% chance for it show no signal,even if that means 10 sec of loss in signal.but what the hell even if there is signal the stb hangs every single day on average every time u switch it on it hangs,may not immediately hang but it will eventualy hang.

well why i hate cable well let say i am watching f1 in star sports all of sudden i get a blanl screen next thing u know u are watching ten sports or zee sports,espn etc.and sometimes they put the wrong audio or fails to give audio in that channel only after a few call would they increase the volume,and sometimes u dont get signal either.

adder said:
well i have a airtel digital tv no issues whats so ever,well if in the 9 months of big tv,when ever it rains there are 85% chance of it showing no signal,and being in bangalore i guess u know how it is here,and on clear days i would say a 5% chance for it show no signal,even if that means 10 sec of loss in signal.but what the hell even if there is signal the stb hangs every single day on average every time u switch it on it hangs,may not immediately hang but it will eventualy hang.

This sounds like some hardware fault but it appears you had no luck with their support. There is one question, would you say the dish diameter is the same for both providers ?

adder said:
well why i hate cable well let say i am watching f1 in star sports all of sudden i get a blanl screen next thing u know u are watching ten sports or zee sports,espn etc.and sometimes they put the wrong audio or fails to give audio in that channel only after a few call would they increase the volume,and sometimes u dont get signal either.

Heh, absolutely why i dont watch much TV anymore :(

The thing is the price diff between cable & sat is prolly 1.5 - 2x so there isn't all that much competition offered in that price range. Was hoping Airtel would have come out with a wired solution but i guess they figured it was cheaper to go satellite.

blr_p said:
This sounds like some hardware fault but it appears you had no luck with their support. There is one question, would you say the dish diameter is the same for both providers ?.

well its not like a isolated problem infact even the replacement stb which the service guys brought started to hang ,right in front of their own eyes and when u tell the cc about the channel changing taking sometimes as much as 10sec ,the cc says "well thats kind a normal no sir":S ,and the repair centre manager says its will be rectified with a new software,i mean come on big tv started testing their product about 5 to 6months before airtel,and yet airtel digital tv launched commercialy just 1 month after big tv launched commercialy,airtel got the software(same proven software in TS ) and hardware right,were as big tv got both the hardware(cheap hyundai stb)and software wrong.
Heh, absolutely why i dont watch much TV anymore :(

The thing is the price diff between cable & sat is prolly 1.5 - 2x so there isn't all that much competition offered in that price range. Was hoping Airtel would have come out with a wired solution but i guess they figured it was cheaper to go satellite

well one thing for sure i am paying a lot more,earlier i use to share one cable connection for the 2 tv in my house which i used to pay Rs270,now i pay Rs250 for airtel and Rs250 for big tv,and yet none of the sports channels like star sports ,espn are included in that Rs250,and in big tv star sports and espn costs Rs40 a month and will have to subscribe a min period of 6 months meaning u have to pay outright Rs240 i.e 6monthsxRs40:mad: pure looting.

Back