Budget 0-20k Which second hand gpu should i buy?

I am looking to buy a second hand gpu under 8000 ? Which one of these is likely to be more genuine and not used in mining and will last longer? Nvidia Gtx 1660 6 gb Or amd Rx 580 8 gb. Amd gpu is cheaper and gives better performance but it uses more power, so it may have been an end of life card. What should I choose?

Why don't people recommend the RX 580, even though it is cheaper and gives better performance than the GTX 1660s? Does the high power consumption of the RX 580 reduce its lifespan?

How can we check the condition of a used GPU? like if it was used by a normal user or for mining.

Ideally get RX6600 around 12k, I won't recommend anything lower for gaming in 2024. Even RX6600 is a bit weaker than GPU of PS5, so it will become the minimum requirement for games in a year or so.

Why don't people recommend the RX 580, even though it is cheaper and gives better performance than the GTX 1660s? Does the high power consumption of the RX 580 reduce its lifespan?
Where are you getting this info from? All the benchmark videos on youtube put the 1660 super ahead of the rx 580 8 gig version
Even those comparison websites that I don't trust put the 1660s over the rx 580. The rx 580s competitor back when it released was the gtx 1060 6gb version and even then it didn't outclass it in everything.

Do not get an rx 580, it is a 7 year old gpu and unless you get a really good deal on it, like say 5k and below, it simply isn't worth it. Can't really run any new games reliably on it anymore. The gtx 1660s is better than it but those are much older than I would prefer them to be at this point. When I purchased my rx 570, it had only released about 2 years back. Paid 8k and it still had 2 years warranty left (although useless at the end with asus's shitty service). I'm still seeing people trying to sell their rx 570s and 580s for the same price which I find ridiculous, the base cost to build a budget gaming pc has skyrocketed. The rtx 2000 series from Nvidia and the Rx 6xxx series are the minimum you need now.

The rx 6600 as @Kaching999 said imo is the safer and better choice if you can get those 2nd hand for a good price imo. The gpus might still be in warranty as well.
Does the high power consumption of the RX 580 reduce its lifespan?

How can we check the condition of a used GPU? like if it was used by a normal user or for mining.
Just usage, the more you use it, the more likely it just decides to die off (rare though). Thermal paste starts drying up, high temps etc.

For condition of a used gpu, benchmark tests and avg temps were what I used to check.

Back