Which SSD will fit my laptop?

Hey all,

I am returning to the forum after 7 long years. Could never log back in after I joined the rat race to success.

Back to the point, I have an HP Probook 400 G5 - 8GB RAM and Core i7 with 1TB HDD.
Despite such a good config, the performance is still meh...

I read about the M.2 SSDs and confused between WD Blue / WD Green or Samsung EVO. Can shell out upto 4.3k.
Need your help to zero in on a drive and with the below queries:

1. Is 120GB good enough? (WD Green is Cheap @ 1.7k)
2. WD Blue starts with 250GB and is priced at 4k
3. Samsung 860 EVO is priced at 4.7k. Is it way better than WD Blue or just marginally better?
4. Will Samsung 860 EVO fit my drive bay?
5. In future, Can I remove the SSD and use as external SSD Drive?
6. Is the connector SATA or NVMe (Whats the difference eh)

Some pictures of my Laptop internal are attahced here

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 181
SATA is a normal connector which HDD attached currently. Seems you have m2 ssd provision, so you can use it along with HDD

M.2 or NVMe is significatly faster than SATA SSD (500 MBps for SATA vs >1000 MBps in case of M.2). Suggestion is use M.2 (120 GB will do), install OS in that parition for faster boot and access, use your 1TB HDD for other purpose.

Depends on the laptop though. If you don't have a M.2 slot you'll only have SATA 2.5 inch SSD options left open for you.
Can you share your exact model number. I can look up the details and then give you a recommendation.
P.S. I have been using Samsung SSDs exclusively since 2013 and they hold up without any hassles.

Take a look at this-

Last edited:
Reg differenec between samsung evo and others, samsung is king of the hill with respect to SSDs, they have better endurance and life (TBs written). Crucial MX comes second, everything else comes later. You wont see noticeable speed difference during normal usage between WD/Samsung or even between NVMe and regular 2.5" SSD. If you use your laptop for heavy video editing or similar workload then NVMe will show its effect, otherwise you probably wont see any real world gains.

Go for Samsung Evo 250gb minimum. 130 is way less, even 250gb is less for me [emoji1787]

Remove the DVD drive and attach your internal hdd there and in place of HDD install ssd. M.2 is fast. It I don't think you have that slot. If you have then go for m.2 ssd.

I personally have a zotac 240gb as primary + 1tb internal as secondary for storage. Works like a charm. W10 boot withing 10 sec [emoji2956]

Depends on the laptop though. If you don't have a M.2 slot you'll only have SATA 2.5 inch SSD options left open for you.
Can you share your exact model number. I can look up the details and then give you a recommendation.
P.S. I have been using Samsung SSDs exclusively since 2013 and they hold up without any hassles.

Take a look at this-

The model number given on the back does not yield correct info. Actually this model was custom built by HP for my organization.

HP Probook 440 G5
Model 3168NGW

Did you take a look at the pictures I have attached?

The model number given on the back does not yield correct info. Actually this model was custom built by HP for my organization.

HP Probook 440 G5
Model 3168NGW

Did you take a look at the pictures I have attached?
I took a look but that caddy is hiding the HDD. SO cant say if its a 7mm or 9.5 mm.

However as per the link posted by @tommy_vercetti I would suggest that you go for a M.2 SSD and keep the HDD as slow storage.

Go for this one as a SATA SSD at this budget is much better than a HDD. nvme SSD is overkill for your usage.

Now you will need to migrate the Windows 10 installation to the SSD and wipe the HDD to avoid boot manager conflicts.

I took a look but that caddy is hiding the HDD. SO cant say if its a 7mm or 9.5 mm.
Go for this one as a SATA SSD at this budget is much better than a HDD. nvme SSD is overkill for your usage.

I intend to keep the HDD and SSD for booting and other apps..
SATA has 2 holes in its connector and NVME has 1... so Looking at the M.2 Slot, it seems like SATA won't fit... only NVME will fit my system
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
Back