Which Unlocked phone from US ?

raksrules

Elite
Ok so i had opened previously a thread about buying the iPhone but calculating the economics, cost of buying an unlocked iPhone 4S, it is simply coming out to be very expensive. Also i have a camera too on my list before the phone so really cannot spend so much.
So what other options are available for me to buy an unlocked phone here in US ?
What options do i have ?

Samsung Focus if you are looking for a WP7 Phone should be around 10 K if someone getting it from US or around 11 K if via sns.

Android as metalspree mentioned no Android Phone worth getting it from US in the low Budget.

Since you are already in the US, see if you can get some phones under contract and then keep it for yourself when you come here. There used to be a clause earlier where in the ETF was waived if customer moves to a non-served area. If it still exists, do take advantage of it. Other than that, AT&T pretty much sucks.

I need a GSM phone and since i am in US i was thinking of buying it here only. I know that US is not really a market for unlocked phones :(

Cannot take a locked one since that will mean i keep on spending (wasting) a fixed amount every month and EFT will kill it since for AT&T, EFT is more than 300 USD and i have no way to prove i will be moving out to a non servicable area in near future.

PS: Phone is not for me but for wife.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I checked the photon 4G and it seems like a world phone supporting CDMA and GSM and on ebay.com i can see people selling the sprint version. Does it affect me who intends to use a T Mobile GSM SIM card in it ?

Are there custom ROMs (basically to remove the sprint crapware) and rooting available ?

On motorola's official website it is being sold for 549 USD without contract while on ebay some NIB are being sold for less than 450 USD.

I think i am getting interested in this option.

Can anyone suggest me what is good price for a NIB/Mint/Used Photon 4G and also how do i be 100% sure it will work with TMobile SIM and later with any Indian GSM SIM.

I may never use it for CDMA.

Ok so it does not work with US SIM cards. FU Sprint :mad:

Other than IP4/IP4S all other phones sold by GSM carriers in USA can be unlocked.

So get the phone that suits you and the condition depending on the budget from ebay.com

I ordered a Atrix last week from ebay, Mint condition used only for 2 days for 285 $.

The unlock code should cost me about 3-5 bucks from ebay, I am hoping that works ;)

^^You ordered the Atrix or Atrix 4G (are they different ???) ??
Also what other options you can suggest ?

Requirements -> Android preferred, 3.5"+ screen

Btw for the photon 4G, US SIM card won't work for sure as of now. Evil sprint :-[

raksrules said:
^^You ordered the Atrix or Atrix 4G (are they different ???) ??

Also what other options you can suggest ?

Requirements -> Android preferred, 3.5"+ screen

Btw for the photon 4G, US SIM card won't work for sure as of now. Evil sprint :-[

I got the Atrix 4G, as its called in USA.

The specs of Atrix and Atrix 4G are exactly same on gsmarena.com

I guess the release of Atrix 2 should drag the cost of original atrix down soon.

The other option is LG G2X, but it has only 512 MB RAM, and after using the LG Optimus One .. I feel the need for 1 GB RAM.

PS: The average cost for new Atrix is still around 350-370$, I got lucky in a auction.

Although it was almost a month of bidding on over 15 atrix's to finally win a bid at VFM point.

Assuming i plan to get a Motorola Atrix 4G, should i seek for the unlocked devices on ebay or it is ok if it check locked ones too ? If locked then how easy is it to unlock it and how much would it cost (if any) ?

archat68 said:
Atrix unlock code cost 5$ but if you are lucky you can it for free from AT&T also.

Okies...so now let me login to auction sniper and add couple of these for sniping :)

Edit: Or may be not now, i don't need to buy the phone until December, first week so will start the search in mid of November i guess.

Will keep checking if any other option pops up in the mean time.

What is the ok price to pay for Mint samsung captivate ?

Also in case i get a locked AT&T captivate then how easy it is to unlock it to use with Tmobile or with Indian operators in future ??

Back