iOS Why Apple doesn't talk RAM, battery size, or clock speed

raksrules

Elite
Found an article which I think is interesting. Please do not derail the tread. Lets have healthy discussion or just read and move on or feel free to ignore this.

Link: https://www.imore.com/why-apple-doesnt-talk-ram-battery-size-or-clock-speed

Apple absolutely will not tell you how much RAM is in an iPhone. They will hide how many milliamp hours the battery is. They won't even reveal the clock speed of their custom chipsets — it's not listed on the spec sheet. You can't even turn your own damn AirPods on or off your own damn self.

But why, though?

Toxic spec syndrome​

Spec sheets are… borderline toxic in tech these days. They're quantitative, not qualitative, and often presented without a lick of context or qualification as to what they mean or how they affect the user experience.

And, because some people, in some markets, insist on buying almost entirely based on the specs on the box. Some companies just go to ridiculous levels goosing those specs. It's why we see quad camera systems where, like, three and a half of the cameras are junky 2-megapixel macros. Just so they can have that number on the box.

Apple has always insisted on… spec fighting different. And I'm not here to make excuses for it, to justify it. Just to explain it. You can agree with it or disagree, and on a case by case basis. You can love it or hate it. But If you hate it, I just want you to hate smart.

No RAM for you​

So, let's start with the memory, the RAM. iPhones just don't need as much RAM as Android phones. That's the simple truth.

First, Apple makes iOS and iPhones, the whole widget, the whole stake, from silicon to icons, from atoms to pixels. So, they can optimize iOS specifically for the iPhone. Google makes Android, but a wide variety of different companies slap it on a wider variety of even more different Android phones. That means you get just a ton of options to choose from, but it also means you get a lot less optimization for each and every one of those options.

Second, for similar reasons, iOS is a native platform, and iOS Apps are native apps written in native languages, Objective C and Swift. Android is an interpreted platform, and Android apps run through virtual machines. Originally, Dalvik, now the Android Runtime, and are written in interpreted languages, Java or Kotlin. Again, more flexibility, less optimization. And that goes deeper as well, down to how iOS uses automatic reference counting and Android uses Garbage Collection, and there are pros and cons to both approaches, but Apple's is just lighter on RAM.

Third, multitasking and memory management are surfaced differently. Both iOS and Android are full-on multitasking monsters. Steve Jobs demoed seamless native app task switching on the original iPhone. Apple has just never extended full multitasking access to third-party apps. They treat iOS like a console. And Google treats Android pretty much like a full-on traditional computer environment. So, you can run out of RAM on Android, but iOS… iOS will jettison your app with savage fury any time and every time it needs to. The bigger the app, like a game or social networking, and the more important the new task, like launching the camera, the faster and harder they get the memory door slammed on them.

And I know I got some of those technical details wrong, so just yell at me in the comments, like, tabs vs. spaces loud. Nerds.

But, basically, it's like a tractor-trailer typically has and needs more wheels than a sports car. There's no correct amount of wheels for a vehicle, just a sufficient amount for that vehicle to get the job done, hopefully efficiently.

But rather than just explain all that, and more importantly, risk people making bad decisions based on the number on a spec sheet, Apple prefers to just not put the number on the spec sheet to begin with.

Battery nope​

Same with battery. All of those factors I just talked about, along with the custom systems-on-a-chip, or SoCs, Apple has been making for the iPhone since 2010, mean that the iPhone puts much less demand on a battery than a typical Android phone.

And, sure, they all do things now like try to split loads between lower and higher power cores, use machine learning to enhance power management, and otherwise do everything they can to get as much life out of whatever amount of battery is available.

But pumping in more battery into a phone isn't like pumping more jelly into a donut. Everything is a trade-off. Everything is a compromise. And batteries are hot, heavy, and not radio transparent.

So, Apple tries to lock into the life they want to deliver and then figure out how small of a battery they can get away with to deliver it.

And that means, instead of talking about battery capacity, or milliamp hours, where they look small, Apple only talks about battery efficiency, or usage hours, where it tends to scale well by device size.

Clocked out​

Same with clock speed on those SoCs. Apple routinely fields, core for core, some of the fastest processors on the planet. Fastest in mobile and, straight out the M1 gate, in the running for desktop already as well.

But they never, not ever talk about clock speed. Because, for them, it's just an implementation detail. The highest frequency they can run at given the thermal envelop of the device they're inside. And when that changes from an iPad to a Mac, they let the frequency go up, and when heat has saturated the whole stack, they turn frequency down.

But unlike other companies, Apple won't just pump voltage in to goose frequencies and force performance at the expense of heat and power consumption. If given a choice, if they could increase efficiency and battery life a lot by giving up absolute performance numbers a little, that's a trade-off the silicon team will absolutely make... 12 times out of 10.

And that means other companies can and will post higher core counts, higher frequencies, higher all the things but performance efficiency. So, while Apple is absolutely not above bragging about being so damn fast, they don't want to get into the weeds of… speeds and feeds.

They don't want to get stuck arguing over the nebulous benefits of non-meaningful numbers. They'd rather have inarguable experience benefits.

It all boils down to the same reason AirPods, even the AirPods Pro and brand-new AirPods Max, don't have power switches.

Designing for humans​

Apple designs products, so the 80-90% of normal human beings don't have to stress over things like micro-managing battery-life or even remembering to switch headphones on or off.

Which is, of course, absolute anathema to the 10-20% of us tech nerds, who rapidly race to ruin it for ourselves by stressing over the lack of micro-management and on/off switches.

But regular people just shouldn't have to worry about keeping devices charged between 20 and 80%. So Apple just builds better and better charging controllers to do that for them. They shouldn't even have to worry that the battery will run down if they forget to turn a device off. So Apple uses sensors like accelerometers to put devices to sleep when they're not moving. That way, there's no switch, so you can't forget. It's just handled.

Now, that's not to say Apple's philosophy is right or good for everyone, far from it. Or that the way Apple chooses to implement that philosophy is always even right for anyone. Because they have more than their fair share of bugs and butterfly screw-ups all the time as well. That's why it's so important that we have so many different options to choose from.

Apple's singular goal has always been to make technology simpler and more accessible for the mainstream, to abstract away the complexities, and to try to make things… just work.

The only reason it's a problem is that design and performance are often so good, we nerds want it too. But then immediately want to take it about and see how it all… just works. Most especially when it stops working… or is just not.

Hope your disclosure doesn't mean agree or move on

Found an article which I think is interesting. Please do not derail the tread. Lets have healthy discussion or just read and move on or feel free to ignore this.

The article has no objective comparisons just sounds like marketing jimbo to say apple is better. With the same hardware it performs similar or better? Anything to show or prove that. Nope.

Authors Call out themselves to abuse them for being non technical.

Apart from being a derived vs non derived language I couldn't get even 1 useful fact from the whole article. They keep saying i am not here to be biased and throughout the article they are 100% biased. Reading out apple's vision and goal in every sentence. Like am i here to enroll into the apple army or judge a product?

Seriously the author told us he was going to explain something and every second line is about apple has always strived to achieved xyz. At least be a little less transparent while advertising

Occams razor : often the most simple explanation is the right one.

How about this explanation which is much less convoluted?

Apple spends the money on marketing and buying media, so that they can get away with using lesser specs. They actively try to hide this and save money = improve profit

Last edited:
Everybody already knows that Apple builds an optimized OS for their hardware. That still is not a good enough reason not to give out specs. In fact, if I had built something so optimized I would prefer to give out specs and show that our system runs on so little and gives out insane SoT on such a small battery. It is very obvious, why they don't give out those specs. IMO, it is because then they will have to justify the high prices for their phones.
If this reasoning was true, then why do they list the specs for their laptops. Even the laptops are running proprietary OS which is fully optimized for their hardware, so even there, they shouldn't feel the need to give out the specs.

This is what I believe is the reasoning behind Apple's choice of hiding the specs. They believe that their users aren't savvy enough to not get pulled into the spec war. They believe that they will lose some users who will question the low specs and high prices and jump ship. If Apple was confident enough that their optimization is a good enough reason for the users to stay, they wouldn't be afraid of revealing the specs. I feel the users already know all this and Apple needs to have more confidence in themselves and their optimized software and hardware. Most of the users who are already invested in the ecosystem aren't going to leave just because the iPhone has lower specs.

CPU clock speed is not a very useful spec and I am not surprised. Saying that the laptop CPU is running at 2.4G tells me nothing. Bench marking results are far more useful.

RAM on laptops and desktops is a different story though. I doubt they will drop this one from the specs.

For Intel:
Processor
2.0GHz quad-core
10th‑generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 6MB shared L3 cache

Configurable to:

2.3GHz quad‑core
10th‑generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache

M1:
Chip Apple M1 chip
8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores
8-core GPU
16-core Neural Engine

Last edited:
It is very obvious, why they don't give out those specs. IMO, it is because then they will have to justify the high prices for their phones.
iPhones is USA are not that expensive especially compared to flagship Samsung prices. It's only in India that they are seen as a separate brand due to jacked up prices. I don't know the reason but someone told it's same like GPU prices in India. I think there is middleman involved here, others can chime in on this.

Exactly^^.. even my cousin told me the same thing that Apple is the West is much common viz a viz India. It is expensive but not to that level as in India. Those taxes, conversion of dollar to rupee does seem to hit hard.
I may be wrong, feel free to correct it.

iPhones is USA are not that expensive especially compared to flagship Samsung prices. It's only in India that they are seen as a separate brand due to jacked up prices. I don't know the reason but someone told it's same like GPU prices in India. I think there is middleman involved here, others can chime in on this.
I think you misunderstood my statement.
For a same $700/800 phone any Android will usually have higher specs. So if I was on the fence between those devices, I might question why Apple is charging the same for lower specs. Like I said, this will only be true for people not invested in the Apple ecosystem.
It's a different story that one can only find after using both devices that Android needs the higher specs and iOs doesn't. Similarly, only after using one finds out how restricitve iOs is compared to Android.

Just comparing the price of unlocked phones, iPhone 12 Pro Max 128GB - $1099 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G 128GB - $1299.

Prices referenced from official websites.
For a same $700/800 phone any Android will usually have higher specs. So if I was on the fence between those devices, I might question why Apple is charging the same for lower specs. Like I said, this will only be true for people not invested in the Apple ecosystem.
It's a different story that one can only find after using both devices that Android needs the higher specs and iOs doesn't. Similarly, only after using one finds out how restricitve iOs is compared to Android.
But iPhones hold their value for longer period, mainly due to being supported for longer periods. Instead of usual 1-2 years you can keep it for 3-4 years, not much change in iOS iterations and hardware spec bump is also minimal between the generations. Apart from that design also doesn't change that drastically. So you will have less urge to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Android world is fast moving accompanied with slow updates, brands can't hold their value.

Last edited:
Exactly^^.. even my cousin told me the same thing that Apple is the West is much common viz a viz India. It is expensive but not to that level as in India. Those taxes, conversion of dollar to rupee does seem to hit hard.
I may be wrong, feel free to correct it.
Having stayed in US for half a decade, I can, from personal experience assert that iPhones are not considered luxury in US. In US client offices, I have seen almost 70% people owning iPhones. Most times, one from last 2 years only.

I absolutely concur with your points here. I am fully aware that similarly priced Android phone vs iPhone will have more RAM, storage and even MicroSD card and probably even more features and being android, it is less restrictive. There is no taking away that. But you have to understand that at least in Indian landscape, it is perception that iPhones are luxury and justify the price while all other brands at same price are rip offs (even if it may not be true).

Today, if you go outside these forums and tech enthusiasts, if you see someone spending 70K on a samsung, you may probably hear the other person saying..."Itna hi kharcha karna tha to iPhone hi le leta". I am not saying it is true or not. So please don't flame me on this. I am just trying to put forth perception of a person not so technically inclined.

I have been on the other side when I was also of same opinion that iPhones are waste and they command obscene amount of money for what they offer. I still say they are very expensive. But after using iPhone for last 8 years, I am comfortable with iOS and don't really wish to change to Android, I don't hate android, I just like iOS more. I use android tablet and love the fact that I can download torrents on my tab directly and get apps from 3rd party sources.

Last edited:
Well only brands in Android world that I cared about was HTC and Nexus/Pixel line. I liked the build quality and designs of HTC and Sense was one of my favourite flavour. The other is Pixel and I feel if some day I can go back to any Android then it would be a Pixel phone for sure. But since I am using a small phone that would be a distant dream unless they launch Pixel in smaller size.

Specs are over rated. As long as the OS is optimized for the hardware, it will beat raw power - case in point - Pixels vs other Android phones. I am running a P4a, and I am surprised EVERY SINGLE DAY how the **** is it able to manage so much battery life with that puny battery (3080 mAh).
More case in point - Pixel's camera. Google ran so many optimizations on this 4 year old sensor that it still beats many "flagships" out there, all without tinkering with any settings. Optimizations work.
Coming to the iPhone, raw specs are not the whole story. I am sure Apple does it's variations on the price point, but the highlight for me is the DV video capture on the current crop. Doing standard 4k and 8k for a long time on ANY Android flagship is a herculean task - look at OP8 Pro and other SD 865 phones overheating with this task - now compare it with iP12 - they do LIVE Dolby Vision 4k 30/60 fps (Pro models), and you can edit it on the phone.
That's ****ing insane.
I can make my P4a "look" faster than an iP12 - by changing animation settings - but that does not mean a 6GB P4a is faster than an iP12. Certain apps might work better on Android, certain on iPhones. It's all about optimizations.

Did Nokia mention specs on their phones when they were killing it everywhere? I don't remember actually.
Not initially but I think the screen size and number of colours were a thing in the mid-noughties. Incidentally, my first colour phone was a Samsung X100, purchased on that criteria alone. Of course, the camera MP count became a thing once we moved away from VGA.

In US, no companies phones are seen as luxury items. Yes, Samsung phones might be a little costlier compared to iPhones but that doesn't make them luxury.
Having made quite a few friends on XDA, the general public's opinion in US was that Android is for the nerds/geeks and iPhones for everyone else. That has changed over the years though.
The thread was started to discuss about the article. I put forth what I thought was the reason behind why Apple doesn't want to get into a spec war. That's it. I would suggest others do the same, that is discuss about the article.

Edit - Alekhkhanna made a great point about Pixel phones. They have always had meagre specs(apart from processor) compared to other flagships, but much better optimized software. However, they aren't hiding the specs of those phones. I guess, since earnings from the Pixel phones aren't the major revenue earner for Google, they wouldn't be that worried about lower sales compared to Apple. I seriously don't know what Apple are afraid of. By this time everyone knows that Apple doesn't provide a big bump in specs with every iteration and that it doesn't need to provide huge specs to run nicely and obviously Apple users already know that and they are still buying their stuff.

Last edited:
I can make my P4a "look" faster than an iP12 - by changing animation settings - but that does not mean a 6GB P4a is faster than an iP12. Certain apps might work better on Android, certain on iPhones. It's all about optimizations.
The problem is that any third-party app is far more optimised on iOS, not in any short measure due to Apple's stringent policies. It requires someone really dedicated to optimise anything on Android. I still find the best apps on Android to be the ones I purchased more than half a decade ago that are still actively maintained by the developers. All the recent ad-focused apps end up being truly miserable.

In US, no companies phones are seen as luxury items. Yes, Samsung phones might be a little costlier compared to iPhones but that doesn't make them luxury.
Having made quite a few friends on XDA, the general public's opinion in US was that Android is for the nerds/geeks and iPhones for everyone else. That has changed over the years though.
The thread was started to discuss about the article. I put forth what I thought was the reason behind why Apple doesn't want to get into a spec war. That's it. I would suggest others do the same, that is discuss about the article.

I believe it is in their marketing DNA, legacy carried over with Jobs. They feel they know best for the consumers, and don't want to burden them with specs.

To some extent, I agree with it. While I would love to check specs, compare etc, my parents would want something that just works. Almost all Android companies market specs, not experience (except Samsung to an extent), and hence we are at a specs war.

Apple goes in the other direction. Outside the western world, they know they have a "luxury" recognition, and thus market the experience.

The problem is that any third-party app is far more optimised on iOS, not in any short measure due to Apple's stringent policies. It requires someone really dedicated to optimise anything on Android. I still find the best apps on Android to be the ones I purchased more than half a decade ago that are still actively maintained by the developers. All the recent ad-focused apps end up being truly miserable.
Apple controls each and every part of the chain from making their own CPU to App distribution, no other manufacture has such levels of control. Without it, forget optimisation you can't even provide a decent user experience.

They feel they know best for the consumers, and don't want to burden them with specs.

But how can they. Everyone is going to use their devices for some common tasks and some tasks uniquely random to that user. I remember having to sell off my iPad within 3 days of buying it because it couldn't do the simple task of playing a file over network, even after spending 1000 bucks on software. Apparently the way Apple had implemented it, and hence all third party apps had to do it too, was to have a server app running on the hardware from which one was supposed to stream the data from. I think I had created a thread for this exact issue on TE back in the day.
Also, for me personally, ownership of the hardware and freedom to do with it what I want feels quite important. I guess it stems from the fact that I was always tinkering with Android phones and never running the stock firmware, as most of us on this forum would. I really had fun with the last iPhone I had - 4s,just because of the jailbreak. I remember using Gesture based navigation thanks to Zephyr nearly a decade ago. This is the power of open systems and something which I, personally, wouldn't like to give up.

Back