why arent movies shot in 16:9?

I was using a CRT for the past 5 years. Now finally i have upgraded to a Dell 2209wa 22" lcd hoping that i would be able to see movies without black bars or atleast very little black bars as my monitor is in 16:10 ratio.

But all the 720p movies are in 1280X534 and the 1080p are in 1920x800. The picture doesnt fill the whole screen. Any reason why we dont get the full resolution. Doesnt the cameras used in movies shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio? What about the retail Blu ray and HD dvds. What is their resolution?

well its because of the theatres which still have 2:35:1 screens,so even in blu ray and HD dvds u will still get black bars if shot in above format,or even 1.85:1 format.

All new movies are made in cinemascope or 2.35:1. I think the only TV that supports such a resolution is that new philips TV.

I know for sure that all studios actually create content in 16:9 but later they are converted to different formats.

Its a long practice. Even Sholay the first Indian movie to be shot in cinemascope was not. Check the certificate and it will still say shot in 35mm. a 4:3 original aspect to be panned and cropped.

If you had downloaded these movies from the net, then chances are there that people crop these movies keeping the width same but reducing the height of the movies- to reduce the download size and keep up the quality :)

swordfish123 said:
I was using a CRT for the past 5 years. Now finally i have upgraded to a Dell 2209wa 22" lcd hoping that i would be able to see movies without black bars or atleast very little black bars as my monitor is in 16:10 ratio.

But all the 720p movies are in 1280X534 and the 1080p are in 1920x800. The picture doesnt fill the whole screen. Any reason why we dont get the full resolution. Doesnt the cameras used in movies shoot in 16:9 aspect ratio? What about the retail Blu ray and HD dvds. What is their resolution?

lol...those are pirated once. The ripper reduces to maintain a good file size.

forum67 said:
lol...those are pirated once. The ripper reduces to maintain a good file size.

Actually even 16Gig downloads have black bands. I do not see any file size saving being done there. I do not think that is the reason.

And Movies like The Dark Knight (16gig blu-ray rip) had a dynamic aspect ratio.. most scenes had black bars, but some action scenes were of 16:9 :) (Eg: the full bank robbery scene)

sato1986 said:
And Movies like The Dark Knight (16gig blu-ray rip) had a dynamic aspect ratio.. most scenes had black bars, but some action scenes were of 16:9 :) (Eg: the full bank robbery scene)

Yeah even i noticed it. Some of the outdoor scenes were in 16:9 ratio.

And i dont think the rippers would reduce the horizontal resolution to reduce the file size. They might not encode the black bars. I am sure they wont mess up the resolution.

sato1986 said:

That's cos they were shot on IMAX cameras.

Back