Why can softwares utilize all the resources avaiable to them in system for speedy task completion.

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
I was trying to create a usb bootable for W20 iso. now the default program uses 7zip. my system utilization was only 1% to 3 % most. Why ? Why can't 7zip use all the resources it has on the system to complete the task faster ?

Are you talking about compressing or extracting?
Usually extracting doesn't require as much resource as compressing. And if you are compressing, make sure you are using the "High" or ultra preset.

I was trying to create a usb bootable for W20 iso. now the default program uses 7zip. my system utilization was only 1% to 3 % most. Why ? Why can't 7zip use all the resources it has on the system to complete the task faster ?
If I'm not mistaken, 7zip is single threaded. And in compression/decompression of files on an ssd, the bottleneck is how fast a single cpu core can do the task. So if you have a 128core processor and a quad core processor, and you use a single threaded program, 7zip will still use only one thread due to the nature of how it works (assuming clockspeed and IPC and architecture is the same).

7zip was designed keeping in mind only utilization of single core/thread.

You can try setting its priority to real time in task manager before performing any jobs and see if anything improves..

LZMA format is the default 7-zip format, supports multi-threading and P4's hyper-threading: https://www.7-zip.org/7z.html

I think, Extracting/Compressing is File I/O operation which mainly uses your disk performance, CPU is there just to support it. Same task will run faster on SSD/NVMe as compared to HDD, even if you have high-end CPU.

Back