Laptops why do laptops still come with cd drives? no non cd option in 13+ inches

CD /Dvd is now outdated ?

• Yes

• No , still need for pirated stuff.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr India

Disciple
Have not ever had to use or buy a cd/dvd in the last 2 years. I feel laptops should just drop the cd drive as it just makes them take usefull space and weight. I dont even see a non cd laptop except those 13.3 inchand under sizes. anyone agrees ?

DVD are not dead yet. They play a vital role in Technology. Many softwares and games are coming by Discs only -_-
Why so much hatred on DVD drives :p

i feel consumer should have options. minority ppl play games on a laptop. software one can download anyway and is more convenient. a dvd does not even last and a few scratches and errors keeppopping up.

I haven't used the CD/DVD slot for ages now! My Inspiron doesn't even have the slot and I only just remembered that it isn't there! :p

That being said, my sister is a doctor and medical researcher and cannot live without without a DVD drive as a lot of the conferences she attends provide the material on DVDs. The international ones (in developed countries :D) provide the material on write locked flash drives but rest all (Most of Asia, Africa etc.) still use DVDs.

Digital content is on the rise. But the internet FUPs in India arent. So I still prefer buying a disk for the new game releases so that I can minimize the download size saving the valuable FUP.

I buy physical games most of the time for my PC, but its only for the box. I still download the game from steam[emoji14]

Well, 99% of the games are. Can you name a game which comes on a disc, but is not available on steam?[emoji14]I think even EA has stopped selling physical copies.
You already mentioned it - All EA games.[DOUBLEPOST=1461054581][/DOUBLEPOST]Also to add, BF4 was whooping 40 GB for base game and add 3 to 5 GB for each of the DLC's.

You already mentioned it - All EA games.
Well. That wasn't what I was trying to say. My point was, even if I get physical copies, I still download the game from game clients. Like I got the GTA 5 for PC which consists of 7DVDs. My friend installed it before me, and he said it took around 3-4 hours to installed. I downloaded the game via steam in 4 hours[emoji14]

Well, I cant afford to download such huge games since the FUP's arent great. That was my point. And which is why I prefer disk.[DOUBLEPOST=1461055059][/DOUBLEPOST]
My friend installed it before me, and he said it took around 3-4 hours to installed. I downloaded the game via steam in 4 hours[emoji14]
4 hrs installation - depends on the config (I assume a HDD here and not SSD)
50 GB in 4 hrs with 4 mbps plan - Highly unlikely to my knowledge

Its strange. I have a 4mbps plan, and the speed in Steam if I select Mumbai as the server is around 500kb/s. But if I select Israel as the download server, I get 5-6mb/s download speed. Don't know what's the logic behind that.

I haven't used the CD/DVD slot for ages now! My Inspiron doesn't even have the slot and I only just remembered that it isn't there! :p

That being said, my sister is a doctor and medical researcher and cannot live without without a DVD drive as a lot of the conferences she attends provide the material on DVDs. The international ones (in developed countries :D) provide the material on write locked flash drives but rest all (Most of Asia, Africa etc.) still use DVDs.
which inspiron is it ? must be less than 14inch to have no dvd slot.

I still prefer physical copies of games and OS. Need a DVD drive for that.
Plus i felt its easier to restore my lappy from a ghost disc.

is there any 14 inch laptop with no DVD drive right now that is under 35k as well ? i dont want a dvd drive in my laptop. makes them look outdated and ugly.

The only reason I use the Laptop is for the DVD drive..
For my medical research and radiography images of patients in Dicom format which can't be read by Tablets, I in fact returned MacBook Air 14 for the hassle of connecting portable DVD drive frequently.

I use ipad, Smartphone and yoga tab for everything else ; including preparing presentations and other documents.

Back