Graphic Cards Why do ppl consider NVIDIA superior?

shrikky

Disciple
Hey ive been using more AMD than NVIDIA...it just struck me cuz 7870>GTX 580.. bang for the buck + lesser temp/lesser power consumption etc... But still ppl prefer Nvidia.. Why is that? Isnt AMD giving value for money

//I ve used more AMD than Nvidia.. quality wise AMD rocks, my HD 4890 still runs awesome 60+Fps maxed out in CS:GO and DOTA2 (forgot BF3 been a while since i played),.but generally i felt the screen is not as sharp as nvidia, its lil blurry. Ok i dont want FAN wars, just a legitimate debate :)

Leaving aside the fanboyish opinions, there simply isn't anything like AMD > nVidia or nVida > AMD. What matters is performance and value for money comparisons in each generation. I have been using both ATi and nVidia Graphics cards (since before the existence of GPU's) for 15 years now and have been alternating between either depending on which ever gives me the most value each time. Some people say that AMD/ATi has poor drivers which is entirely untrue. There are rare occasions when I faced issues in games due to drivers, but I have faced similar issues when was using nVidia cards too. My last three GPU purchases have been AMD since they offered better value for the money spent and I have had no occasion to regret it. In this generation however nVidia cards offer better value for money. In my opinion, the value for money goes like GTX670 > GTX680 > HD7950 > HD7970.

Also I see you trying to compare 7870 and GTX580 which is pointless as they are GPUs from two different generations. A person looking for a high end GPU would go for a GTX670 or a GTX680.

Yep, there is nothing like nvidia is superior than amd or vice versa.
It is the price to performance, support, software support etc.
For example in GTX200 vs HD4000 series, amd owned price to performance.
In HD5000 and HD6000 vs GTX400 and 500 series, again amd owned price to performance crown which made nvidia do some price cuts.
But now HD7000 vs GTX600, things are completely opposite!
If you look at both flagships, ie HD7970 vs GTX680, the former is priced at 35.5k whereas latter goes for 32.5k plus it beats the former in both performance and efficiency.
But also this is based on strictly gaming. If you condsider other facts, amd GCN is very fast at folding and beats kepler handsdown. Also HD7970 has more overclocking headroom than GTX680. But then, if you oc both upto their limits, the difference is negligible.
So in the end, it depends on user. For gamer only, like me, GTX680 is the way to go, whereas for others who do some folding to HD7970 would be better.
Hope this clarifies what I want to say.
(P.S.- in new te, while posting through mobile, I am unable to end para, para break do not show up and is continuos) .
Would I have to use html p tag for it? Or br tag?edit- looks like I'll have to use br tag

People think nvidia is superior because of marketing, more brand presence, better drivers in the initial years, more features like 3D/Physx etc, more support by game developers due to sponsorships etc. However, it is a matter of personal preference and also varies from generation to generation. This is the first time when at the top end it is basically a tie/very close for all practical purposes.

Also usually a person considers the brand he bought first as the best.
I had got an nvidia as my first gpu and used to consider nvidia as the king without giving any consideration to amd, but when I looked up amd i found them comparable to nVidia.

Sorta true. Ex: I have not gone back to nvidia since 9600gt which was my last nvidia and I have been on 4850 5850 6970 7970 since, so kinda got used to it. Also, formatting from scratch is a pain unless there is something big to gain, so nvidia to nvidia and amd to amd transition is easier :)

i dont think people actually consider nvidia to be superior,rather nvidia is more preferred so to speak due to its brand presence and sales services.a normal guy going for an entry level rig and who doesnt have much knowledge about the type of offerings will mostly prefer nvidia due to the brand and their standing
i agree with lord's point about value for money.i myself have been buying cards for the last 2 years and the card which i have chosen in my range was which gave me the best performance for my money for the games i play.

Depends what do you mean by people; those who know always go for technically superior option, fanboys are ..... well ...... fanboys.

And than there are ignorant kind like a friend of mine; for him gaming card means nvidia and he was surprised when I asked him why he has not purchased a ATI card?

his response was like " what do you mean ATI; I need a gaming card; so I get nvidia.

Depends what do you mean by people; those who know always go for technically superior option, fanboys are ..... well ...... fanboys.

And than there are ignorant kind like a friend of mine; for him gaming card means nvidia and he was surprised when I asked him why he has not purchased a ATI card?

his response was like " what do you mean ATI; I need a gaming card; so I get nvidia.

Bit harsh calling him ignorant.like i said in my previous post,people who do not know the nuances of the market,they will basically go for the tried and tested over here.Currently that space is occupied by nvidia.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

after all nvidia does have tie ups with the studios making stuff like "The way its meant to be played", so an average guy who does not look deep into the market will prefer nVidia, because the games say so and since most of the GPU buyers are usually gamers the prefer nvidia.

Bit harsh calling him ignorant.like i said in my previous post,people who do not know the nuances of the market,they will basically go for the tried and tested over here.Currently that space is occupied by nvidia.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't quite agree. ATi is just as much a brand name as nVidia and it is just as old as nVidia's. When I got my first 3D Accelerator card (as they were called in those days) based around nVidia Riva TNT, ATi, 3DFx and Matrox were the popular brand names in the 3D market where as S3, SiS, Cirrus Logic etc were the popular brand names in the 2D graphics market. Its not like ATi didn't have a brand presence till recently. In any case, anyone who was interested in 3D Accelerators knew about these brands. Even today, the only people who wouldn't know about AMD/ATi are the kind who tend get their knowledge from their biased computer dealers.

^^ true, 2-3 years back when I was looking for my first graphics card :)ashamed:), I searched net for reviews and all and narrow it to 4850 (as that was in my budget). TechShop stock ditched me and they offered me GTS 250 1 GB for 200-300 difference so grabbed that. So now days a simple search or discussion will reveal that its not just Nvidia. And to again put; I am not talking about uncles and likes; who anyways are not going to believe google but their contact(who may be a IT guy in some company/govt office but knows nothing about gaming graphics card) But than they do not believe in net banking either; so its just the way they thinks..

But when some one from us; who have all internet readily available with them; but still act like uncles. Its just ignorance nothing else.

I think that nvidia has more brand presence in India.
Most of the people who do not know much about today's tech, do not even know amd(ati) even exists. Their mentality is that graphics card should be nvidia's or it is a crap and won't run games properly.
Eg- My friend recently purchased nvidia 8400gs(very popular here!) and asked me which gpu do I have. I told him amd HD5770. He replied, "huh! That's a weak card! My card would destroy yours because mine is nvidia!". I did not even feel like correcting him!
But I dont think it's the ignorance, it's the lack of info! All people like my friend, purchase all the products from a local 'dukanwalah' (for the lack of better word!:p) who dosen't know anything about tech! And these people give the customers all false and made up info to make their sales.

I think you got your answer by now. In india people prefer both the card. Some people want lesser temp/lesser power consumption then they go with ATI card with their performance, and their are some other people who didn't care about lesser temp/lesser power consumption. They only want the best performance and best graphic so they go with Nvidia graphic card. Because Nvidia come with best performance rather then ATI card. I think most people are agree with me.

But I dont think it's the ignorance, it's the lack of info! All people like my friend, purchase all the products from a local 'dukanwalah' (for the lack of better word!:p) who dosen't know anything about tech! And these people give the customers all false and made up info to make their sales.

The info is all there; available on internet, they just don't bother looking into it. If you can find info about HD 5770; why can't your friend. He could have atleast asked you. (hence ignorant or whatever you like to call this ;))

I think that nvidia has more brand presence in India.

I don't think so. If anything, there were periods of time over the last 10~12 years when even availability of mid to high end nVidia cards was a problem in India as compared to ATi. Back in 2001, a friend who wanted a GeForce 3 based Graphics card had to order it after paying full amount in advance and still had to wait for 40 days for it to be imported by the dealer while I picked up a high end Radeon GPU directly from a store in Hyderabad. There was a similar situation during the GTX2xx era as well. I don't think that ATi/AMD as a brand has less visibility or availability in India compared to nVidia. If someone knows nVidia, but not AMD/ATi, then it is just plain lack of knowledge. it has nothing to do with brand presence.

Ignorance | Define Ignorance at Dictionary.com

Ignorance: lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc. :p

There is no lack of knowledge sources, its the person who lacks the knowledge and that is what is called ignorance. There isn't even a excuse to say that there is lack of knowledge sources in this day. We are living in the era of the Internet where a Rikshaw walla living in a third world developing country is browsing the internet or downloading MP3's on his mobile phone.

nvidia 8400gs(very popular here!)
That is my first card and yes i too though that it destroys everything when i bought it . Now i have a HD4670 and it is crap.

Most of my friends take me with them while buying PC or any kind of tech items. I go to the dealer that supplies everything to all the shops . And every time its the same story , i ask what graphic cards do you have he shows the lowest priced GPU in the market that is available , that too only nVidia . The sales are so less for the Ati Cards that they don't even bother getting them. Same situation with the RAM , Standard DDR3 - 800MHz rams.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Now GTX 210 is Being sold AFAIK.

nVidia has better marketing than AMD/ Ati. I remember when I wanted a PC, people recommended me the 6970 and I was like, I would rather have a nVidia gfx card. A few posts later, I learnt I was being illogical, the numbers were overwhelmingly on the side of 6970 and that is what I got in the end.

Also you will notice more adverts of nVidia in tech mags and also in game cafes like Zapak etc. It just sounds like a more potent brand. But a few weeks in the forum and everyone's minds clear out. However it is still a pity to see people state in their threads that "Please suggest a nvidia card only" :facepalm:

Back