Why I'm in a tough spot in buying a phone

comp@ddict

Skilled
First of all, I started a new thread and decided not to continue my old thread because I really need to write a lot in this post, voice my concerns and explain why it's been soo hard for me to buy a phone till now.

I bought my desktop in September 2009. Months after the Athlon II X4 (quad-core) release, and the release month of AMD's formidable HD5800 series graphics card. Desktop hardware quickly gets outdated. Yet even today, July 2012 my desktop remains something formidable. It packs a quad-core, a DX11 class graphics card which can still max out most games and that too at a Full HD resolution. Now you see how future-proof my RIG really looked when I originally bought it? And how much I pat myself for making such a good buying decision.

Down 3 years and I have been researching and researching for that perfect phone to buy. And I will go over some phones:

1. Google Nexus S (13-14k)

Perhaps the best phone according to me in the under-15k budget, this phone got it all. A nice price tag, official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and a HUGE community support. I would have bought it already had it not been for the other reasons.

2. Google Galaxy Nexus (20-25k)

Perhaps the best phone to buy at all, this phone takes the got-it-all of Nexus and adds more to that too. The price tag is tad high, but hardly too much considering how good the phone is. The only sad part is that a phone of this cost should have warranty too. It's simply a big risk having a 20k+ phone which might go kaput followed by your brains frying.

3. Windows Phone 8 (?? k)

Nokia is hosting Nokia World from September 5. It is rumored that Nokia will announce 2 WP8 phone on September 5, followed by a global launch on September 7. If that is the case, I simply cannot bring myself to buy another phone if WP8 phones are soo close. I have become a fan ever since I saw Microsoft's WP8 keynote, and I have been dying to buy it. Sadly it cannot launch soon enough. WP8 is something I want. And if it indeed launches in the next 2 months, I would not be able to bring myself to it not waiting enough to buy it. I have an Android device, and it's not as appealing as Windows Phone honestly.

4. Why not other DROIDS?

Xperia Sola - A 18.5k phone which hasn't received its ICS upgrade yet. Add to that nearly ZERO community support. I'm sorry but I simply DON'T see a future in this phone. None at all. Same goes for the Galaxy Ace 2 and the Samsung Galaxy S Advance. It seems the Novathor U8500 chipset based phones are somewhat doomed.

LG Optimus 2X - There was a deal for 14.6k on the LG O2X today. I was really tempted to buy this phone. I probably would have bought it. BUT! I checked really hard on whether this phone is worth it. A phone with no ICS, some ICS ports, no future of Jelly Bean port and terrible support from nVidia in the form of Tegra 2 drivers. This phone would be outdated the moment I buy it. And I refuse to do that.

Karbonn Smart A24 - A much promised phone. To have nearly everything. A big and good display, dual core and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, launching next month. Almost too good to be true. I HAVE to wait and see what happens with this phone, or if it's some flop.

Conclusion

Believe me, I have no intention of waiting. Especially till the end of the year. But the next 2 months seem so exciting and jam-packed, that my curious side simply refuses to let me do anything else. Coin in your opinions. Add phones you believe can make it to the TO-BE-CONSIDERED list or some recent launches which YOU FEEL don't deserve to be considered.

I think you are being a bit too optimistic about getting your hands on a Win 8 device by September. According to latest rumors the first WP8 handsets will arrive sometime in November.

Nokia World September 5th. Something amazing is coming. I have a feeling it's not a pink Lumia 700. Okay have a look at the poster. I looks like a WP8 DEVICE.

And rumors of September 7 being Nokia's launch date for 2 WP8 smartphones are circulating the net. So September 7 is D-Day. If it doesn't launch, I'm buying the DROID straight away.

where are you getting a brand new nexus s under 15k? what other reasons did you not buy it already?

ebay.in

Samsung Google Nexus S I9020A - 16GB - Black Smartphone | eBay

AMOLED version. Using ICICI code the price comes down to flat 13k which makes it an amazing deal. But I figured this deal keeps coming. It will be there this month and definitely end of next month. So I decided to wait just 1 MORE MONTH.

Xperia Sola - A 18.5k phone which hasn't received its ICS upgrade yet. Add to that nearly ZERO community support. I'm sorry but I simply DON'T see a future in this phone. None at all. Same goes for the Galaxy Ace 2 and the Samsung Galaxy S Advance. It seems the Novathor U8500 chipset based phones are somewhat doomed.

Oh really!! i was thinking of getting Sola.. wat shud i do den?

If you will continue like this, i'm afraid you will never buy a smartphone in your life :annoyed:
Hardware's go outdated huhh ? they will as new phones are launching in every two months with new hardware specs to appeal new buyers or to over come their previous device shortcomings!
Galaxy Nexus is out of budget for you but rumors says next Nexus will be launched this year so again you'll wait for the nexus to reach your budget?
Get a good smartphone with least cons and settle down buddy :)

If you will continue like this, i'm afraid you will never buy a smartphone in your life :annoyed:
Hardware's go outdated huhh ? they will as new phones are launching in every two months with new hardware specs to appeal new buyers or to over come their previous device shortcomings!
Galaxy Nexus is out of budget for you but rumors says next Nexus will be launched this year so again you'll wait for the nexus to reach your budget?
Get a good smartphone with least cons and settle down buddy :)

I have Nexus S, a single core and 5 MP camera in my phones that I might buy. It's not the hardware as much as the software that bothers me. Nexus S, as far as I can see is a better purchase than a Galaxy R/LG O2X/Xperia Sola/Xperia U/Xperia P/Galaxy S Advance/Galaxy Ace 2 for me. And yeah, I mean that!

If they do release a new Quad-Core Google Nexus phone this year, chances are Galaxy Nexus price will drop the near Nexus S levels, say 16k which would make it damn affordable.

I see no mention of iPhone5 :scared14: Blasphemy! :annoyed:

I'm not filthy rich :p

I would say wait for a month and see how the Karbonn phone looks in the flesh and performs. Else get the Nexus S. No point waiting for the rest.

Exactly. I want to wait just for that and to see what happens on September 5-7 with Nokia and WP8. After that it's BUY BUY!

Oh really!! i was thinking of getting Sola.. wat shud i do den?

Well. Tell me your exact BUDGET and REQUIREMENTS with the smartphone and how LONG do you plan to USE it.

Unless you are anti-apple, I'd definitely wait and see what they pull out of the bag in October (hopefully).

P.S. aren't Google Nexus S and Google Galaxy Nexus the same handset?

Nope they aint the same
Samsung Google Nexus S - Full phone specifications

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Full phone specifications

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

@comp@ddict Preetham, dont bother with WP8. At least, by the looks of WP7.5, surely not.

This precisely what I've been feeling. It seems that phone manufacturers are just milking customers look at the HTC Desire C for example. Even I am planning to buy the Nexus S, but getting a phone without warranty does worry me.

Also, I'm fairly certain Karbonn won't have a very good developer scene until its a really famous OEM, something like the ZTE blade. Anyway, lets wait and watch. Could you point me to the LG O2X deal?

It's not hardware but software which makes phone outdated. If you want future proof then get wait for iphone 5( if you have money)
Get Galaxy nexus(If you can take risk) no point in getting Nexus S now
If you don't have money and can't take risk get Atrix 2
You will go round and round and will ultimately come to this conclusion:lol:

It's not hardware but software which makes phone outdated.

Present day smart phone wars have made it like that. I still miss the good 'ol days when people didn't cared about the soft updates. And frankly, why the hell phones would need so much updates? Manufacturers are just giving out half baked OS, luring customers in form of "updates" (my foot).
Personally, I can't digest all these hypes of "apps" and "updates". Give me room.

Present day smart phone wars have made it like that. I still miss the good 'ol days when people didn't cared about the soft updates. And frankly, why the hell phones would need so much updates? Manufacturers are just giving out half baked OS, luring customers in form of "updates" (my foot).
Personally, I can't digest all these hypes of "apps" and "updates". Give me room.

You're missing the point. Each of these updates are bringing soo much more. Look at Gingerbread, then ICS and then Jelly Bean for instance.

It's not hardware but software which makes phone outdated. If you want future proof then get wait for iphone 5( if you have money)
Get Galaxy nexus(If you can take risk) no point in getting Nexus S now
If you don't have money and can't take risk get Atrix 2
You will go round and round and will ultimately come to this conclusion:lol:

No way Artix 2. Rather LG O2X only as community support for both of them is similar.

This precisely what I've been feeling. It seems that phone manufacturers are just milking customers look at the HTC Desire C for example. Even I am planning to buy the Nexus S, but getting a phone without warranty does worry me.

Also, I'm fairly certain Karbonn won't have a very good developer scene until its a really famous OEM, something like the ZTE blade. Anyway, lets wait and watch. Could you point me to the LG O2X deal?

Yes. I have a feeling the Karbonn phone might not pick up community support. And if WP8 by Nokia isn't released on September 7, then I think I'll buy the cheapest Nexus S I can get.

Back