Android Why Is '2014 Flagship Killer' OnePlus One So Cheap?

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
If you are not already aware , OnePlus is a chinese vendor which launched its first smartphone recently , the OnePlus One. The phone blows the flagships smartphones like Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 and Nexus 5 out of the water with its specs and surprisingly low price.

oneplus one.jpg

The phone is priced at $300 for the 16GB version and 350$ for the 64GB verion.

Here are the specs of OnePlus One -

• 5.5 inch Full HD 1080p Display
  • 2.5Ghz Krait 400 Quad-Core Snapdragon 801 processor
  • 3GB RAM
  • 13MP Camera with Sony Exmor sensor and 4K video recording
  • 5MP front facing camera
  • CyanogenMod 11S with Android 4.4 KitKat OS
  • Bottom facing stereo speakers
  • 3100mAh battery

The specs are too good for the price if you compare with other smartphones on par which cost almost double.

Reason why the OnePlus One is priced so low -

The reason and strategy behind the low price of the phone has been explained by Peter Lau, CEO of OnePlus.

He told TechRadar that the phone is being sold at cost price. This has been made possible by focusing less on huge marketing and selling the device online instead of retail partners.

"Rather than put money towards a large marketing budget, we are focusing on online marketing and community interaction. Rather than working with retail partners, we rely on selling the device online."

It is a risky move but the phone has managed to attract lot of attention, thanks to its mind blowing specs and low price.

OnePlus One Availability -
The device will be launched in 16 countries including Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, and the United States.

Sadly India is not in the list for now and it is not known when the device will come here.

Last edited:
i think big companies like htc and samsung press these companies from launching their product because they know that their sales will go down

My only disappointment is the camera. Roots of this phone can be traced back to Oppo Find 5 which too has 13 MP sensor and produces disappointing photos. The reviews are also confirming that the camera is indeed a disappointment.

Otherwise this THE phone for guys for whom VFM matters more than show off factors. I would any day pick this phone (64 GB CM version) over M8 given the staggering difference in cost.

My only disappointment is the camera. Roots of this phone can be traced back to Oppo Find 5 which too has 13 MP sensor and produces disappointing photos. The reviews are also confirming that the camera is indeed a disappointment.

Otherwise this THE phone for guys for whom VFM matters more than show off factors. I would any day pick this phone (64 GB CM version) over M8 given the staggering difference in cost.

As per the reports, it's a tweaked Oppo Find 7a.
http://phandroid.com/2014/05/14/you...d-7a-into-a-oneplus-one-with-cyanogenmod-11s/

Whats the point in buying a phone which will have no ASS? Will it be supported at XDA? And will local mobile repair shops be able to repair it if there is a hardware problem?

Whats the point in buying a phone which will have no ASS? Will it be supported at XDA? And will local mobile repair shops be able to repair it if there is a hardware problem?

Only for the software issues you will be getting help there at XDA. And given how 1+1 is unavailable almost everywhere, I doubt local mobile repair shops will be able to help if you source it from somewhere.

ASS - Well they work kinda similar to Google Play RMA. Check their site. It's a startup so no service centre at every state in India. Given them some time, not even it's been a year that they started.

About XDA, Yes it will be supported at XDA and fransisco franco did say in twitter that he'll love to hack the phone. He is also waiting for his phone.

Any good hardware mobile without good dev support is of no use for power users . Running for basic issues like root is also PIA .
Hardware service is also very important keeping Indian quality controls and consumer rights in mind .
And all the service centers advertised by these chinese mobile sellers are fake . They dont know anything and are just middle men who will send your mobile to their head repairing office , whichever city it be . As somebody had commented earlier the service center guys dont even know that they are providing support for a device till you tell them or show on internet . Then also they will call and confirm
I got 12 mobiles from USA without warranty and one Chinese mobile with one year Indian warranty . Chinese advertised 200 service centers in India .
Chinese has no dev support , repaired twice , had to send to their Head office on my own courier charges
whereas
Till now all US mobiles have full dev support and till date none has got any hardware issues .
So dev support and service is very important . All the tall claims of hardware are no use without service and dev support

Last edited:
ASS - Well they work kinda similar to Google Play RMA. Check their site. It's a startup so no service centre at every state in India. Given them some time, not even it's been a year that they started.

About XDA, Yes it will be supported at XDA and fransisco franco did say in twitter that he'll love to hack the phone. He is also waiting for his phone.

If someone wants to put money in a brand new company with no proven record then it is their wish. Personally i would buy a device from a company which assures me proper customer service in case if any issue arises. It is good to give "chance" to a new company and those who want to take risk they can, I just am not comfortable doing so.

Any good hardware mobile without good dev support is of no use for power users . Running for basic issues like root is also PIA .
Hardware service is also very important keeping Indian quality controls and consumer rights in mind .
And all the service centers advertised by these chinese mobile sellers are fake . They dont know anything and are just middle men who will send your mobile to their head repairing office , whichever city it be . As somebody had commented earlier the service center guys dont even know that they are providing support for a device till you tell them or show on internet . Then also they will call and confirm
I got 12 mobiles from USA without warranty and one Chinese mobile with one year Indian warranty . Chinese advertised 200 service centers in India .
Chinese has no dev support , repaired twice , had to send to their Head office on my own courier charges
whereas
Till now all US mobiles have full dev support and till date none has got any hardware issues .
So dev support and service is very important . All the tall claims of hardware are no use without service and dev support
Err the OnePlus One runs CyanogenMod. Does that not count as Dev Support for you?

Err the OnePlus One runs CyanogenMod. Does that not count as Dev Support for you?
hardware support ?
I had said both if you read complete post . Except the first line rest complete post is about hardware support with proper Indian warranty and advertised service support in many cities which shouldn't be fake .
Whats the use of all the dev support if its lying in service center .
Secondly
it having CM doesn't give it dev support . CM is now a private company , any one can pay and get ROM made . Proper dev support is when users chip in . If the handset doesn't sell in US and other countries for whatever reasons then YES it doesn't has dev support . I can get same functionality with Xposed modules on any stock Vanilla ROMs which all chinese mobiles ship with . The only difference might be that this will have KITKAT and other stock might not have . But these days all new launches are advertised with KITKAT .
For me personally a mobile with good dev support means a XDA thread with atleast 20 odd pages minimum . Thats my personal experience ......
i am not a dev but a power user , you might be a dev so please order it if you want . I will wait till it has proper service center in India and good dev support with 2/3 customized ROMS on xda .

Last edited:

CM has gone private now. Moreover, this is more like Samsung customizes Android with Touchwiz, 1+1 went with CM. Dev support means more of community support and less of what the OEM has initially put in the system.

Let the phone be available first. We can discuss support then. You are 100% right about there being no guarantee about hardware support. It's never stopped people from importing phones before though

Let the phone be available first. We can discuss support then. You are 100% right about there being no guarantee about hardware support. It's never stopped people from importing phones before though
Exactly , let it come first .
This mobile is not same as importing other mobiles from USA . As i said earlier if this mobile is given to masses through carriers in USA, as 90% of USA work on carrier subsidy i will be the first guy to import it fro USA . But sadly other companies like Samsung , LG , HTC wouldn't allow that to happen so ...

Back